Crossbow questions

12/18/16 @ 1:14 PM
ORIGINAL POST
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

What is really the difference  in  price  with crossbows ?  Any where from 200 $ to over 1100 .  I understand brand names and such . What about velocities  and poundage  ? 

I am just looking  to get back in the woods again with my bad shoulders . Not looking for 50 -60 shots , maybe 30 .

Would a 300 $ one do a reasonable  job with enough practice ? 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 38 Posts
TODAY @ 9:29 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01

SJB,  I have have had a couple of Ten Points. If your safety is like mine, use your thumb and index finger on either end of the safety and you should be able to move the lock very quietly. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
9/20/17 @ 4:48 PM
Red Eagle
Red Eagle
USER since 12/17/16

Thank you SJB. The other crossbow that came in a VERY close second was the Mission Sniper Lite. Primarily for what you mentioned, it is light, at least compared to most. I hunt 90% public with stand on back and goodies and the Storm can be a little too heavy with everything. There were times after a mile walk I wish I had the Sniper Lite for sure, but love the Storm for tack driving Monster Bucks.

The price on Sniper Lite was pretty good too compared to the others if I remembered correctly. The only downfall I had was the speed. I noticed a little more Bolt drop than I would like with the Sniper Lite. The Storm is very flat shooting, hence improvement of accuracy if misjudged distances. I also questioned it's kinetic energy (passthroughs) in that 35 to 40 yard range. Also, I just feel the plastic on the Mission crossbows feel a tad chincy with the hollow plastic. Not a huge turnoff, but I could easily see busted pieces if one fell and it hit a rock.

If $ was no factor I would have a Sniper Lite for my long distance hikes. 

I felt last year that crossbow companies are no where near the technology that they can turn out. In about 4 years I will get a different crossbow and it will be lighter for sure. And I believe companies will make them lighter but hopefully not sacrificing durability and speed. 

On a side note: I was a bigger fan of the reverse limb crossbows due to the weight being closer to you and felt way lighter and balanced when shooting. Forward limbs felt too front heavy for me except for the sniper lite. I also upgraded and purchased the Hawk crossbow scope with the etched yardage markers. The top crossbow scope by far in all aspects compared to all the others, bar none.

Edited on 9/20/17 4:56 PM
Post Your Comment
9/20/17 @ 3:21 PM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01

Great post Red - since you tested so many, did you have a close second and third choice?  I have a ten point and like everything about but 2 things.  The safety is very noisy and it is heavy.

Post Your Comment
9/20/17 @ 2:59 PM
Red Eagle
Red Eagle
USER since 12/17/16

I use a Crossbow and can pull a regular bow back just fine. I personally use a crossbow for one reason and one reason only. To ethically kill my quarry. I believe to put down a Mature deer it takes a few factors but the main 2 in my eyes is accuracy and a complete pass through, both of which the crossbow excels at. I primarily hunt trophy whitetails and it would disturb me beyond compare if I would wound a giant and have him die and feed coyotes because I didn't use best possible method in harvesting him.

People who diss Crossbows then cannot support Compounds. People say Crossbows make it "Easy". Doesn't 80% let off make it easy? Doesn't a lighted pin compared to shooting instinctive make it easy? A Peep sight? A Stabilizer? String silencers? A mechanical release? Carbon Arrows? Lighted knocks? So dissing the mechanical advantages of the crossbow is silly when the mechanical advantages of the compound over the Recurve outweigh the advantages of the crossbow over the compound. Personally, I don't listen to what anyone says on how I hunt or what I hunt with. That's my choice and freedom.

To the original question. When I purchased my Crossbow last year I literally tested over 15 crossbows. Why the price differential??? Here is what I tended to find. Cheaper crossbows tend to have less of a warranty, sometimes less forward hand protection, squeaky moving parts, less speed, rails that may warp, limbs that may split. And the big thing I tended to find is that cheaper crossbows tend to have very POOR customer service in case something did go wrong! This is what I tended to find but there are exceptions to the rule. A cheaper one may suit you just fine.

More expensive crossbows can still have the same issues but the odds are greatly reduced. Warranty's are usually longer and the crossbow itself just feels better built. Shoot enough of them and you will know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, even the most expensive crossbow that I tested was the Scorpyd ($1800.00). Super fast, Smooth and well balanced. HOWEVER, I could not flip the safety over with out it making a click. I must of tried at least 20 times go slow or pinching and sliding that safety and it would still make a distinctive click. That was a deal breaker for me. Maybe it's changed for this year. 

Ultimately, I purchased the Horton Storm because it felt well balanced, fast and smooth. The overall balance and feel was my deciding factor. And because it was a subsidiary company of Tenpoint it was a little less in price but had the same Tenpoint build and customer service. 

So shoot em all, set a budget, practice, and most important be in the woods.

Edited on 9/20/17 3:06 PM
Post Your Comment
9/8/17 @ 7:53 PM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER since 5/11/03

I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring. I'm 62 and been bowhunting for 40 plus years. I've seen my share of changes and welcome all the improvements weather I choose to use them or not. I killed my 1st 3 deer with a recurve and solid steel broadheads (BODKINS). Some of the thoughts stated here on crossbows are the same ones I heard many years ago when compounds hit the market. Last week I was fortunate enough to hunt at a friends place in Kentucky and killed my best buck ever. I used my compound with my lone 1 pin site and I still shoot with my bare fingers because that's how I choose to hunt. I own a nice crossbow but can't use it there until after Oct.1. 

I say to each his own. Bow hunting in any form with any equipment still has many of the same challenges. Location, weather, preparation, wind, smell, noise etc. still all come into play and getting any deer to come within range and doing everything right and putting that arrow in the right spot doesn't change just because you have the newest latest greatest technology.

Post Your Comment
9/7/17 @ 11:07 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER since 12/19/10

I'm sure that's what everyone said when compound bows came about but nobody seems to mind using that technology. If it came to using a crossbow or sitting home unable to hunt because I couldn't pull a bow back after surgery I would most definitely get a crossbow. The problem I have are the totally capable 30 year old guys using a crossbow because it's easy, that I don't get but everybody has their own style of hunting so to each their own. A little over a week til the 2017 season, can't wait! Good luck to all!

Post Your Comment
9/7/17 @ 7:41 PM
wskiph
wskiph
USER since 9/3/11

first thing to know   xbow is not archery

Post Your Comment
9/7/17 @ 7:39 PM
wskiph
wskiph
USER since 9/3/11

first thing to know   xbow is not archery

Post Your Comment
9/7/17 @ 11:39 AM
carpnot
carpnot
USER since 4/3/06

April  of this year I had rotor cuff surgery and Dr. told me I wouldn't be able to pull my bow back this year and maybe next,,So I opt to buy a crossbow I bought a Wicked Ridge G3 made by Ten Point I have been shooting it so far its been a learning process for me. It is noisy and its not like carrying my bow in the woods but like anything in life there is change we have to get used to..

I will be hunting with the crossbow this year for sure and I will see what next year will brings..I love hunting its my passion.

So if you are thinking of buying a crossbow go for it! Its your choice. 

Good Luck hunting this year !

Post Your Comment
8/15/17 @ 8:41 PM
Walleye Wizard
Walleye  Wizard
USER since 6/23/01

Get your wallet out. Buy a Raven R15. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 38 Posts