Crossbow questions

12/18/16 @ 12:14 PM
ORIGINAL POST
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
USER since 8/12/02

What is really the difference  in  price  with crossbows ?  Any where from 200 $ to over 1100 .  I understand brand names and such . What about velocities  and poundage  ? 

I am just looking  to get back in the woods again with my bad shoulders . Not looking for 50 -60 shots , maybe 30 .

Would a 300 $ one do a reasonable  job with enough practice ? 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts
1/11/17 @ 11:08 AM
Pwerfred
Pwerfred
USER since 9/10/14

if your choice is hunting with a crossbow or not hunting at all, definitely get the crossbow!

I've had one for about 10 years. Its kept me in the woods longer than if I just used a vertical bow. They are heavy, cumbersome and loud. They don't shoot any further than a vertical bow. Most good compounds shoot further, as they are far quieter than crossbows. I've killed a couple deer and a bear with mine. They all died quickly and efficiently as if I shot them with a vertical bow. They do allow you to be ''locked and loaded'' and ready for your shot, just like you are with a rifle, but that's where the similarity ends. For the most part, you'll get one shot at a deer or bear with a crossbow, due to the sound and extra movement to re-cock it.

If I had the choice and ability to hunt with either one, I'd choose the vertical bow. But if it meant quitting hunting because I couldn't use a vertical bow, I'd choose the crossbow, which is what I did.

Do what you have to do to stay in the woods. Theres a day coming for all of us when we won't have a choice of weapon to use, because we can't get in the woods anymore. Take every opportunity that the Good Lord gives you to hunt and GO HUNT!

Post Your Comment
1/11/17 @ 9:46 AM
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

Some great input & response.

Thanks for keeping this to the point!

I'm leaning towards taking the dive with buying a crossbow. 

I will probably go with a used unless a pro shop has a great deal) & a heavier bolt, and non- mechanical broadhead.

Big Mac 

Post Your Comment
1/11/17 @ 6:57 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

GUDSUN - compounds can kill a deer "way out there".  Problem is,  Xbows should be the last piece of equipment to try "way out there".  One simple reason.  Most bolts are LIGHT,  very light.  People are infatuated with Speed and means very little when coming to hunting.  It's well documented that the faster an object hits,  the faster the object slows down.  It's called resistance force.  That said,  you can try a 60 yard shot, but with 90% of the bolts out there your penetration will not be as expected.  It all comes down to ethics.  If people,  ALL HUNTERS no matter what piece of equipment would keep a kill zone small,  say within 30 yards we would have less wounded animals or vitally hit animals that get away because of only an entrance hole or bad shot due to distance.  I kill 4-6 deer a year and I know over 30 years of bow hunting every one was 30 yards of less.  In the past 10,  I can't think of one over 22 yards.

back to my point,  xbow bolts are light,  don't try and be a hero because you hear others doing it.  They will learn their lesson a few times and hopefully change their thinking.  If I shot a xbow,  i'd be running a min of 150 grain head.  Just my opinion though.  Speed is not the key to killing animals.

I'm also not saying compounds should be shooting long distance either.  My point was weight of arrow/bolt.  arrows by default typically are close to 350 grain by accident simply because of length.  If you figure out a carbon bolt at 22 inches, 45 for nock, vanes, insert,  100 grain tip,  you aren't pushing much.

Edited on 1/11/17 7:02 AM
Post Your Comment
1/10/17 @ 6:11 PM
GUDSUN
GUDSUN
USER since 2/25/02

I have used a crossbow last couple years, Mathews Mission, and have killed more deer than with my bowtech the previous few years. That being said, I don't recall the last time I had so many gravy shots so I am confident I could have gotten them with my regular bow.

The crossbow allows me to hunt some box blinds I have for gun hunting but in turn I can't get shots in certain directions from some stands due to the horizontal limbs.

I also didn't get shots at deer because I got caught with my pants down when the deer snuck up on me. Some say crossbows can kill a deer way out there, but the bolts still don't go faster than sound. The deer can still jump the noise. 

A second shot if you miss or whatever is way more feasible with a regular bow than with a crossbow. You have to move much more to cock it and get ready to shoot.

You still have to scout, put the stand in the right spot, play the wind, control scent, etc. Getting a whitetail deer in bow range isn't magically easier because you have a crossbow. 

Post Your Comment
1/10/17 @ 11:50 AM
crappies ya
crappies ya
USER since 1/15/12

BigMac, I have a crossbow for 4 years now & lovin it more all the time. I have shoulder problems & would not be hunting without it. Thrill is still there because you can concentrate more on the deer & how it reacts than working on pulling the bow back. Awesome on turkey hunting too!

Post Your Comment
1/10/17 @ 9:47 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01

I have used a crossbow for 8 seasons now. I can honestly say that I have enjoyed hunting as much or more since I switched over. It has allowed me to use all of my stands all season. Shot angles and placement are just as important as a regular bow. Mrt.  

Post Your Comment
1/7/17 @ 7:17 AM
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

Thanks everyone for your input so far. Please,  keepit coming! 

I guess my main concern is, does using a crossbow diminish the thrill of the hunt? Does it seem to easy, the thrill of the kill, the entire archery experience,  etc?

Big Mac 

Post Your Comment
1/7/17 @ 6:35 AM
huntfish
huntfish
USER since 6/16/03

Big Mac, I would not hesitate to tell you to get one. Bought one this last fall and am amazed at the accuracy of it. 0 to 35 yards dead on using top cross hair in scope. 

Post Your Comment
1/7/17 @ 6:16 AM
walleyeralph
walleyeralph
USER since 6/20/01

Big mack,no love my x bow.Got tired of putting my feet on riser and pulling back string with 2 hands.Get one narrow & lite.mines 12.5".

Post Your Comment
1/7/17 @ 6:04 AM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12

Don't do it Mac! I've been thru a shoulder surgery and just had my second elbow surgery a couple weeks ago. I've dialed my poundage down to 52#, limit my shot distance to 25 yards or less ( less ability to practice). I have definitely missed out on a couple big deer that might have gone down 10 years ago but feel great satisfaction knowing I'm still an archer and having a blast. YMMV

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts