Cross Bow scope or red dot?

8/24/14 @ 6:14 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Polski
Polski
MEMBER since 5/11/03
I have a Ten Point crossbow that I have been shooting for three years now. I have never been real happy with the scope that came with the bow when I bought it. I'm thinking of switching to a Red Dot type scope and looking for opinions from anyone who has used a red dot scope on a bow before. Also any suggestions on type or brand of scope would be appreciated. Thanks.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
8/25/14 @ 11:46 AM
maxracx
maxracx
USER since 4/14/02
Agreed scope is the way to go. But if you want to replace yours look at the Vortex Strikefire II red dot. Only one on the market with a true life time warranty. They run about $180 bucks. Red or green dot, they are awesome!!!

www.vortexoptics.com

Post Your Comment
8/25/14 @ 10:54 AM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
For the ranges involved I'd prefer a non magnified sight. The problem with most red dots is that people buy some cheapo red dot that is a made in China nock off of a quality red dot. Get an EoTech or Aim Point and you won't have any problem with shooting until the last second of shooting time. Also learn to shoot with both eyes open, like you should be anyway, and light transmission becomes a moot point at these ranges. I could shoot just fine if you put a piece of tape over the front of my EoTech.

Post Your Comment
8/25/14 @ 10:02 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Scope. Have both and like the scope better. The red dot idea is good for fast and/or moving game. You won't be taking any shots at running animals, I hope, so the scope will suit your needs better. Mrt,

I have the the higher end 10 point scope and that works well for me. I think it is the Rangemaster.

Edited on 8/25/14 10:04 AM
Post Your Comment
8/25/14 @ 7:49 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
USER since 1/19/02
I agree with salt,,, get a regular scope

Post Your Comment
8/25/14 @ 5:45 AM
Old Salt
Old Salt
USER since 8/14/02
I used a red dot fairly successfully for about 4 years. Eventually I switched to a scope with an illuminated reticle. The light transmission of most red dot sights is horrible and all of my blinds are in pretty heavy, shaded cover. I'd end up having to quit a half hour or more before shooting hours were done because the red dot was unusable in such low light. The scope allows me to take advantage of the final minutes of shooting hours.

Post Your Comment