SEARCH
MORE
Archery

Camo

7/5/18 @ 8:07 PM
INITIAL POST
steiner_18
User since 3/25/05

In the market for some new light weight early season camo...was thinking of going with ua’s ridge reaper series but I’m assuming they haven’t come out with the new stuff for this year yet because I can’t find it.  Also looked at Badlands stuff and thought about going that route but I hate how much white they have in their pattern.

Any suggestions?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
7/18/18 @ 10:02 AM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

One thing I do in the store, is give clothing your considering the squint test. Squint your eyes, but still be able to see through them. As mentioned, if anything, some camo patterns are to dark, and squinting brings that out. If you don't have much back cover, like if your in a smaller tree, a darker camo may not be the best choice.  

7/16/18 @ 3:07 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

L.B. Your right about walking in with leafy camo, at least if your going through briers or nasty stuff. I always pack mine in. It is extreamly light however, and takes less than a minute to slip on at the base of your tree. I think the leaf movement in the wind, creates a motion that humans can't duplicate, and really hides you and your silhouette well. Works quite well on the ground also.  

7/16/18 @ 2:44 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I don't fully believe in the UV stuff and how studies claim deer see.  The only reason I say that is because i hunt a lot of low trees.  6-14 feet and i've never had a deer look right at me if i'm not moving.  According to claims from companies like Atsko,  makers of UV blocker,  they claim you'll look blue and look like a blue blob to them.  I don't believe that to be true or deer would be jumping out of their skin in lower light conditions.  I just don't ever see that to be the case.

A good camo when foliage is down is worth it's weight in gold in certain situations.  Ladder stands for example.  If a deer is coming from the side of you,  you are off the tree 2 feet....AND you are wearing a dark camo,  like Mossy Oak Break up,  they'll see a blog and know something is odd.  I've been there.  Everything situation calls for a different method.  If anyone is a ladder stand hunter,  personally i'd think your camo is one of your best fiends,  open pattern camo.  Don't be a blog.  I'm not saying ALL deer are going to see you as a blog,  younger deer are stupid,  you will be able to get away with more.  Now you have a mature buck,  say 3.5, years old or a mature 2.5+ year old doe,  they'll pick out that something is not right.  Only reason i know is I've been there.  Others have as well.  Take if for what it's worth.

7/16/18 @ 2:39 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

Well if deer can see UV like many believe, you had best pick your camo carefully. Take a black light and look at your clothing with it. Blue jeans stand out like a sore thumb, and whites like the moon, even the threads from stitching. It wasn't that many years ago that quite a few companies put out camo clothing that "lit up".

I'll admit that camo isn't the be all end all, but you do want it to break up the blob, especially considering you have to be able to draw at close range on a highly attuned animal. 

7/16/18 @ 1:53 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

I believe camo is marketed with the sole intention of attracting humans, not concealing a human from deer. 

Let’s not forget that deer do not see color in the same capacity as humans. Some colors that stand out to us are simply shades of gray to them, although they can pick up on UV light. So, in my mind your camo pattern is about as important as the color underwear you wear that day. 

7/16/18 @ 12:13 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

Elimitick camo, will will serve double duty for you by keeping ticks off of you. It's quite, and when you consider what it does, it's the cheapest camo available.

7/15/18 @ 4:47 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

For years, when I started bowhunting, all I wore was a red plad wool shirt.  Quiet and warm.  Most camo nowadays is looking good for your buddies.  I  don't care what it looks like as long as it's quiet.

7/15/18 @ 6:03 AM
walleyeralph
User since 6/20/01

X2.it's not the camo.it's if they smell u.

7/14/18 @ 7:32 AM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
Spending big money on camo is a waste. Marked to take your money.  Place your stand or sit in cover and move slow.  Cheap camo is all you need.   A deer will bust you if it catches you moving no matter how "good" your camo is.
7/12/18 @ 9:22 PM
TBoldt
User since 10/13/04

Bought some gear from Kuiu last year to replace my camo that was probably 15 plus years old.  Should have done it years ago.  The light weight and comfort from the material having some stretch is night and day better.  Was worried about abrasion resistance but seems fine so far.  I wouldn't pay the full price but they have some deals in the outlet.

7/10/18 @ 2:00 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

the only time camo matters is when the leaves are gone or in the late season.  otherwise if deer are seeing you move,  you're moving too fast.  

Out hunting cover,  bare trees late season,  hunting on the ground,  that's where a good camo matters.  If you don't do any of those three you can get away with a Tie-Dye t shirt and pair of camo shorts early season.

7/10/18 @ 1:42 PM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05
I am able to use the Cabelas Brand outfitter color berber fleece for almost the whole season. Hot days its not the best but I like the camo pattern for where I hunt. Plus when you look for it on sale you can get some super great deals on it.
7/9/18 @ 2:06 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I'd never buy a leafy suit,  it gets snagged on stuff WAY TOO much.  I know guys that don't wear it in the woods,  then put it on while in the tree.  No thanks

ASAT,  yes,  but not ASAT 3d leafy swamp suit.

7/8/18 @ 10:26 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

ASAT Vanish-Pro 3-D Suit

ASAT stands for all season all terrain. It takes on what ever color hue it's near and blends in to many situations. This is a very light weight mesh suit that you put on over other clothes, so you can wear it from the opener till late season. Well made, and has held up good for me. Your first impression might be it looks a bit different or goofy, but check out the reviews on Amazon. I tend to agree with the majority of them. 

7/6/18 @ 8:16 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07
I look more of what the material is rather than the camo pattern. For pants I like a thicker Carhartt like material that will stand up to bryers and thorns and will shed burrs and hitchhikers easily.  For jacket I like a softer fleece or wool material that is quiet so on those super quiet days the deer don't hear me moving or drawing the bow.

For camo pattern I don't think it makes much of a difference.  I have more confidence in lighter pattern because when you are in a tree you have the skyline as a back drop so I think that a lighter pattern blends in better.  My jacket is a Cabela's wool jacket in a western pattern. It works great for me, I've had multiple deer look up at me when the wind was swirling and I don't think they noticed me.  I try to avoid the darker patterns because a dark blob sticks out more than a lighter blob.  

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE