Built my First Bow

3/31/15 @ 7:37 PM
ORIGINAL POST
teenangler15
teenangler15
USER since 7/15/04
I built a reflex deflex longbow out of ipe, with bamboo backing, and osage handle and tip overlays. Took me several weeks all said and done with hand tools, but now I've got a working 66" nock to nock bow that draws 64# @28". It draws smoothly and shoots much quieter than my compound. I have GT traditional arrow shafts on order. Anxiously waiting for those to come in! Also I filmed the entire process and will post a long "how-to" covering material sourcing, to gluing, shaping, tillering for equal limb timing, finishing, and tuning the arrow shafts to the bow.
Edited on 3/31/15 7:40 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
6/8/15 @ 5:05 PM
teenangler15
teenangler15
USER since 7/15/04
I decided to cut a shelf in after all. After putting hundreds of shots through the bow and honing in on my consistency at close range, a couple things became apparent. 1) The rubber elevated rest was showing massive signs of wear from the shaft rubbing against it. 2) No matter what point weight I chose, the arrows always showed "weak" when shot without fletchings, even when they should have been dynamically stiff. I think that was a false weak from the nock end of my arrows hitting the riser and bouncing off. Slow motion video strengthened that argument.

So I cut the shelf in. So far, the same exact arrows fly better (no change in spine needed), and I bought some 350 spine Victory VForce HV arrows to try out. They shot nearly perfect with 250 grain tips bare shaft. One concern is that they are thinner walled than advertised. The spec says .287OD and 6.8gpi, but my measurements show .281OD and 6.0gpi. On the bright side, I can shoot a 550 grain arrow at 30% FOC no problem. I could also shoot a 600 grain arrow at 34% FOC by using 300 grain points. My old GT Traditional 400's weigh the same with 200 grain points, and would mean I should be able to shoot either or without much difference in trajectory, at least at hunting ranges.

I also ordered some Point Oxford Cedar shafts to use for stumping and small game hunting. I'll spiral flu-flu them, and adjust length and point weight to more or less match the carbons.

One other thing, I shot a 600.6 grain arrow through the chronograph, and it averaged 175fps. I'm pretty happy with that number.

Post Your Comment
4/18/15 @ 5:29 PM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09
I just watched the video- you the man... the video actually makes the project seem doable, now that you've done all the hard work! I imagine by watching that making the actual bow was probably a lot easier than gathering all of the information necessary and making that video.

I cannot imagine how many hours you must have spend figuring all of that out, not to mention the level of detail you put into your video- hats off to you. Looking forward to your video of the first kill! Wink

Post Your Comment
4/18/15 @ 7:40 AM
Troy Stoeger
tstoeger
USER since 4/2/02
Watched the video all the way through. Very good job on both the bow and the video! Maybe someday I will tackle something like this, not soon though. Until then I will watch talented folks like you do it.

Troy Stoeger Guide Service
(920) 277-5578
Post Your Comment
4/16/15 @ 4:24 PM
rePLOW
rePLOW
USER since 4/26/13
Always wanted to try building my own recurve. Just might have to try it. Yours looks great

Post Your Comment
4/15/15 @ 1:45 PM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07
Thats a great looking bow Angler!! And the video is very informative, nice work. I built a reflex deflex longbow while I was in college so I had a very nice wood shop to work with, very impressed with your work ethic and prowess even with lack of power tools. Are you hoping to whitetail hunt with it? I am hoping to used traditional equipment on my next WI bear hunt but might have to build another bow as I just recently switched from right handed to left handed bows.

Any who, very nice work, enjoy showing it off and every second you get to shoot it!! Keep up the great videos as well!

Post Your Comment
4/14/15 @ 12:18 PM
kyl_me
kyl_me
USER since 7/21/08
I watched the video last night as well. Very impressive seeing what you created and with the equipment you had available to you. The research and time it must have taken to get from 'I should build a bow' to actually having it in hand and shooting it was no small undertaking. Nice work.

Post Your Comment
4/13/15 @ 7:34 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Teenangler15, I just watched your video uninterrupted from start to finish. ...............I'm truly amazed!!!!!!!!!!! You are very, very talented!!!!!!!!! You have my upmost respect. I'm 51, but still hope we cross paths someday. I'm sure I would learn something from you with just conversation. In the military, one of you would be worth 5 guys. Enough of the sucking up. Thanks for sharing this with your Lake-Link buddies(& Girls). Once you get all sharpened up with your shooting skills, it would be nice to share a shooting video with us? You took your time on the build and it showed. I'm sure your vacuum cleaner got a work out along with your fingers and forearms. I'm voting you in for the MVP video of 2015. Great Job Teenangler15!!!!!!!!!!!!! I recommend watching this video to everyone even if you're not going to try and build one.

Post Your Comment
4/12/15 @ 8:00 PM
teenangler15
teenangler15
USER since 7/15/04
Here's the video! It was really tough condensing all the information into around 35 minutes.

Post Your Comment
4/12/15 @ 10:46 AM
teenangler15
teenangler15
USER since 7/15/04
I finished the video editing. After exporting and uploading, it should be ready to view this afternoon.

Post Your Comment
4/12/15 @ 9:35 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Nice!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts