SEARCH
MORE
Archery

Broadheads sighting in different than field tips

10/18/18 @ 8:40 AM
INITIAL POST
Musclehead
User since 7/10/01

I bought a new bow last year, and sighted it in with field tips. When I shot with mechanical broadheads it was pretty consistent 4 inches high and 4 right. Because my target can't take broadheads, I left my sites where they were. I was worried last year I'd be mentally distracted trying to compensate for this when preparing to shoot. Never got a chance. Any idea why this is happening? I thought the field tip weight and broadheads was the same or close. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, been battling a shoulder issue. I go in for surgery, coincidently the day after gun season. I'm thinking it would make more sense adjust the sights to the broadheads, obviously placing the pin where the arrow will go. I'm wondering why this is happening?

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
10/27/18 @ 4:54 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13

Could be lots of things.  Arrow set up, bad grip and form.  Draw length could be wrong.  The guy needs to go to a reputable shop and have all things looked at.

10/24/18 @ 8:49 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

If your bow is not shooting expandables identical to FT's,  you have HUGE issues.

this type of accuracy is "not normal for new bows",  you don't sight in for broadheads...that's the worst advice you can take.  I get a new bow,  I set the rest,  paper tune and I can shoot ANY expandable on market and more than likely 75% of fixed.  Bows do what they are supposed to,  they shoot.  They shoot well if setup properly.

If you want to do this correctly, fix the root cause and i'd bet my life it's the rest that is just "out of this world" wrong.

First,  you need to know the center shot of your bow so you can set the rest close.  Then for height you run it so your arrow is covering your burger holes.  If you haven't done that,  do that first.  you set the height,  then get at the level of your arrow,  if the arrow is covering those berger holes,  you are cutting the middle of the bow.  Starting rest position is 99% of the game.

What spine are you shooting?  what is your length of draw,  how long is your arrow,  how much weight are you pulling.  

That said,  I believe even going through a crude rest adjustment and then paper tuning,  we can just move your rest accordingly and get the both shooting the identical.

you don't have a press or draw board so your bow will not be tuned but that won't matter with expandables.  I assume your rest is way off and your are getting contact...that's why your FT's are fine,  but BH's are off.

There is NOT a single bow on the market you that can't be tuned to shoot almost all fixed heads.  Expandables should be a cake walk.  I've personally never seen a expandable not shoot with identical POI. 

10/19/18 @ 7:55 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

All good advice so far.  Like someone has already said, most mechanicals come with practice tip.  I bought two sets of heads so I use the practice tips to sight in and practice.  For some brands like Rage you can usually just buy a 3 pack of practice heads as an option.

10/19/18 @ 7:19 AM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15

Broadhead tune your bow. Can paper tune to get it close. Shoot fp at 20 yards and mark.  Then shoot bh st 20 yards. Move rest to make bh an fp it same location. Move out to 30 yards do the same. Then adjust sights. Paper tuning gives you a good base starting point. 

10/18/18 @ 5:36 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

Left and right difference is concerning,  but if a broadhead shoots a little higher or lower no big deal as long as consistent. 

My fixed blade broadheads shoot 2-3 inches higher than my practice tips at every distance, always has. I just sight for that and good to go. 

10/18/18 @ 3:08 PM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

If your field tips are dead on at 20 yards, shoot your field tips with the same 20 yard pin at 30 yards and see what the grouping looks like.

If the group has a lot of left/right variation, or is consistently off 3+ inches to the left or right, I think you definitely need to tune better.

If your bow is tuned well, you won't have a lot of L/R difference between 20 & 30 or 35 yards with the same pin.

10/18/18 @ 2:11 PM
Fish repellent
Fish repellent
User since 2/4/14

A quick way to see if your bow is in tune is to shoot an unfletched arrow along with a fletched. Start close and work your way back to 20 yards. A properly tuned bow will be able to shoot both in the same spot. Once that it accomplished, broadheads(which are spinning true on the arrow) will hit the same as fieldpoints. 

10/18/18 @ 12:08 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Doesn't seem like the bow is tuned right.  I've shot many different mechanicals and had no issues between those or field points.  Did have issues with some fixed heads but I think that is more common.  I would have someone look the bow over at an archery shop if you don't have the tools at home.

Some mechanicals also give you a practice head which is essentially a head that does not open.  Could practice with those as they'd be the same as the real thing.

10/18/18 @ 11:58 AM
Wilbur29
Wilbur29
User since 10/25/13

Unless you plan on hunting with field points, sight it in for broadheads. No guesswork.

10/18/18 @ 8:52 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

This is completely normal for almost all bows when you first get them.  You can adjust the sites to the broadheads pre season, or you can try to tune your bow to get them to hit the same.  Broadheads, even mechanicals, have different flight characteristics due to air resistance, etc.  A good archery shop could help you tune it, which involves trial and error of rest, etc.  I went to a local shop because I knew I'd suck trying to tune it myself.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE