Bow hunting 2017 reports

8/25/17 @ 12:35 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Casedog
Casedog
USER since 10/4/11

I thought I would get one started! Countdown days- success-failure-sightings-- anything bow hunting related!! Bear season close and counting down the days to deer season!! Good luck in 2017!!! Casey

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 299 Posts
12/31/17 @ 6:39 AM
JAK79KEL
JAK79KEL
USER since 5/24/06

Vilas county. Does, does and more does.  Last weekend to bow hunt for me and it is a cold one.  Sat 4 hours yesterday morning in the ground blind and saw about 8 different does of all sizes. Few more in afternoon at different stand location. A couple the size of a horse.  At it again today to see if a buck will float through.  Come on dnr, time to open up doe season next year!  Give the bucks a chance. The few bucks we have seen this fall are spikes and basket racks.

Post Your Comment
12/29/17 @ 10:24 AM
blackbrd
blackbrd
USER since 1/9/07
No only 1 big buck with horns yet. A bunch of younger bucks with their horns yet a couple with half racks and a few dropped both

Post Your Comment
12/29/17 @ 9:37 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER since 12/19/10
Blackbrd, you say u only had 1 buck on cam with horns. Do u have pics of bucks that shed already? I was thinking bucks were still a good month or so away from shedding??

Post Your Comment
12/28/17 @ 6:11 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

Congrats, Joey.  Way to stick it out.  Enjoy 

Post Your Comment
12/28/17 @ 5:29 PM
joeywadu
joeywadu
USER since 5/13/02

I finally got it done...what a crazy year....I tried something different this year where I was a little more selective at what I shot at...early in the fall everyone I sat I was seeing deer bucks and does that I chose not to shoot....during the rut Oct 24th to Nov 10th I saw 14 different bucks on stand..

I passed several and I missed a couple....this buck I have had around ever since he was born..

I was trying for a pretty good 9 point that may score around 130-135....I only saw him twice and did not get a shot...don't know if he made it or not but if I had to guess I would say he's alive...it was very cold in the blind yesterday and while we were looking for the deer but that cold also made the deer move more...this is the latest I have ever killed a buck w horns yet...very very happy with him....he will be tender in the pan..

J wadu

Post Your Comment
12/28/17 @ 4:13 PM
blackbrd
blackbrd
USER since 1/9/07

Was going to hunt at my place in the u.p. this week but the morning temps were -15, -20 and -13.  Too old for that fun I guess.  Pull all my cameras and only had one decent buck with his horns yet.  Figured they have it hard enough dealing with this weather.  I'll leave them alone till next year.  On a side note.  It was hard enough to go outside and fill the wood boiler.  My eyeballs glassed over wed. morning on a 5 mph ride on the 4 wheeler for 200 yards.

Did see a ton of sign and 24 deer on monday night from the cabin.  Lets pray for another mild winter.  It's not starting out that way though.

Edited on 12/28/17 4:15 PM
Post Your Comment
12/27/17 @ 9:48 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

Can't imagine why......

But I can remember being younger and going out there come He!! or high (frozen in this case) water.

Post Your Comment
12/27/17 @ 7:12 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

Doesn’t appear that anybody’s hunting this week. 

Post Your Comment
12/24/17 @ 10:26 AM
Cwolf15
Cwolf15
USER since 1/4/17

It's been a few weeks since I had any pictures before 11 am. Last night saw 5 does. Decided to take a shot on a doe and gave it a haircut on its back. Don't think I had my anchor point right. Had the game camera on video and you could see the knock go over the back. No blood at all but a lot of hair. No blood on the arrow either and I saw the broadhead spark when it opened up hitting the ground so I'm confident the deer is fine. You can see the green knock in the picture right at the edge if the tree. 

Post Your Comment
12/24/17 @ 4:04 AM
jkb
jkb
USER since 6/25/02

Common man,  I’ve noticed in northern Wisconsin that if it is very cold sometimes the deer don’t move until later in the morning.  Evening hunts have been better for me..

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 299 Posts