MORE
Archery

Bow hunting 2017 reports

8/25/17 @ 12:35 PM
INITIAL POST
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

I thought I would get one started! Countdown days- success-failure-sightings-- anything bow hunting related!! Bear season close and counting down the days to deer season!! Good luck in 2017!!! Casey

Displaying 1 to 15 of 299 posts
4/17/18 @ 2:43 PM
beanthewalleyslayer
beanthewalleyslayer
User since 1/18/10

Great buck polski.. can't wait for September to get here!  I've been shooting in the basement all winter.  If this f $#%*@g snow would stop we could get in the back yard!! GO AWAY SECOND WINTER!  again nice buck 

4/17/18 @ 2:16 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03

Got my deer mount back from the taxidermist today, did a real nice job. I shot this with my bow in early Sept and it was still in velvet. My best ever gun or bow, scored 154.

1/8/18 @ 8:17 PM
Formerly the big guy
PRO MEMBER User since 10/3/11

Nice doe and a good shot. Congrats.

1/8/18 @ 7:06 AM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

Congrats, nice deer!

1/7/18 @ 11:06 PM
Chris Dewolfe
PRO MEMBER User since 1/4/17

Finally got my first deer with a bow. Not a buck but a big doe and couldn't be happier. 15 yd shot and dropped in under 40 yds.

Bow hunting 2017 reports photo by Cwolf15
1/7/18 @ 5:53 PM
PSE
PSE
PRO MEMBER User since 11/25/05

deer a scratching under the oaks in the yard today but my wife won't let me shoot any deer in the yard. They are close to the twenty yard target

1/2/18 @ 12:16 PM
take'em!
User since 9/8/11

Sat yesterday (1-1-18) and had a doe and nub come through. Shot the doe which is the first deer in the freezer for me this year. Been a rough year so far. Did get a picture of a nice buck that made it through gun season. I hunt metro so if he holds his rack maybe i will get a chance at him in the next few weeks. Pic attached. 

1/2/18 @ 12:12 PM
shedhunter
shedhunter
User since 1/28/08

I have found 2 sheds already in the food plots and many bucks have shed in our area, including the mature bucks.  From my records anytime we put a string of sub zero days and nights together, weather it be Dec. Jan. or Feb.  The mass drop seems to happen.  The mature bucks seem to drop first with the stress from the cold and being run down from the rut.  And there will always be bucks that hold on longer than others as asual.--Shed

1/2/18 @ 9:16 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Welder,  I have a 3.5 Yr old that shed one side and i have a couple little scrapers with one or both gone already.  Not sure why,  maybe a longer cold November.  We've had a mild winter as far as snow but a rather long cold snap in the last 2 weeks.  you are correct though,  usually jan -feb and i've had bucks into march holding.  Last night I saw a one of those little bucks and 100% he had holes in his head.  

For me this late season has been very odd.  one night i see 20,  next night 2,  last night zero.  That big full moon though had to have something to do with it.  I also believe that the neighbors are baiting.  I'm seeing deer doing stuff that don't typically do.  They don't live over there and there is ZERO food in those areas.  I'm sure there is 500Lbs of corn in a pile.  I believe my neighbors to the south and west are feeding the deer.  They are not hunting,  they are just feeding which is really kind of messing with my hunting.  I have standing beans and corn,  apparently the deer would rather eat from a pile than work for it.  I should call them and ask when their pile is gone,  that must be when the deer come by me.

12/31/17 @ 6:39 AM
JAK79KEL
User since 5/24/06

Vilas county. Does, does and more does.  Last weekend to bow hunt for me and it is a cold one.  Sat 4 hours yesterday morning in the ground blind and saw about 8 different does of all sizes. Few more in afternoon at different stand location. A couple the size of a horse.  At it again today to see if a buck will float through.  Come on dnr, time to open up doe season next year!  Give the bucks a chance. The few bucks we have seen this fall are spikes and basket racks.

12/29/17 @ 10:24 AM
blackbrd
User since 1/9/07
No only 1 big buck with horns yet. A bunch of younger bucks with their horns yet a couple with half racks and a few dropped both
12/29/17 @ 9:37 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10
Blackbrd, you say u only had 1 buck on cam with horns. Do u have pics of bucks that shed already? I was thinking bucks were still a good month or so away from shedding??
12/28/17 @ 5:29 PM
joeywadu
User since 5/13/02

I finally got it done...what a crazy year....I tried something different this year where I was a little more selective at what I shot at...early in the fall everyone I sat I was seeing deer bucks and does that I chose not to shoot....during the rut Oct 24th to Nov 10th I saw 14 different bucks on stand..

I passed several and I missed a couple....this buck I have had around ever since he was born..

I was trying for a pretty good 9 point that may score around 130-135....I only saw him twice and did not get a shot...don't know if he made it or not but if I had to guess I would say he's alive...it was very cold in the blind yesterday and while we were looking for the deer but that cold also made the deer move more...this is the latest I have ever killed a buck w horns yet...very very happy with him....he will be tender in the pan..

J wadu

12/28/17 @ 4:13 PM
blackbrd
User since 1/9/07

Was going to hunt at my place in the u.p. this week but the morning temps were -15, -20 and -13.  Too old for that fun I guess.  Pull all my cameras and only had one decent buck with his horns yet.  Figured they have it hard enough dealing with this weather.  I'll leave them alone till next year.  On a side note.  It was hard enough to go outside and fill the wood boiler.  My eyeballs glassed over wed. morning on a 5 mph ride on the 4 wheeler for 200 yards.

Did see a ton of sign and 24 deer on monday night from the cabin.  Lets pray for another mild winter.  It's not starting out that way though.

12/24/17 @ 10:26 AM
Chris Dewolfe
PRO MEMBER User since 1/4/17

It's been a few weeks since I had any pictures before 11 am. Last night saw 5 does. Decided to take a shot on a doe and gave it a haircut on its back. Don't think I had my anchor point right. Had the game camera on video and you could see the knock go over the back. No blood at all but a lot of hair. No blood on the arrow either and I saw the broadhead spark when it opened up hitting the ground so I'm confident the deer is fine. You can see the green knock in the picture right at the edge if the tree. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 299 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE