Bow hunting 2017 reports

8/25/17 @ 11:35 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Casedog
Casedog
USER since 10/4/11

I thought I would get one started! Countdown days- success-failure-sightings-- anything bow hunting related!! Bear season close and counting down the days to deer season!! Good luck in 2017!!! Casey

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 297 Posts
1/8/18 @ 7:17 PM
Formerly the big guy
Formerly the big guy
MEMBER since 10/3/11

Nice doe and a good shot. Congrats.

Post Your Comment
1/8/18 @ 11:54 AM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

Ooh, that's a biggun'!  Nice work 

Post Your Comment
1/8/18 @ 6:06 AM
Brother of the brush
Brother of the brush
USER since 1/22/12

Congrats, nice deer!

Post Your Comment
1/7/18 @ 10:06 PM
Cwolf15
Cwolf15
USER since 1/4/17

Finally got my first deer with a bow. Not a buck but a big doe and couldn't be happier. 15 yd shot and dropped in under 40 yds.

Post Your Comment
1/7/18 @ 4:53 PM
PSE
PSE
MEMBER since 11/25/05

deer a scratching under the oaks in the yard today but my wife won't let me shoot any deer in the yard. They are close to the twenty yard target

Post Your Comment
1/2/18 @ 11:16 AM
take'em!
take'em!
USER since 9/8/11

Sat yesterday (1-1-18) and had a doe and nub come through. Shot the doe which is the first deer in the freezer for me this year. Been a rough year so far. Did get a picture of a nice buck that made it through gun season. I hunt metro so if he holds his rack maybe i will get a chance at him in the next few weeks. Pic attached. 

Post Your Comment
1/2/18 @ 11:12 AM
shedhunter
shedhunter
USER since 1/28/08

I have found 2 sheds already in the food plots and many bucks have shed in our area, including the mature bucks.  From my records anytime we put a string of sub zero days and nights together, weather it be Dec. Jan. or Feb.  The mass drop seems to happen.  The mature bucks seem to drop first with the stress from the cold and being run down from the rut.  And there will always be bucks that hold on longer than others as asual.--Shed

Post Your Comment
1/2/18 @ 8:16 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Welder,  I have a 3.5 Yr old that shed one side and i have a couple little scrapers with one or both gone already.  Not sure why,  maybe a longer cold November.  We've had a mild winter as far as snow but a rather long cold snap in the last 2 weeks.  you are correct though,  usually jan -feb and i've had bucks into march holding.  Last night I saw a one of those little bucks and 100% he had holes in his head.  

For me this late season has been very odd.  one night i see 20,  next night 2,  last night zero.  That big full moon though had to have something to do with it.  I also believe that the neighbors are baiting.  I'm seeing deer doing stuff that don't typically do.  They don't live over there and there is ZERO food in those areas.  I'm sure there is 500Lbs of corn in a pile.  I believe my neighbors to the south and west are feeding the deer.  They are not hunting,  they are just feeding which is really kind of messing with my hunting.  I have standing beans and corn,  apparently the deer would rather eat from a pile than work for it.  I should call them and ask when their pile is gone,  that must be when the deer come by me.

Edited on 1/2/18 8:20 AM
Post Your Comment
12/31/17 @ 5:39 AM
JAK79KEL
JAK79KEL
USER since 5/24/06

Vilas county. Does, does and more does.  Last weekend to bow hunt for me and it is a cold one.  Sat 4 hours yesterday morning in the ground blind and saw about 8 different does of all sizes. Few more in afternoon at different stand location. A couple the size of a horse.  At it again today to see if a buck will float through.  Come on dnr, time to open up doe season next year!  Give the bucks a chance. The few bucks we have seen this fall are spikes and basket racks.

Post Your Comment
12/29/17 @ 9:24 AM
blackbrd
blackbrd
USER since 1/9/07
No only 1 big buck with horns yet. A bunch of younger bucks with their horns yet a couple with half racks and a few dropped both

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 297 Posts