Bow for youth. Is there a guideline for draw weight?

1/9/15 @ 4:23 PM
ORIGINAL POST
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
For a 8 y/o and weighs about 80 pounds. Looking to get him an adjustable compound bow. What general draw weight should I be looking at? The bows I am looking at now seem to be 20#-30# or 30#-50# and I am not ready to commit to the price of a new Menace or Infinite Edge.
Edited on 1/9/15 4:31 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
2/25/15 @ 8:12 PM
Brian Hammarsten
Hammar
USER since 4/5/10
I agree with taking the kid to a good archery shop to get it set up correctly. I used to work at Schaffer Archery in Burnsville, MN and we would get people set up properly and they could shoot great groups before they left the store. If you want the kid to be interested (and like others said) he will need to find some success. It may cost a little more initially but you can sell a good used bow to another family once he outgrows it and get some of your money back.

Roach's Guide Service
(763) 226-6656
Post Your Comment
2/20/15 @ 8:25 AM
Ratoney
Ratoney
USER since 12/11/09
I'll second the recommendation for the Hoyt Ruckus as a great youth bow.

I would also suggest getting your son or daughter fitted by a pro. We all develop habits pretty quickly and having a bow that fits you correctly can help down the line.

The draw weight is tough to know without knowing your child and their build. My son is pulling about 20 lbs and is comfortable until release. If anything, don't over do it. Getting them to draw through the cycle evenly is a great habit when in the tree.

And lastly, shoot with them. Make it fun. Shoot matchbooks, shoot for points but get them to enjoy the sport. I can tell you it worked for me and now I can't even think about work come archery season. Probably similar to most of you.

Good Luck, Ratoney

Post Your Comment
2/19/15 @ 8:08 AM
Forgehunter67
Forgehunter67
USER since 6/19/09
"Don't buy forge bows. I went there for one and there service and how they dealt with you is terrible. They set the bows up for them selves and they don't have the customer in mind. And my brand new bow they set up fell apart in my hand the first time I drew it back. That's the short story if you want the whole story just ask."

I can honestly say that is the very first time I have ever heard someone say that about Forge. I would love to hear the whole story if you woul like to PM me.

Edited on 2/19/15 8:27 AM
Post Your Comment
2/16/15 @ 7:18 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
I did look at the Genesis, nice looking bow for under $150. But for now I want him in a less pricey bow since he still has the habit of leaving his stuff lay around outside, overnite, in the rain, over winter under the snow. You get the picture. So I did pick up a Barnett 20# adjustable bow for him. Seasonal clearance for half price ($25). If it lasts him a year I will be happy with that. Thats his birthday present coming up in April. I think he will like it.

Edited on 2/16/15 7:52 AM
Post Your Comment
2/16/15 @ 6:44 AM
yubabowmen
yubabowmen
USER since 10/17/12
Don't buy forge bows. I went there for one and there service and how they dealt with you is terrible. They set the bows up for them selves and they don't have the customer in mind. And my brand new bow they set up fell apart in my hand the first time I drew it back. That's the short story if you want the whole story just ask.

Post Your Comment
2/15/15 @ 10:17 AM
fishfillet
fishfillet
USER since 1/8/13
bass master, your kids draw length is a little long. see how he is leaning back a little. his shoulders and body should make a "T" when at full draw. if you shortened it, his accuracy could improve.......op,what about the Genesis bow? there is a wide range with that bow.

Edited on 2/15/15 10:26 AM
Post Your Comment
1/24/15 @ 4:52 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Thanks for everyones comments. Kid had off school on friday so took him over to bow shop as soon as the place opened. The store owner was good enough to coach his shooting position as he checked him out on a Mission Menace and a few surprises popped up.

BTW I weighed him at home and he actually weighs 95#, big for a 8 y/o and he has a solid build. I weighed 95# when I was 14 y/o, and shot with a 45# recurve. But as we know muscle development is widley different between 8yo and 14yo.

Its not that 20# draw weight was too much for him but he tended to arch his back to compensate for less developed muscles and undeveloped coordination. Then his elbow is double jointed, so locking his elbow to pull and shoot the bow results in his forearm being in line with the string.

Best to take time to think about this and I see no sense in rushing him into a serious bow like a menace even though thats kid friendly and adjustable from 20# to 50#. Keeping him in a kids bow for now might be better for the sake of maintaining an attitude of fun and accomodate for the usual chilhood behaviors.

Edited on 1/24/15 6:46 AM
Post Your Comment
1/11/15 @ 10:39 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
I haven't inspected the youth bows but I have spent some time watching a couple kids shooting them this past week. I was impressed enough to ask about them

It's a nice bow..

Post Your Comment
1/11/15 @ 9:39 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Looks very interesting CD. Ive never heard of Forge though theyre made in Wisconsin. Looking at their website they dont list any dealers. But I do find a whole LL thread dedicated to Forge dated back in 2008.

Post Your Comment
1/11/15 @ 4:18 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Forge has a youth bow that's very adjustable and - from what I was told - very affordable.

http://www.forgebow.com/products.html

I don't know if it's on their website. Give'em a call.

(edit) Here it is:

http://www.forgebow.com/pls.html

Edited on 1/11/15 4:19 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts