Back-up Bow...is it necessary?

3/31/15 @ 5:01 PM
ORIGINAL POST
lovestofishnhunt
lovestofishnhunt
USER since 6/13/06
Just wondering if you folks think having a back up bow is a necessity? I have a 2009 Diamond Iceman that shoots great and I just bought a 2013 Mission Voyageur that shoots just as good. I've been thinking about selling the diamond while I can still get some change for it before it's a dinosaur. However, I do more bow hunting than anything else and having two bows that shoot well is not a bad situation to have. However again, I've never had a need for a backup in all my years of hunting. Your thoughts?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
6/17/15 @ 8:22 PM
Black Eagle
Black Eagle
USER since 6/17/15
Always have a backup or 2

Post Your Comment
4/24/15 @ 8:02 AM
perchthriller
perchthriller
USER since 7/14/09
Kind of an open ended question and depends on how serious you are about hunting. If you can get out a lot and don't care if you miss a week or two while your bow is in the shop, then you probably don't need one. If you have one week off for the rut and you have issues on day 2, you're probably going to want one.

I have my original bow I got about 15 years ago. Can't sell it for anything, so I keep it around for a back-up. Pretty cheap insurance in my opinion.

Post Your Comment
4/22/15 @ 7:26 AM
percheye1
percheye1
USER since 6/24/01
I have been going west bowhunting elk for about 10 years or more. My buddy who has been doing this for about 35 always took his spare bow. We never needed it. Two years ago he didn't go I went with 2 other guys no spare bow. The second morning one of the guys as we are getting ready at 0 dark thirty decides he should pull his bow, the day before he had set it down on the ground got a weed caught in the cam and it was just the right diameter to fill the channel in the cam so the cable had no place to go. We lost more than half a day driving to a bow shop to press it to put the string and cable on. If you have a spare bring it!

Post Your Comment
4/21/15 @ 10:22 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
A back-up release too. In my pack...and another at home or in my truck.

Post Your Comment
4/21/15 @ 9:18 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
Yes a backup is necessary,plus I always have it tuned with broadheads.Over the years I have had to use the backup several times.

Post Your Comment
4/20/15 @ 11:52 AM
lookn' 4 PnY
lookn' 4 PnY
USER since 7/15/05
Can you live without your bow for a few weeks, that should answer your question.

Post Your Comment
4/16/15 @ 2:05 PM
standard_lengthy
standard_lengthy
USER since 6/8/07
You will never need a back up bow just so long as your buddy has one Wink

Post Your Comment
4/1/15 @ 2:07 PM
GBEyeCatcher
GBEyeCatcher
USER since 7/24/07
Always have a backup... I shoot a Matthews but have my previous Bowtech as my backup... You never know when you will need it.

Post Your Comment
4/1/15 @ 9:27 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I don't currently bow hunt but if I did, I'd probably have the same philosophy as I do with my other passions in life. In my world, you can never have too many guns, guitars or fishing rods. Smile

Post Your Comment
4/1/15 @ 8:49 AM
wioutdoors74
wioutdoors74
USER since 10/24/12
A back-up bow is like car insurance. Could you live w/out it? Sure. Would you wish you had it when something goes wrong at the wrong time? Yup.

Whether you really should have a back-up bow depends on lots of factors. For one, if the money you could make from your older bow would make an impact to your financial situation (e.g. it would help be do X or offset a cost Y), then maybe it makes sense to sell it. Same could be said if you hunt only occasionally or feel it wouldn't be the end of the world if you had a mechanical during hunting season.

On the flip side, there really isn't anything bad about having a back-up bow, other than the fact that bow may collect dust. Murphy's Law always seems to drop in unexpectedly when the hunting seasons roll around. If it does, that back-up bow may be your best friend.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts