Anyone Using Trail Cameras On Public Land

5/22/14 @ 12:02 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Gun-R-Bow
Gun-R-Bow
USER since 12/15/11
Has anyone been using trail cameras on public land the past few years? I was thinking about setting one out on some land and was wondering if it was even worth it? Post pics from public land if ya got them cuz I'd love to see what wonderful WI has to offer
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts
7/21/14 @ 9:46 AM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07
Public land Giant

Post Your Comment
7/21/14 @ 9:43 AM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07
I have had a couple cameras walk off throughout the years but that is to be expected when leaving things in public areas. My father and I usually run 10+ cameras a season so losing one every few years isn't too big a deal. If you do the leg work, you can find some great deer on public, even in the big woods. I've got five up right now that I won't check until mid August and I can't wait to see what shows up. I also just ordered two more Covert MP-6 cams from wingsupply.com for $98 each and free shipping. I love these cameras, with lithium batteries I've had them up for over a year, even through this past terribly cold winter and still had full battery when picked up and great photos.

Post Your Comment
6/24/14 @ 1:42 PM
FLAN
FLAN
USER since 2/21/06
I've been using them for a few years on public. Mostly just summer months to see what's in the area. Don't like them up when woods start to thin out. Don't like to pay for high dollar cams with all the thieves out there. What are the best cams for $120 or less? Need one more.

Post Your Comment
6/19/14 @ 4:39 PM
git-da-net
git-da-net
USER since 4/12/07
I have been using them forever on public....I do try to put them where lazy guys wont go. I also put them high in the trees to keep them out of sight better. I have some old non-workng clunkers that I put out in the same tree as decoys at normal level. Never had one of them taken but would have a pic of the thief who took it.. When it happens which I am sure it will, I will be sure to post pics on here.

Post Your Comment
5/29/14 @ 3:09 PM
theimer
theimer
USER since 12/11/05
why would a warden or county forester remove the camera. as long as you have your dnr number on it. its a legal practice now.

Post Your Comment
5/27/14 @ 9:21 PM
Summers Off
Summers Off
USER since 5/9/06
If you hunt and hang cameras in easy to get to areas that are close to the road, you will eventually loose your cameras.

I usually hang my cameras in stands I use for all day sits during the rut that are far from any road. I use to see what bucks are in the area. I use them early and then pull them in mid October....for two reasons. One, keeps me from going in and out and in and out to check the cards and spreading a bunch of scent (I would rather see that nice buck in "color" rather than in a picture). Two, more guys enter the woods and want to hunt "their" areas. Some guys will steal tree stands or cameras without even blinking an eye.

If you leave anything in on public land....it will eventually get stolen from some slapper or removed by the warden or county forester.

Post Your Comment
5/27/14 @ 7:46 PM
theimer
theimer
USER since 12/11/05
I use them and never had a problem getting stolen. I just try to keep them hidden.

I also use a lock and cable to keep honest people honest.

I wouldn't go out and get top of the line cameras though just in case they do get stolen. I use the 100 dollar price range ones.

Post Your Comment
5/27/14 @ 1:41 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
i have hunted and used trail cameras on public land my whole life hunting. the key is to not put them in plain site i break branches to conceal them inside the tree i had someone check my card but he put it back.

Post Your Comment
5/27/14 @ 1:29 PM
JMTieds
JMTieds
USER since 3/28/11
The only camera I've ever had stolen in the 8yrs I've been using them was actually on private land. But like I said in my pervious post, I've never had a problem on public land. I've come across cameras and stands multiple times each fall while out grouse hunting and I wave at it and move on.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts