A lesson for all young hunters, with pictures

12/10/14 @ 9:34 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Edward Felcohands
Edward Felcohands
USER since 2/24/09
I am up in iron county right now for a week long ice fishing trip. Lots of deer around the cabin in winter, but I was surprised to see a deer that was obviously a buck that had already dropped its antlers. Well, then it turned around and I saw why. This thing has an arrow in it, you can see from the pictures that somone released on a deer that was almost directly facing them. The second pic shows where the point came near or out of the deer's back. It is limping but not badly, it is quite depressing watching him lick the fletchings. This deer is going to die a long, slow death because somebody didn't wait for a good shot opportunity. If I had a doe tag I would put this thing out of its misery, but this is zone 34 and there are none. Teach your young hunters, poor shots have consequences.
Edited on 12/10/14 10:04 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 53 Posts
5/6/15 @ 11:46 AM
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
USER since 3/4/06
Crazy that wolves didn't get him. Maybe he'll grow into a massive non-typical!

Post Your Comment
5/4/15 @ 9:41 PM
Edward Felcohands
Edward Felcohands
USER since 2/24/09
Was at the cabin last weekend, the deer from the original post made it through winter, the shaft is gone and he is pretty scarred up but is walking fine. Very very skinny, but it was a mild, short winter and I think people in the area feed all winter so he made it!

Post Your Comment
1/30/15 @ 2:56 PM
SFC S
SFC S
USER since 1/24/06
nite train somethings funky with that pic. Like its a mounted deer or something.

Post Your Comment
1/30/15 @ 2:53 PM
SFC S
SFC S
USER since 1/24/06
I like how someone can tell that a deer was shot by someone doing a drive from a photo of a wounded deer. Thats some CSI stuff right there!

Post Your Comment
1/29/15 @ 11:13 PM
NiteMite
NiteMite
USER since 9/16/01
Just to reiterate … There is no proof it was a young hunter. I would bet it was a drunk adult hunter. Alcohol can do lots of funny things to the human brain, especially an adult who ought to know better. I could see a hungover adult taking a goofy idiotic shot like that … especially on their last day to hunt.

Post Your Comment
1/27/15 @ 5:53 PM
yubabowmen
yubabowmen
USER since 10/17/12
awsome shot!!! good job. And nice buck. what area did you take that monster. Cool

Post Your Comment
12/29/14 @ 10:48 AM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07
The first buck I shot had two fresh wounds on it that were obviously made while he was running away. One was pretty shallow graze wound along his back and the other put a hole in his ear. Never really understood the need to take a poor angled shot in hopes of getting lucky.

Post Your Comment
12/27/14 @ 1:29 PM
gooseslayer
gooseslayer
USER since 2/1/10
It could be that, I only say that because in the videos you can see that it starts just in front of his back leg and runs along his side until it hits that shoulder. Then it appears to bury itself into him. Also it happened over gun season and around me there is almost zero pressure from bow hunters especially during gun season. No matter what happened to him he sure got lucky

Post Your Comment
12/26/14 @ 6:20 PM
chuckc
chuckc
USER since 3/21/14
Coulda been that, or an arrow that skidded along his back when he ducked on a going away shot, or even more likely a run in with a wire fence.

Any of those and prolly a dozen other things could have done that.

Critters are pretty tough. They have to be to survive.

ChuckC

Post Your Comment
12/26/14 @ 11:01 AM
gooseslayer
gooseslayer
USER since 2/1/10
I pulled the card on one of my cams the other day and thought this was a good fit for the topic. I can't say for sure but it looks to me like someone was doing a drive, kicked him up, and took running away shot at this button buck. I have videos of him everyday now for the last month . He seems to be walking fine and looks to be healing pretty well. Needless to say if he sticks around out here "lucky" will live for a couple more years, after all I think he deserves it. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 53 Posts