2018 updates from the field

9/13/18 @ 12:43 PM
ORIGINAL POST
IceFishBaby
IceFishBaby
USER since 11/26/01

Wanted to start the 2018 updates from the field.  Sometimes helps to know what is going on with patterns and movement.  Sometimes is just the little more motivation to sit an additional hour.  Look forward to adding to here Saturday morning for the opener.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 69 Posts
TODAY @ 9:53 AM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03

Nice bucks, boys.  Congrats on the good work.  Love the stories and thanks Red Eagle for sharing your strategy.  Very interesting!

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 9:33 AM
bookumdano
bookumdano
USER since 6/9/16

No it wasn't grunting. It just walking past me to get to the corn field..

The STory!!  I was on the ground standing behind a tree it walked 15 ft from me I had perfect wind. It walked past and I had to turn around the tree to get a shot,  he was only 25 ft now. By the time I got him in sight it was about 20yrds.. He was quartering away. I hit him in the middle high. Took off made a 100yrd circle and fell 50 yrds from me. The arrow was broke of inside. I found it when I cut it up Sat. It was stuck in opposite side  shoulder blade. Check out how the broad head is bent from shoulder.  Taxidermist 4.5 yrs 213 pounds.    Comes down to that I rather be lucky than good!!!

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 7:06 AM
deerdog
deerdog
USER since 11/7/03

Little of the white stuff this morning

Post Your Comment
10/14/18 @ 10:39 PM
Red Eagle
Red Eagle
USER since 12/17/16

I scouted the area this past March. This was my first time putting foot on the property since that March scouting trip. I don't use cameras in areas that I know can carry good bucks. I do not enter any property until l'm ready to hunt it. However, when I do I go right in, I hunt on top of the bedding and I plan to kill that night! It would never pay for me to own a 40 because to kill a mature buck "consitently" on that ground you cannot be in there messing around. 

I am what you would call the anti-magazine. No mock scrapes, no scents, no cameras, no food plots, no gimmicks, etc. I hunt by complete surprise. This was on private but I do hunt quite a bit of public too. In each case my hunting is where no one goes. (I have had h20 come over chest waders and im 6'2) to give you the extent of spots I hunt. When the weather, wind, time of season all align perfectly I go in and set up right on the bed. Sometimes within 40 yards. I have done quite well with this mindset, but it takes extreme patience and self control. 

Now that Im tagged out I plan on getting some pheasant hunting in with some fall walleye fishing. 

Post Your Comment
10/14/18 @ 9:21 PM
IceFishBaby
IceFishBaby
USER since 11/26/01

Great deer.  You have him scouted out well or just luck?  Hope you are still after some does, would hate to be done for the year.

Post Your Comment
10/14/18 @ 9:10 PM
Red Eagle
Red Eagle
USER since 12/17/16
I set up 60 yards from his bed and he stood up, made a few rubs in his bed. He walked out of the gnarly stuff about 35 yards and gave me a 25 yard shot. He was headed to a field 70 yards behind me. Great night and only going to get better for the rest of you guys.

Post Your Comment
10/13/18 @ 8:46 PM
IceFishBaby
IceFishBaby
USER since 11/26/01

Saw three doe at 615, stayed 60 yards off.  Saw 5 turkey and heard the yotes.  Fun sit.  

Post Your Comment
10/13/18 @ 7:13 PM
Alum 16.5
Alum 16.5
USER since 3/24/10

Nice bucks ! Can't wait to go next week 

Post Your Comment
10/13/18 @ 4:06 PM
brews4995
brews4995
USER since 4/2/10

Thanks for the report and nice deer budman.  I thought this cold weather would get the boys moving a bit. 

Post Your Comment
10/13/18 @ 3:19 PM
budman1987
budman1987
USER since 1/19/03

No I didn't call at all..a few of the bucks I saw looked to be making scrapes the rest were just cruising.. they were cutting corn all around me tho and this guy's neck was starting to swell her was with another buck similar in size

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 69 Posts