2018 Archery Season

8/29/18 @ 11:08 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Casedog
Casedog
USER since 10/4/11

17 days until go time! How many people actually hunt the early September season? Where in Wisconsin are you hunting? What type of terrain? Any expectations? Introducing any youth to the great outdoors? 

I will start- I absolutely love the first 2 weeks of archery! 

I will be hunting the northern part of Juneau county!

i will be climbing very close to the hottest oak tree in the area! I usually start on a beautiful 40 acre chunk of county land! Trying to leave the private alone until the youth hunt! 

I have higher than normal expectations for this year due to the mild winters and great crop selection! The herd is in really good shape! Not quite as good as pre 2000 doe slaughter years but getting close again! I’m somewhat scared to drive on the roads at night which hasn’t scared me in almost 20 years now! Really hoping my 12 year old daughter or 9 year old nephew connects this year?

We should possibly have 5 youth hunters this year so that is going to make for a great year as long as safety is priority #1!

Im extremely excited as always and ready to go! 17 days and it’s my favorite time of year! I also wanna wish everyone else a safe, enjoyable, and memorable season ahead!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 191 Posts
1/13/19 @ 10:04 PM
waltereye sr.
waltereye sr.
USER since 6/25/01

Dead Bucks, Thanks for taking the extensive time to relate this seasons experiences. Great reading.  Good luck in the future. 

Post Your Comment
1/12/19 @ 5:44 PM
Deadbucksdontlie
Deadbucksdontlie
USER since 1/10/19

78 years bowhunting years experience w my crew, thats our biggest for sure!  I have one thats close and a few other nice ones.  Lots of mediums and smalls.  If i sealed the deal on all the encounters ive had i would have a block full of houses full of mounts.  Haha.  Big, as in 4yr old plus buck sightings have increased for our crew markedly over the last 4 years.  Sightings doesnt equate to killing....i had 7 buck encounters total this season, 2 times had multiples.  4good ones, one great one, 3 smalls, score shoulda been me 4 bucks ,,,3.  Yea right.  Bucks 6 me 1 is how it turned out,i got a small one, and that wasn't  with the bow, i doubled up w the shotgun and was damn happy to do it!buck and fawn, boom boom!  My bros double sticker,,,and me,enjoying that crazy week of gun season.   Sheds won't fall for a while,  no real ice im willing to go on, gonna have to dream about those encounters for a few months

Edited on 1/12/19 5:45 PM
Post Your Comment
1/12/19 @ 5:00 PM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

Wow, that is a huge buck for any area !!!  I hunt some in the Kettle Moraine Northern unit and the logging there has been a mix of hardwoods and in the pine plantations (which I support).. Only takes a couple of years for the nasty berry bushes and other thick underbrush to re-populate the pine plantations..A tornado/wind storm hit one of my favorite areas pretty hard this past year and it will take years to come back

Post Your Comment
1/12/19 @ 2:39 PM
Deadbucksdontlie
Deadbucksdontlie
USER since 1/10/19

Much appreciated they are all trophies, she was killed in a second choice spot as people were at my first. Was overcast and i had her dead by 330, all dressed out and back to the house still with light left!  It really helps to have a crew to hunt with, hunting around but not on top of eachother lets you bump deer to eachother, as well as scout more sign.   Also helps too when your on a bad streak, say 5 or 6 sits with out seeing any to at least have hope when your buddy has action.  Too many expect too much.  Id love to say its easy. Its not.  I personally try and see deer 45 percent of my sits.  Im gonna have streaks where i see deer 3 or 4 sits in a row,,and then its dead sea....lots of enjoying nature to go w a few buck sightings.  Its taken 30 years of hunting if you include my non weapon days,  but i have more go to spots than i can hunt to be honest.  I try to keep a rotation right around the house of 5 or so fav stands.  Bow season its always been me, my old man, and my brother 10 years my junior,,,as well as many others but us three....i have never once doubted that every year at least one of us will get the job done, and i am super proud of all our kills.   So yeah, im missing the bucks already!  Back to the cdac,,,i like having a forum to dicuss issues. One that has bothered me in recent, say 3 or 4 years is logging that has gone on in many premier properties, kettle morraine and yellowstone come to immediate mind,  large wooded chunks come at a premium in the south...i know the deer prefer the thick woods, always. Im all for, healthy forests, etc....was this for revenue?  I cant think there would be too much from that wood....people up north are begging to have logging up there...i can think of about a bagillion acres in the chequamegon,,,cut there....please  leave the prime areas in southern wi alone.  That being said....the deer simply move over.  I know.  I know it grows back...just frustrating to see historical areas to my crew with nicknames like the marquette interchange totaly ruined for very minor lumber harvest..with that,,nobody in my crew wanted to talk about my 200 pound doe after my "little" brother reset the bar for us.....nov 2, wow is all i could say....im sure its one of the better public land bowkills statewide.  So proud to hunt with him!

Post Your Comment
1/12/19 @ 10:26 AM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

Deadbucks-  I echo the comments from Rangerkid.. One topic I saw you mention was the CDAC process.. While I agree it is far from perfect I do support the overalll concept of having numerous stakeholders at least have the opportunity to meet with local hunters to discuss the upcoming deer season.

Like you I also hunt public land quite alot and like many I have seen a decline in deer numbers over the years. Due to a family issue I could not attend my local CDAC meeting last year but in the two previous years myself and a couple of other attendee's raised concerns about increasing the public land antlerless permits. In both cases the CDAC group decided to keep the permits at the previous year level. I had actually requested for a decrease in the number so it was not a total win but I at least felt the guys that attended the meeting for this issue accomplished a "small win" on this topic. Like you I hunt in multiple counties but can only attend my local county meeting to voice issues. There are other flaws with the CDAC process but I do wish more guys would attend these meetings to voice their concerns. It can have an impact on decisions!!!   Congrat's on that doe, she was a big deer.. 

Post Your Comment
1/11/19 @ 1:31 PM
RangerKid
RangerKid
USER since 6/26/01

Deadbucks, nice wrap up, of your year in review. Thanks for taking the time to write about it. You have a good outlook and perspective on many issues. Oh, and welcome to L.L.

Post Your Comment
1/11/19 @ 10:06 AM
Deadbucksdontlie
Deadbucksdontlie
USER since 1/10/19

2018 is done for me and where i hunt anyways, anyone still pursuing antlerless good luck.  Another season of his and lows, falure and success  Lets go back to the beginning of the year.  I attended my counties cdac meetings and was thouroughly unimpressed with the way the decisions are made concerning the world class hunting we all share.  Personally id prefer people with degrees in wildlife make the informed decisions rather than the folks who ended up on my counties board,  1 was a private land owner who hunts and killed 2 bucks, 1 hunts but not in our county, and the other doesnt hunt, seemed as though maybe they liked going to meetings... few hunters showed up...and there was no real reasoning as to the way the decisions, ie antlerless permits avail and extra seasons etc were made,  Public land hunters seemed totaly unrepresented imo.  I left the second meeting certainly unsatisfied with that whole process...i like hunting many counties and the way they set up the tags it seems geared to have you hunt one county only.  I wish the antlerless was good for say, the whole southern part of state etc, but no.  Now they want it all, where you hunt,when you hunt, public or private,they want all that data and i dont care for it. I hunt many counties and those meetings all seemed to be set up around the same time so you cant hit but one. but thats a whole other issue i guess so back to bow season 2018.  I am a diasabled hunter,i shoot instinctive,and i hunt only public land in all of southern wisco. i believe this was my 26th season.  I hunted the same as i have every year, too much.  Looking back i had one of the slowest starts ever.  Usually the first 2 weeks are almost as good as the rut for me, usually many sightings and many encounters. This year not so much.  Strangely enough it took those couple of weeks before i had really any action, but there was no october lull at all,  many encounters,including a very large doe i harvested mid month.  Ive killed many and it may have been 200 pounds on the hoof...one of many highlights was my son and wife dragging it out, good times.  The rut was....the rut haha.  I had a few encounters with good bucks as always.  As always seemed to kick off around oct25th, i had an encounter w a booner on the 29th, my brother killed a booner on nov 2, and the 3rd and 4th are my historically fav days. I have made every mistake twice haha, and this year i was not perfect.  I was ridin high after shooting my best buck last season, then heartshooting the doe...lady luck turned sour on nov 6 when i shot a really good one in the neck.  Watched him jump 8 feet in the air,,,not too much penetration...but everyone ive ever neckshot i recovered.  This one was not to be...anybody who shoots many has lost a few or they are lying.  Then came gun season, crazy ole gun season and yeah me and my crew had success as always,fresh snow showed me the herd is robust everywhere we tried,  they are all trophies large bucks and tasty little fawns.  I liked there was more of a late bow season of old. I was never a fan of the unlimited gun season things turned into post cwd, im fine with a 9 day traditional.  Buy a bow liscense and come enjoy the relaxed woods.  Anyways late season,,,couple of encounters, of course groups of 3 and  4 every time including last day of the season when i had 3 bucks feeding up a ridge to me, alas if i was ready and not reminiscing on another long season...who knows? they won that day as the wind was wrong, thats hunting, its hard and thats why i love it. We did see fresh active scrapes on dec 27th in the snow if anyone hunts the elusive second rut. Definetely fewer hunters overall this year, more squirrel hunters in sept this year but those guys seem to disappear come oct?  My old mans time in the woods wilI be done soon, many many other older hunters can say the same. I run into less and less wiley old timers, and seem to run into less eager weekend warriors replacing them, or few to no hunters. There are very few public properties i have not hunted, in southern wisco....several that we gave up on for a few years seem to have come back very nicely. Such is the way of things.  Don't get hung up on one spot, every county has prime chunks of land, diversify and change up if things arent working stay positive, enjoy the hunting,the killing is such a small part. This is wisconsin,200 in deer roam our woods, you never know whats comin around the hill! Im happy with them all, So those are my observations of bow 18,and i cant wait till next season...

Post Your Comment
1/9/19 @ 6:33 PM
RangerKid
RangerKid
USER since 6/26/01

Black River Falls is one of the areas I hunt, and I agree with big mac. It's been more than a few years, that no, or extremely limited doe tags were issued. The population has increased and it would be nice to take a doe, especially since the area I'm hunting isn't known for bigger racked bucks. This could very well play into one of the reasons, why license sales are decreasing. 

Post Your Comment
1/9/19 @ 8:21 AM
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

Thump55

I totally understand & know that deer tend to herd-up during the winter. 

The 15 deer I saw Saturday,  were scattered through the day. 

Thus is a common event throughout the hunting season. 

Hey, I just would like the option to harvest a doe once in a while. 

Big Mac 

Post Your Comment
1/9/19 @ 7:24 AM
Thump55
Thump55
USER since 7/19/04

big mac - keep in mind that this time of year deer are herded up together much more than in the fall, so because you see 15 deer in January doesn't mean the same as seeing 15 in fall.

I can tell you that my food plot that was getting drilled all through Sep-Nov by deer had about 5 tracks in it during the week we had snow on the ground. Those deer have gone elsewhere, and whoever's land they are on now is thinking the same as you are: Wow! there are lots of deer. When it is not necessarily the case at all.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 191 Posts