MORE
Archery

2018 Archery Season

8/29/18 @ 12:08 PM
INITIAL POST
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

17 days until go time! How many people actually hunt the early September season? Where in Wisconsin are you hunting? What type of terrain? Any expectations? Introducing any youth to the great outdoors? 

I will start- I absolutely love the first 2 weeks of archery! 

I will be hunting the northern part of Juneau county!

i will be climbing very close to the hottest oak tree in the area! I usually start on a beautiful 40 acre chunk of county land! Trying to leave the private alone until the youth hunt! 

I have higher than normal expectations for this year due to the mild winters and great crop selection! The herd is in really good shape! Not quite as good as pre 2000 doe slaughter years but getting close again! I’m somewhat scared to drive on the roads at night which hasn’t scared me in almost 20 years now! Really hoping my 12 year old daughter or 9 year old nephew connects this year?

We should possibly have 5 youth hunters this year so that is going to make for a great year as long as safety is priority #1!

Im extremely excited as always and ready to go! 17 days and it’s my favorite time of year! I also wanna wish everyone else a safe, enjoyable, and memorable season ahead!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 209 posts
6/3/19 @ 10:22 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

You kill a few 150+'s every year?  We haven't have a deer on cam in 2 years that 3.5.  

There are pockets of good areas they shoot mature deer,  I said that,  but 90% of Wisconsin is just killing land.  If you are killing 3 deer 150 plus I'd say your land is probably one of the best i know of.

5/31/19 @ 9:46 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

LB,  I think you are way underselling the quality of deer hunting in WI. While I certainly agree that overall quality in the state could be improved dramatically, there are many areas south of Hwy 29 that grow very big deer. Obviously, habitat and controlled hunting pressure/harvest restraint are key. My land is likely fairly close to yours and is surrounded by typical "brown is down" yahoos. We see 150 inch + deer every year and manage to kill a few. There are reasons why we're able to do this.

5/30/19 @ 2:45 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Droptine,  you clearly haven't hunted any areas in WI beyond western.  Your statement is so far from reality it's not even funny.

WI has way more "scorch the earth" than "QDM"

That pic of that buck from 18,  what a stud.  man,  beautiful deer.

5/15/19 @ 8:55 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07

Never hunted Illinois but with all the QDM in the state of Wisconsin I can’t imagine a much better place to hunt. I guess if I chose a place to hunt it would be North of the US border. 

4/22/19 @ 8:07 PM
Btw567
User since 9/22/17

I’ve hunted Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin.   The trophy spot is clearly Illinois.  The hunting pressure is low and there are quality bucks.  But there’s not a 150 inch buck behind every tree !

4/22/19 @ 7:44 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
So the buck I killed lived on and off my property for the last 3 years. He always spent a lot of time on my property but preferred to bed off a high point on a ridge of the neighbors property. The buck ended up being pressured by the neighbors most of the season and he finally had enough and took up residence permantly about two weeks before I killed him. The buck was spending more and more time during daylight hours in a food plot of mine that I needed a south to southeast wind to hunt. Luckily for me I was chasing another buck in the 170/180 range on another part of the farm and never felt like I had to force the issue and try to hunt the buck I killed on a poor wind. Finally the day arrived Oct 25th with a slight wind out of the southeast and cool temps I decided to make my first sit. I was up early and in my stand a good hour before shooting time. It just had broken daylight and 3 min into legal shooting time the buck I was after was standing a mere 15yards away. I took the shot but wasn't sure of the placement so I decided to give him to the next day because of lack of blood and fear of bumping the deer. 24 hours after the shot I recovered my trophy. I added a trail camera pic of him from 2017 and one from 2018. 
2018 Archery Season photo by drptine
4/13/19 @ 6:58 PM
jlkohl
User since 6/9/02

Helluva buck Drptine!!!!

LB,...pretty narrow minded on your part to add the FB friend comment. You have no idea what others know and experience. Do you think every part of Iowa/Illinois, etc, has 150"+ bucks running all over it? There are many quality bucks taken in many parts of WI (but most don't show their deer off on social media...me included. Because of petty comments such as most of yours)

4/12/19 @ 9:04 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Sarona, i'm glad you feel that way.  Stay in WI.  

Full Draw,  Facebook and twitter friends don't count.  

4/12/19 @ 8:28 AM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17
It's just LB trying to stir the pot per usual. I still can't decide if he's strictly a troll or just likes to fuel people's fire. I have 3 friends who have killed 150+ in each of the last 3 years in central wisconsin. one was a 163". But they aren't there because LB doesn't have them or see them. So we must not know how to score deer. 
4/12/19 @ 7:49 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05
I have to disagree with the state being void of mid 150's deer statement in the previous post. I have had 6 on camera in far northern wisconsin on public land since 2015. I know of friends that have had others over that mark on their cameras. It just takes a crazy and I mean crazy amount of work to find and stay with a deer like that outside of farm country. If your not running 30-50 cameras over 10's of thousands of acres of public land your not in the game. Thats why most guys push the easy button and go down to farm country and out of state. 
4/12/19 @ 7:48 AM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Well its true that Pepin holds some great bucks but they aren't easy and just because he lives there doesn't mean its a slam dunk. Lots and lots of 125" deer and smaller are shot in Pepin and Buffalo counties. I personally know people who live and farm in Pepin county and own over 600 acres and they kill a 160 plus on average every 5-6 years. Congrats on a great buck- I'm sure you earned him!

4/11/19 @ 2:51 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

If you look at his profile,  he's from Pepin WI,  no secret the hills hold big deer.  That's the only thing that keeps western and southern WI decent yet otherwise it's would be a vast wasteland like the rest.  Change WI to shot gun only,  move the gun season to Dec 1,  one buck,  and we all would have those opportunities.  Unfortunately that will never happen.   

Great buck Drop.  I've never seen a buck in WI over mid 50's.  That's why I spend very little time in WI anymore.  If you don't hunt western WI or out of state,  you have little chance to see, muchless shoot something of that caliber.

4/6/19 @ 11:18 PM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

Let’s hear the story droptine? If that ain’t a personal best you are on some crazy ground!

4/6/19 @ 9:17 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

drptine

AWESOME buck. Not sure if you have told us the story. But could you please tell us about the deer, hunt, & harvest?

Thanks, 

Big Mac 

4/6/19 @ 7:50 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07

Thanks, I was pretty lucky to kill such a beautiful buck; 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 209 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE