2018 Archery Season

8/29/18 @ 12:08 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Casedog
Casedog
USER since 10/4/11

17 days until go time! How many people actually hunt the early September season? Where in Wisconsin are you hunting? What type of terrain? Any expectations? Introducing any youth to the great outdoors? 

I will start- I absolutely love the first 2 weeks of archery! 

I will be hunting the northern part of Juneau county!

i will be climbing very close to the hottest oak tree in the area! I usually start on a beautiful 40 acre chunk of county land! Trying to leave the private alone until the youth hunt! 

I have higher than normal expectations for this year due to the mild winters and great crop selection! The herd is in really good shape! Not quite as good as pre 2000 doe slaughter years but getting close again! I’m somewhat scared to drive on the roads at night which hasn’t scared me in almost 20 years now! Really hoping my 12 year old daughter or 9 year old nephew connects this year?

We should possibly have 5 youth hunters this year so that is going to make for a great year as long as safety is priority #1!

Im extremely excited as always and ready to go! 17 days and it’s my favorite time of year! I also wanna wish everyone else a safe, enjoyable, and memorable season ahead!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 46 Posts
10/15/18 @ 9:01 PM
Alum 16.5
Alum 16.5
USER since 3/24/10

First sit today , not bad pretty cold for first sit ! Skeeters wert bad lol ,  6 doe and one small buck !!! Northern Sauk county good luck all 

Post Your Comment
10/15/18 @ 11:34 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10

I was out over the weekend for my first sit of the year and it was mainly uneventful.  Saw a few does and a few young bucks.  Not much movement.  Acorns are everywhere.  A few fresh rubs and scrapes.  After not checking the cams for several weeks we had a ton of pics to go through.  Some very nice deer and a ton of trespassers on both of our properties.  Oh and I found a crossbow bolt right in front of my rifle stand broadhead broken off and filled with dried blood. A+ jerks ruining my season from the start.

Edited on 10/15/18 11:39 AM
Post Your Comment
10/14/18 @ 11:00 PM
Casedog
Casedog
USER since 10/4/11

Finally got my first good hunt in!! It was awesome listening to the brewers on radio and seeing deer! Great combination and was a great weekend! The reports should start coming in as we are heading into the absolute best time of year! You could almost smell the hormones this weekend! Get ready and enjoy! I wait all year for the next month and a half!! Good luck!

Post Your Comment
10/13/18 @ 11:34 PM
Duck Fever
Duck Fever
USER since 7/6/06

Found an oak ridge full of acorns yesterday on public, kicked a couple does off it walking in.

Hung a stand around 1 today, shot a spiker this evening.   

My my god the acorns...  Find them and the deer are there.

Post Your Comment
10/11/18 @ 7:41 PM
Jigger Pleaz
Jigger Pleaz
USER since 3/30/18

Does anyone else's land look like this? This is the trail to my wife's stand. 3/4 of my land is under water. Crappy thing is there aren't any ducks around.

Post Your Comment
10/2/18 @ 11:31 PM
grady
grady
USER since 11/27/02

Was in Richland country over the weekend. Saw one little buck and 25 baldies in 6 hours of hunting on Saturday.   Took an adult doe that came in alone.    Sat Sunday morning in the rain and didn’t see a deer.   Overall it was a great weekend to be in the woods and I didn’t see a mosquito!

Post Your Comment
10/1/18 @ 7:30 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01

Take a leak in front of your trail cams and watch the deer come right up to it and sniff it for a minute or two.  They are not afraid of it. 

Post Your Comment
9/29/18 @ 10:06 PM
Casedog
Casedog
USER since 10/4/11

Been pissing right off the stand for as long as I have been hunting but to each there own! My season has been very short lived with only one morning to show! Today was a hard day not to be in the woods! I absolutely love the cool overcast fall days and can’t wait to get in the woods! Happy hunting and I also love all the doe stories because they can and are a lot of times harder than the biggest bucks! Since I can’t be in the woods I love hearing stories from the deer woods! Everyone is a memorable moment that you just don’t forget so keep on making them memories!

Post Your Comment
9/29/18 @ 8:37 PM
miggle
miggle
USER since 6/24/06

Sat in a public land spot oriented into the wind. After two hours had to P so went into my bottle and DROPPED THE TOP! 15 mins later a doe and two fawns surprised me from behind, down wind. The doe knew something was up, but the they hung around for 20 mins five yards from my tree. Finally meandered off. Today I bought a collapsible rubber drinking cup with attached lid that will become my new tree stand urinal! Hah! 

Edited on 9/29/18 8:38 PM
Post Your Comment
9/29/18 @ 2:03 PM
Formerly the big guy
Formerly the big guy
MEMBER since 10/3/11

Went last night for the first time this season. Saw a doe and fawn 15 mins. before closing. They stopped 60 yards away and milled around for awhile then ran through. Wind was mostly still but had been in that dircation. Might have spotted movement when I stood up and grabbed the bow. Can't believe she smelled me, wash clothes in scent free soap, wash body in scent free soap, spray down with scentaway, who'd believe they'd get hinkey when they just trotted through somebody's yard! Waushara cty. private.

Edited on 9/29/18 2:06 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 46 Posts