why do people need to run over turtles

9/16/10 @ 6:46 PM
ORIGINAL POST
melbym00
melbym00
USER since 2/1/10
why do people run them over??? just go around them and when they are on the side of the road. why would you move over to hit them. maybe it is just me but come on do you go out of your way to hit a deer? Puke

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 31 Posts
1/19/11 @ 1:17 PM
RiverGuy
RiverGuy
USER since 6/20/03
Squirrel mount? Yes, but I didn't mention anything about yer trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Your Comment
1/19/11 @ 12:14 PM
stank
stank
USER since 12/30/05
My father taught us all to help turtles across roads since we were babies.

Thanks for calling me out online RG! Yes. We are the type of people that have a squirel mount in our trailer.

Post Your Comment
1/19/11 @ 11:49 AM
crawfishdaddy
crawfishdaddy
USER since 2/20/04
I'll help them across the road if I see them, but I have run over one smallish snapper on accident coming home from fishing. Near dusk, coming around a turn, no time to safely stop and I wasn't swerving in that situation with the boat behind me. I like critters too, and would never kill one unnecessarily, but I value my life a little more than a turtle's in that situation. As far as the previous poster regarding pheasants, they can be little suicide machines at times, and I can understand how one could be hit by accident, far more likely than unintentionally hitting a turtle.

Post Your Comment
1/19/11 @ 10:31 AM
RiverGuy
RiverGuy
USER since 6/20/03
Just think stank, if that guy woulda run over that one, your boy wouldn't have got that cool squirrel mount for Christmas!

Post Your Comment
1/19/11 @ 10:19 AM
Stratos219
Stratos219
USER since 2/7/09
I agree there's no excuse for purposely running over a turtle. I've even stopped and helped a bunch off the road. The best technique I've found is to use a board and let them clamp down on it and kinda drag the turtle off the road. Last year I actually left a kinda wedge shaped board in the back of my truck just for that purpose.

Post Your Comment
1/18/11 @ 2:48 PM
Greenheads4Ever
Greenheads4Ever
USER since 2/9/03
Every year I would move the same snapper off of hwy k in green lake. He is always miles away from any water and had the greenest back with a ton of moss on it. Last year I'm driving down k and there is old mossy back flattened by some jag off. Mind you this is in no way a busy highway. He could have been easily avoided and moved. It still peeves me off to this day knowing someone ran him over... Crying

Post Your Comment
1/18/11 @ 2:19 PM
stank
stank
USER since 12/30/05
Awe poor tree rats. What's next RG? You going to make me be nice to my monster in law?

Post Your Comment
1/18/11 @ 1:28 PM
RiverGuy
RiverGuy
USER since 6/20/03
Naw, hes' not, cuz he actually does it! As many as he can lol.

Post Your Comment
1/18/11 @ 12:23 PM
RiverGuy
RiverGuy
USER since 6/20/03
Not to hijack the thread but I work with a guy who enjoys bragging about swerving for squirrels and running them over. And claims to be a sportsman!

Post Your Comment
1/18/11 @ 12:19 PM
luder
luder
USER since 5/12/02
I have helped them also but.........leaping snappers now thats funny

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 31 Posts