Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

why do people need to run over turtles

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

melbym00
melbym00
Level: General User
9/16/10 6:45 PM CST
why do people run them over??? just go around them and when they are on the side of the road. why would you move over to hit them. maybe it is just me but come on do you go out of your way to hit a deer? Puke

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 33
RiverGuy
See Profile
1/19/11 1:16 PM CST
Squirrel mount? Yes, but I didn't mention anything about yer trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stank
stank
1/19/11 12:14 PM CST
My father taught us all to help turtles across roads since we were babies.

Thanks for calling me out online RG! Yes. We are the type of people that have a squirel mount in our trailer.

crawfishdaddy
See Profile
1/19/11 11:48 AM CST
I'll help them across the road if I see them, but I have run over one smallish snapper on accident coming home from fishing. Near dusk, coming around a turn, no time to safely stop and I wasn't swerving in that situation with the boat behind me. I like critters too, and would never kill one unnecessarily, but I value my life a little more than a turtle's in that situation. As far as the previous poster regarding pheasants, they can be little suicide machines at times, and I can understand how one could be hit by accident, far more likely than unintentionally hitting a turtle.

RiverGuy
See Profile
1/19/11 10:30 AM CST
Just think stank, if that guy woulda run over that one, your boy wouldn't have got that cool squirrel mount for Christmas!

Stratos219
See Profile
1/19/11 10:18 AM CST
I agree there's no excuse for purposely running over a turtle. I've even stopped and helped a bunch off the road. The best technique I've found is to use a board and let them clamp down on it and kinda drag the turtle off the road. Last year I actually left a kinda wedge shaped board in the back of my truck just for that purpose.

Greenheads4Ever
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
1/18/11 2:47 PM CST
Every year I would move the same snapper off of hwy k in green lake. He is always miles away from any water and had the greenest back with a ton of moss on it. Last year I'm driving down k and there is old mossy back flattened by some jag off. Mind you this is in no way a busy highway. He could have been easily avoided and moved. It still peeves me off to this day knowing someone ran him over... Crying

stank
stank
1/18/11 2:18 PM CST
Awe poor tree rats. What's next RG? You going to make me be nice to my monster in law?

RiverGuy
See Profile
1/18/11 1:28 PM CST
Naw, hes' not, cuz he actually does it! As many as he can lol.

RiverGuy
See Profile
1/18/11 12:23 PM CST
Not to hijack the thread but I work with a guy who enjoys bragging about swerving for squirrels and running them over. And claims to be a sportsman!

luder
luder
1/18/11 12:18 PM CST
I have helped them also but.........leaping snappers now thats funny

swamp_runner
See Profile
1/15/11 2:43 PM CST
that is a great question I often ask the same question. I helped a mamma( I assume at least) snapper across the same stretch of hwy 33, four years in a row. and last year she got smacked by some jackasss.

you cannot possible convince me you do not see something on the road. My best guess is it is some dumbasssssk kid with dads car.

swamp_runner
See Profile
1/15/11 2:43 PM CST
that is a great question I often ask the same question. I helped a mamma( I assume at least) snapper across the same stretch of hwy 33, four years in a row. and last year she got smacked by some jackasss.

you cannot possible convince me you do not see something on the road. My best guess is it is some dumbasssssk kid with dads car.

MrGloomis
MrGloomis
1/15/11 1:10 PM CST
Just a short story. I work for a major shipping company and drive a large straight truck. I was in West Bend on Schmidt road near the RegalWare building and saw an 8 - 10 inch panted turtle about half way across the road. I put the brakes on pretty heavy and blocked both directions of travel. I got out picked up the guy ( mean as hell too) and set him down next to the water he was heading to. He took off and splashed in with speed. It was nice that no one honked or gave me the finger. It may have been small, but I did what I could.

NiteMite
See Profile
1/15/11 10:31 AM CST
As a result of my experiences, my theory is that a large portion of the turtle killers are the same drivers that hit every pot hole and elevated or sunken sewer cover in their path. I would add age, gender, etc., but ....

Two of the people I'm thinking of are both PETA, anti- cruelty supporters, yet I have personally been in the vehicles on several occasions when creatures were run over. I've learned that saying anything is pointless.

Ski2313
See Profile
1/15/11 9:31 AM CST
i've helped a few cross the road before (snappers, painteds, pine snakes, etc).. With that being said, as mentioned before I'm sure a decent number of them are killed by inattentive drivers. My sister, who is near-PETA status, ran over a big snapper by accident once near my parents' house at a common crossing for turtles. She felt horrible about it, and claimed that the snapper "leapt out in front of her". I've never let her live that one down. Leaping snappers. Who woulda thought?? hahaha

(Mentioning leaping turtles is a hot button topic that may or may not immediately produce welling of the eyes with her.)

Big Smile

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 33
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link.com find us on facebook