Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Deer hunting with rifles in southern wi.

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

fuzzyfishin
fuzzyfishin
Level: General User
9/13/08 10:54 AM CST
Heard that the DNR opened up all cwd areas to rifle hunting. Did check the WDNR and was confirmed. Is this insane? I personaly think that this will bite them in the but. just my opinion.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 57
Wingdam
See Profile
5/20/09 5:33 PM CST
I grew up in dane county hunting with shotguns and if you look at the history of shooting injuries and damages to property both before and after they allowed rifles you will find that it is by far safer with the rifles with more people hunting now than before too. A study was also done in Penn. with the same results. 1 test that they did was take a 30.06 and a 12g. rifled slug fired from the same position aimed at the same point of impact 100 yards out on frozen ground the 30.06 hit farther away but skidded shortly to a stop, whereas the 12g. slug hit sooner but in just about all cases ricochet much farther than the 30.06 carrying more energy. Just my 2 cents worth. Wingdam

Down2erth
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
1/1/09 5:33 PM CST
I hear you there reelman, deer hunting in southern Wi. with rifles, why thats just, so dangerous.

There had to be hundreds of incidents in the CWD area with rifles, the statistics must be wrong! One rifle related injury, that just can't be right...

eyepopper
See Profile
12/31/08 7:43 PM CST
Yes those 4 rules always need to be followed. With a rifle the "and beyond" becomes a little more important. That said my .308 went bang Monday morning in Walworth county and now there's a big fat doe in my freezer.

Heavy Arrow
Heavy Arrow
12/30/08 10:25 AM CST
I'm sure rifles are not significantly more dangerous than shotguns. Look at how most hunting accidents happen. Most gun shot wounds are self inflicted. It is rare that anyone is "shot" at a distance where the differences between shot guns and rifles would matter. If you're careful, hunting is safe regardless of the weapon, even if you're hunting crowded public land. Hunters need to work together and make sure others know just how safe hunting really is.

EyEbanger
See Profile
12/28/08 8:20 PM CST
Talked to the warden tonight. He said there have not been any problems with rifles this year and most of the people he has checked are using them. Southern Dodge, Northern Jefferson counties.

FULL DRAW
See Profile
10/20/08 9:09 PM CST
Tim,

While I totally agree with you that some handguns are shooting the same cartridges that the rifles will be, one also needs to consider that there will be significantly more rifles than there ever were of handguns. I live in one of the counties that has been switched from shotgun to rifle and I know of very few hunters who utitlized handguns.

I disagree with the DNR's rule change. Seems to me they are putting deer kill over safety and I feel thats ridiculous! For years they stated certain areas had to stay shotgun in populated areas for safety reasons and now that they want more deer killed its suddenly ok. Seems everytime I turn around I lose more and more faith in the DNR!

Bass_Pike_man
See Profile
10/8/08 9:58 AM CST
I am glad! I own one gun, and that is a rifle, for deer hunting. Now I can go out after work, during the week, and not have to just rely on the 2 weekends anymore!

I travel 400 miles round trip each of the gun hunt weekends, and wish I could get away from work for the week, but now I can go a night or two during the week.

Mad Trapper
Mad Trapper
9/26/08 7:45 AM CST
From what I hear just talking to friends; that there are alot of towns moving that way. Tim; before it was just the original rifle areas. At least for the most part, I never knew of areas that changed to rifle. Eastern Dane and Rock have been shotgun. The coyote hunters (major group) in the Town of Christiana only use shotguns with buckshot anyway. Now it appears the rules are going to be more complicated for the weapon one can use. Difficult for the people hunting along the Town lines. Not always a road for a border line. I was told the counstable will have to enforce. I am not rushing out now, and picking up a rifle.

SBrader
See Profile
9/25/08 4:19 PM CST
Enforceability, or the will to enforce it, is another issue entirely. It might cost you some money to make the point, though.

Scott

goodoldgus
See Profile
9/25/08 3:34 PM CST
I wonder if other Townships will follow suit and pass a similar ordinance like Christiana did. My one concern would be if lots of townships do pass an ordinance, it puts a lot of responsibility on the hunter's shoulders to know which townships have special ordinances.

It would be nice if the DNR website (or a different website) would have a list of townships where rifles are allowed etc.

Just a thought.......GOG

SBrader
See Profile
9/25/08 2:59 PM CST
Mad Trapper,

Reading only part of a law often leads to confusion. When BJA quoted the law, he neglected to include the part about what was provided in those subs. (3) and (4) that allow exactly the kinds of ordinances you mentioned.

(2) Except as provided in subs. (3) and (4), no political subdivision may enact an ordinance ...

Sub (3) (b), though, says "Nothing in this section prohibits a city, village or town that is authorized to exercise village powers under s. 60.22 (3) from enacting an ordinance or adopting a resolution that restricts the discharge of a firearm."

Government entities still have great latitude on what types of firearms may be discharged within their borders, in effect, giving them the ability to ban rifles in what was once shotgun only areas.

Scott

Mad Trapper
Mad Trapper
9/25/08 12:46 PM CST
Several Townships did or are considering banning rifles larger than .22. Christiana; in Dane Co did today. I heard that sumner in Jefferson Co.; also did the same; but i did not confirm it. I thought the laws put in place several years ago, prohibited local gun laws. There probably is a loop hole. I hope this does not violate the no politics rule. I would hope it can relate to FYI.

Rempump870
See Profile
9/22/08 10:33 AM CST
A gun is a gun. A shotgun can kill just was well as a rifle and vice versa. If the rules of hunting are followed the rifle is no more dangerous than a shotgun. People need to use thier head as they always have. I am sure there will be stories all over the news with people saying their barn, their house thier whatever was hit with a rifle bullet. They forget to mention that their barn, their house and thier stuff had been hit in the past but now it will make news. People need to take things in stride and not worry as much. I hope for a fun and safe season so we can keep the privlidge of shooting rifles in southern Wisconsin. It will make for a fun year of hunting.

Mad Trapper
Mad Trapper
9/22/08 9:40 AM CST
SE Wi. is not a treeless plain. That would be a prarrie.

muskrat30
muskrat30
9/22/08 3:24 AM CST
I saw a slanted story in the news recently about this. It's like when the anti's say "it will be like the wild west if we allow concealed carry". There is no data that rifles are any more of a hazard then shotgun slugs.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 57
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook