Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Chequamegon Grouse hunting

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

LakeDelavan
LakeDelavan
Level: General User
9/26/13 8:24 PM CST
Hello anyone do any grouse hunting around Park Falls in the Chequamegon Nationall forest if so how was it. Also is it able to be hunted without a dog. I am planning on going up around second weekend in october and was wondering if anyone could provide tips on the area. Thanks.

lakeshiner
lakeshiner
10/3/13 1:10 PM CST
Jackbass - You are fine, they only close the facilities like boat launches or places where people may work. The woods itself is fine to go yet.

There is another thread discussing it.

[This post was last edited on 10/3/13 at 1:13 PM]
lota lota
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
10/3/13 11:13 AM CST
For questions about access to the National Forests in Price County, please call 800-269-4505.

Jackbass
Jackbass
10/3/13 10:23 AM CST
So what does it mean when they say the Chequamegon is closed because of the government shut-down? The forest service website said "For general information on Forest Service shutdown procedures, please visit USDA’s website." But that website is closed because of the shut-down. We go up there every year but apparently never during a government shut-down. Any thoughts?

Birdyboy
Birdyboy
9/30/13 10:39 AM CST
You can hunt the Chequamegon without a dog and do just fine. I prefer to hunt with dogs but I've had luck without as well. Some areas get beat up more than others. I drove down Riley Lake and Sheep Ranch road one saturday two years ago and there were guide trucks at every access point. Last year we didn't run into anyone. I always hunt the second and/or third weeks in October there and the leaves should be off or coming off by then. Going this weekend for three days then again the week of the 22nd. Good luck.

trouter
trouter
9/28/13 8:38 AM CST
I stayed at the tribal education camp on Moore Park Road. This is about 8 miles out of Mellen on 77. At the end of the road is Tyler Forks stream. I kicked up 5 grouse that were in the berry patch at the end of the road.

Since I was hiking and not hunting, they got away.

Stop in at the camp, greet Mel Gasper, and walk down the road and get those grouse !

Trouter

PopIsNotDead
See Profile
9/28/13 12:10 AM CST
I hunt in the Fence area, and we were up there opening weekend. We don't use a dog, and the hunting is tough before the underbrush is down. You gotta put miles on. We flushed 5 over the course of 12 miles one day, all flushed early, so no shots. Got one shot on a hen in the alders, but no dice. Later in the season is better, we're heading back up end of October.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook