SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

quick-strike rig clarification

1/7/16 @ 1:07 PM
INITIAL POST
Wrangler83
User since 1/22/14
I'm hoping someone can help me here. Because you are using 1 "bait" (minnow) the fact that there are 2 hooks doesn't matter right? Can I use 3 tipups with quick strike rigs with 3 minnows total while fishing by myself? thanks!
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
1/11/16 @ 8:10 AM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10
I've found the DNR to be very responsive and helpful with clarifications to the regs. I've had to ask them a few questions and they've been great with their answers.
1/8/16 @ 6:19 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10
I contacted the DNR with the following: "I have a question regarding clarification of the "3 hooks, baits, lures" line from the regulations pamphlet. If using a quick strike rig, does that count as 2 hooks or is that one bait, i.e. if I have a quick strike rig out on one pole, can I have 2 other lines out with a single hook on each? If I have a jig with a stinger hook, is that one lure or 2 hooks? I thought that the old regulations had clarified this further but I can't remember. I know that an Alabama rig can only have 3 hooked lures attached to it and that fulfills all 3 allowed hooks and that a crankbait with 3 trebles attached is a single lure, but I am not sure how stinger or quick strike rigs fall under the regulations." This was their response: "For the quick strike rig is it capable of catching 1 fish or 2 (it would depend on how far apart the hooks are)? If it is capable of catching 2 fish then that would count as 2 and you would only be able to have out one more line with 1 bait or lure. So in your example if you have a quick strike on one pole and it is capable of only catching 1 fish then you have 2 other lines with a single hook. The jig with a stinger hook would be one if it looks like the picture I found on the internet (as the hooks are close together and it is capable of catching 1 fish). https://www.google.com/search?q=quick+strike+rig&biw=1280&bih=938&tbm=isch&imgil=jrUGUuLujtXl3M%253A%253BLGBKleWYeFz6MM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.musky.com%25252Ffeatures%25252Fstrike.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=jrUGUuLujtXl3M%253A%252CLGBKleWYeFz6MM%252C_&usg=__o2YGRkF-AQ_IiG31ZkpwZVnzP5s%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjwsIvM6JrKAhXMRCYKHQdXDxAQyjcIRA&ei=KvyPVvDzK8yJmQGHrr2AAQ#tbm=isch&q=jig+with+a+stinger+hook&imgrc=Flv20bHZlD_EbM%3A You are correct on the Alabama Rig and that is because with it having 3 hooks it is capable of catching 3 fish so if you use that you can not have any other poles. You are correct on the treble with 3 hooks being considered one. It is because the treble is capable of catching 1 fish." It appears as though the the rule is whether it can catch multiple fish or not for how many of the allowed "hooks" it consumes. Thank you, Jennifer G. - CSWeb Bureau of Customer and Outreach Services Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Phone: 1-888-936-7463 Fax: 608-261-4380 [email protected]
1/8/16 @ 10:07 AM
scmuskies
scmuskies
User since 10/14/03
Yes - each minnow counts as one bait. Same as you can troll 3 lines (where allowed) with crankbaits that have more than one hook on them. sc
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE