Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Best economical waders

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

gamehunter
gamehunter
Level: General User
9/6/11 8:36 AM CST
I am in the need of a new pair of insulated chest waders for the upcoming duck season. I am on a budget. I see there are quite a few pairs out there for around 120 bucks. Most do not have any extra pockets or anything fancy, however. Just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction I need to go. What are some good ones for low prices, and which ones should I stay away from. I am trying to put some cash together, but my slush fund is not as big as it should be due to some fishing expenses. List any deals that you know of too. I live in Fond du lac area.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 22
duck duck goose
duck duck goose
2/17/12 12:31 PM CST
Check Rodgers sporting goods online, they often have great deals on waders. I would get at least 1000 g thinsulate in the boot.

Black Mouth
See Profile
2/17/12 11:04 AM CST
I was a big fan of Cabelas waders, till I got two pairs of there breathable camos and had both pairs soles on the boots leak. I was able to fix them, but thats besides the point. My wife likes hers, but she only uses hers maybe a dozen or so times a year.

I bought a pair of FroggToggs Bullfrogs and they are by far the best waders Ive ever owned. Got them for around 200 from Sportsman Guide. They always have great deals on waders. I wouldnt shop anwhere else for them.

The one thing about the FroggToggs, there boots run the same size as regular boots. For example, I usualy wear a 10.5-11 boot, and in cabelas waders ill wear a 10. the froggoggs i wear a 11. there boot structure is probally the best ive ever worn in a wader.http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/mens-footwear-waders.aspx?c=11&s=450

[This post was last edited on 2/17/12 at 11:36 AM]
CazTrait
See Profile
9/22/11 11:22 AM CST
hookup25
hookup25
9/22/11 10:59 AM CST
I ahd leaky seams also byut i fixed the problem by putting gorrila glue along all the seams and it works really well...

steelhdr
steelhdr
9/21/11 11:32 PM CST
Hey to all fellow hunters out there. I am a little strapped for cash before this opener and found my waders to have some leaky seams. Ive got some hodgman 5mm neos. Anyone in SE wi have a pair of waders size 12 they would be willing to borrow me (I would give a deposit on them) thanks send me a message on here or send me a email schneiks65@gmail.com

Shawn

and i know the comments will be coming that i should have been prepared but things happen and the slush funds dwindle

snipe n
See Profile
9/19/11 3:30 PM CST
I used to buy Hodgman's Rubber or cloth faced rubber waders. To me they were good waders for 2 maybe 3 years depending on the amount of jump shooting you did. Now i hunt Cabela ice busters 179.00 . Used to buy 3 hodgmans for that price. Icebuster are way warmer. Although when it is frigid out neopremes get icy when wet where rubber does not.

crapps
crapps
9/19/11 12:43 PM CST
Has anyone had any luck good or bad with Frogg Togg - Marsh Togg waders?

The price is right but I'm worried about durability.

Thanks!

Schultzey
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
9/8/11 7:43 PM CST
You normally get what you pay for when buying waders. I have had my Cabela's Ultimate waders for over five years now.

Ron

team_starcraft
See Profile
9/8/11 7:19 PM CST
here is one of the reviews on teh gander mountain waders

Comments about Gander Mountain Guide Series® 3.5mm Neoprene Stout Boot-Foot Waders, Advantage® Max-4™ Camo:

The rubber on boot is very thin. Will rip on any stick up. Ripped 2nd time I wore them. Front of boot is now starting to dry rot. Seam that separates handwarmer and other pocket came loose after 3 wears. Leaks at seams. I am not very hard on my waders, these things just feel apart. Asked Gander Mtn. about warrenty on waders was told they do not have warrenty on them. They are the only company I have delt with that dont replace waders when they dont perform as they should. Stay away from these.

team_starcraft
See Profile
9/8/11 7:17 PM CST
I understand your mentality. I once thought the same thing. I am gonna beat the crap out of these waders one way or another.. why not just get the cheap ones and buy a tube of gorilla glue..

Too all people reading, I attest, when you buy quality, u get quality.

if u buy 3.5's expect non-stop holes, and your mentality will be all waders get holes like that,. when u buy 5mm with armor flex u probably will not be getting them holes. u will be comfortable warm and safe. and great customer service when you do have problems. well worth the extra money. trust me. and trust the 400 people that reviewed the supermags.

team_starcraft
See Profile
9/8/11 6:52 PM CST
really? 3.5mm 600g?

Buy cabela's and your buying the best plus they back up there craftsmanship with the BEST customer service in the industry.

When you bust the seem on those gandermountain ones you think they will give you a brand new pair? what about after u own them for 5 years?

team_starcraft
See Profile
9/8/11 3:52 PM CST
Collect cans, work overtime, deliver papers, sell drugs, do what ever you have to do to save up another 100$ for supermags.

You will never regret getting them. ever. (maybe if its hot outside haha)

If you buy cheap, expect cheap performance. ripped seams, holes, cold leaky boots, tearing boots ect.

Now alot of people will argue that a tube of silicon and a cheap pair of waders will get you through. but trust me. when its 10 degrees outside those people will stare at your waders worshipping you. Hands down, i will never own a different wader.

Don't take my word for it. read the 400 reviews with an average rating of 4.7/5.0 on cabela's website.

Kates_Always_Hunting
See Profile
9/7/11 10:42 AM CST
My widgen waders by Pro-Line 5mm neoprene in max 4 cam ... havn't failed me yet easy on easy off always dry and they were inexpensive at dicks sporting goods. Very comfortable Always dry and Never Cold. I'm extremely happy that they have held up through thick and thin ice that is during trapping season.

duck duck goose
duck duck goose
9/6/11 12:17 PM CST
Check Rodgers sporting goods online, they usually run some good deals. Try on some locally to guage your size.

If you get hot and sweaty real easily stick with the 3.5mm neoprene. If not the 5mm arent bad, good pockets are a plus. Id take no less than 1000 grams of insulation in the boot, the boot insulation is most important especially if you stand in water for extended periods.

gamehunter
gamehunter
9/6/11 10:31 AM CST
Definately want insulated noeprene. I think having at least 600 or 800 grams at the least is a must. Also need them with the boots.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 22
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook