Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

best Mojo decoy placement

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

bcharliegood27
bcharliegood27
Level: General User
3/8/10 2:45 PM CST
i bought a mojo on clearance so i havent been able to use it yet. i was wondering where the best place to put the mojo is in relation to your decoys. i usually put a group of mallards on the right and teal on the left and wood ducks in the middle right next to the blind. the idea is to get the ducks to land in the middle right in front of me. any ideas to put the mojo.

thanks

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 17
boo boo
boo boo
3/18/10 1:46 PM CST
We put our mojos right where we want our shots. Many times ducks land within a foot of the pole, and we have even had birds wings tick the mojo wings.

We let the birds dictate weather we use them. But usually we do. We often use 3 and occasionally up to 5. We also use jerkstrings and quiver butts.

I think hunters give these birds with a brain the size of an acorn too much credit. I have witnessed local birds wise up to them, but I think we are too close to no-man land for the young of the year migrators to have a clue.

My general rule of thumb is,,,,,local birds, find where they want to be and you don't need much for decoys or motion. Migrators,,,,,be visible, make them think you are the birds that know where they want to be.

Benelli_4572
Benelli_4572
3/18/10 11:47 AM CST
Jerk string, quiver magnets, bilge pump, are motion systems that I belive produce on any occasion. Mojos loose their luster early in the season over water. Fields, they are good throuout the year, but so are kites, vortex motion systems, and fliers. I bet if we go into the arcives far enought their will be a thread about string-o-wings, and how awsome they are. Tounge Out Im not a pureist, I just feel that every darn spread does not need to throw out their mojo to give their spread motion. It is no different than the hunter that buys a dozen mallards and keeps his spread at 12. Them birds see that the whole trip south for the winter. It just seems gaudy when you go out in the marsh and see 20 spreads and 19 of them have their mojos out. I will be that one guy without and use some other method for decoy motion and shoot my birds and get out. Im ok with that. IMO

DUK FEVR
DUK FEVR
3/18/10 11:00 AM CST
why do you guys not like spinning wings? or others using spinning wings?

Cause they are "purists"... Wink

SFC S
See Profile
3/18/10 8:12 AM CST
yeah they definately lose their shine as the season progresses. Mine is an old model, has one of them flambeau mallard full body decoys for the body. Lots of vibration and noise if it's not balanced just right. I cant abuse it enough to need a new one though!

think I'll get one of the smaller models when i do replace it. im thinkin even the teal would do the job.

MuskyHunter
See Profile
3/17/10 3:09 PM CST
Mojos have a time and a place. Cloudy overcast days are not one of them. Piss pounded the birds over 3 last year on sunny days. Remote and intermittent spinning are also used. Shot decoying geese over 3 of them last year as well. This was over water though. They suck for geese in the field from my observations.

I personally think mojos work better in the fields for ducks but also have a place in small water.

I set mine on the edge of the open hole.

theimer
See Profile
3/17/10 2:53 PM CST
why do you guys not like spinning wings? or others using spinning wings?

i use mine with another decoy that has it's wing set. most of the time i got my spinning wing shut off. the only time i seen my spinning wing work is when it's sunny and blue bird day out.

CazTrait
See Profile
3/17/10 12:56 PM CST
Jerk string.

Benelli_4572
Benelli_4572
3/10/10 11:17 AM CST
I appreciate it too! There is a lot better motion setups that produce better than mojos. This is extra true in the late season, after every "johnny weekend" hunter throws out their mojo and skyblast at them early in the year!

DUK FEVR
DUK FEVR
3/10/10 6:48 AM CST
For those that say leave it in the box, I appreciate you guys doing that. Wink

Benelli_4572
Benelli_4572
3/10/10 6:33 AM CST
best place for a mojo........... In the box box you bought it in, on the shelf! haha! Tounge Out

shoot It Down
See Profile
3/10/10 12:51 AM CST
Where you want the birds to land... In the field i put the mojo right next to my blind so i can turn it off if geese come around...

ddemusic22
ddemusic22
3/9/10 5:28 PM CST
never put any dekes where you want the ducks to land including mojos. i always make a hole in my dekes and thats where i put my mojo. out front but off the side where i dont want them to land. because once there about to commit and land it much movement to close to there runway. and the remote with the delay seems to work the best. hope this works

Rempump870
See Profile
3/9/10 11:27 AM CST
One thing to keep in mind when using a mojo. The birds are looking at the mojo so ideally you do not want the birds line of sight to include you or your blind.

I like it off to one side or the other if the wind/setup allows. The birds will most likely land or at least commit to the mojo so that should be where you plan on taking them.

SFC S
See Profile
3/8/10 4:52 PM CST
right where you want the ducks to land

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 17
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook