Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Northern Wisconsin Duck/Diver Field Report

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

nofish77
nofish77
Level: General User
11/7/08 8:53 AM CST
Ok guys no more planes reports or your personal opinion that the birds are gone and season is over! Far as I am concern it is only going to get better(some years better than others) pending on the weather. Hunting in Northern Wisc is not the best Waterfowling Country but with great up to date field reports! It is always nice to hear from others on forums like this,it helps! Not asking where the birds are at but just honest field reports on what you saw in the field your previous hunt in Northern Wisc. Weather is always a factor in Hunting here,hoping with this weather system this weekend we can get a fresh push of birds around here,cause we need them!! God Bless

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 17
Abest
Abest
11/24/08 8:37 PM CST
Hunted Burnett cty the 20th &21st B-4 deer season. Last few years have always seen birds around the area we hunt. Was not at all disapointed It was cold but we found some water and the birds just dove right in. Mals& geese with plenty of feed around and some water they werent going anywhere. Saw a big group on my way home 2nite. This is the 1st time I have duck hunted up that way and will return. mor mallards ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!

director
director
11/19/08 9:05 PM CST
Not the northwoods but worth mentioning................. Driving north today on hwy 41 @ Oshkosh I saw approx 200 Mallards and approx 300 geese from the Butte des Morts bridge. Excellent sight for a guy from "up north" that hasn't seen alot of birds for 2 weeks................... Countless geese spotted from Oshkosh south to Milwaukee.

nofish77
nofish77
11/16/08 5:34 PM CST
Found a large group of mixed divers on big water in southern vilas county and group of swans. The next fews day of open water is coming to a end. Still birds around if you can brave the weather

duckhunternate
See Profile
11/15/08 2:03 PM CST
It's so close to no birds in Burnett County it's not worth mentioning. I haven't seen more than a couple dozen birds on any body of water in the last two weeks. I'm thinking our freeze up of the smaller bodies of water pushed a lot of birds out. The geese are even harder to come by since it froze. I'm thinking that it's all but over here in the NW part of the state. I hope I'm wrong.

team_starcraft
See Profile
11/14/08 10:04 PM CST

divers in the field?

DiverDown
DiverDown
11/11/08 6:07 PM CST
Hunted in Oneida County over the weekend. Saturday shot my limit of buffleheads. That was about the only ducks that I saw. Had flocks of 35-50 coming in frequently. Sunday I managed to get one goldeneye, one bufflehead and a hen Oldsquaw. Not much for birds but Buffies and Goldeneyes. Bluebills that were there the previuos few days were gone.

director
director
11/11/08 4:53 PM CST
Langlade County-------- Worked a flock of about 250 geese yesterday am and ended up with 3 birds for 3 guys. Went scouting at about 10am for a few hours. Most places turned up empty but did manage to find a lake with a fair amount of divers. Mostly Buffies but there was about 15 Mallards out there as well. Going to try it later this week.

ripper
See Profile
11/11/08 3:03 PM CST
I'd be on the wrong lake because I don't like eating mergansers. Am I the only one who doesn't shoot these things?? I like to let buffleheads pass for bigger ducks also. I must be weird or something.

clear
clear
11/11/08 2:56 PM CST
Spent the last four days hunting around Conover in Vilas County. We targeted a rice lake and had lots of success in the mornings while the evenings were dead. We got out EARLY with a full spread set out before open season. We shot a lot of Blue Bills, Hoodies and common mergansers, also saw Bufflehead, bu they were too fast. The cold weather was a little tough, but the hunting was well worth it. If you aren't seeing birds you are on the wrong lake.

nofish77
nofish77
11/9/08 7:35 PM CST
Not much to report here today. Glassed alot of big water and no sign of divers Angry

nofish77
nofish77
11/8/08 8:27 PM CST
S.Vilas County Hunted this evening had a few flocks haulin the tail wind from the NW nothing in the bag. Should push a few fresh birds into the area. Heading out in the AM and will keep posted~

director
director
11/7/08 8:46 PM CST
I too hunt Langlade county. This past Sat we hunted the Wolf River where it dumps into upper Post Lake. Saw 20 ducks in 5 hours. Kind of a mixed bag with Mallards making up the majority. A little slow for ducks but the stars were awesome about an hour before daylight. Never saw a prettier sky in 20 yrs of hunting. (its all part of the hunt) ......... Talk with alot of local hunters often. Nobody is really seeing alot right now. Few here and a few there. Fingers crossed that more birds blow in.

nofish77
nofish77
11/7/08 8:19 PM CST
Not much around here, in Southern Vilas County. The last two evenings didn't even see a bird on a rice lake that holds allot of birds. Stayed out till dark to see if some birds will roost for the night (usually they come in by the thousands)and not a one. They must have boogied out of here last weekend with the north wind. Had a friend on the Willow Flowage last weekend limited out on the the divers in the snow and hasn't shot a bird since. Hopefully with the weather this weekend will push a few fresh birds in!! Also glassed a few bigger lakes and didn't see anything! That is all I know around here!

Langlade
See Profile
11/7/08 4:53 PM CST
Hunted northern Langlade county three mornings this week. A few mallards around as well as flocks of 20 or so buffleheads. Hunting Islands on bigger bodies of water (for the area) Saw some birds but the shooting gods weren't shining on me Crying

duckjunkie
duckjunkie
11/7/08 12:21 PM CST
What part of northern Wi are you looking for? I'm in Hurley and the divers have been giving me something to shoot at almost everyday the past week and a half.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 17
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook