MORE
Turkey Hunting

What was he doing?

4/24/16 @ 7:32 PM
INITIAL POST
Can
Can't Catch a walleye!
User since 1/23/15
Just looking for some info on some odd behavior we observed yesterday.( or maybe it isnt that odd). To set the stage we were hunting in a wooded area with decoys diagonal to the right of us (15 yds) and a strutting tom diagonal to the left of us (40yds) on his was in he stopped and got down like he was breeding a hen, but there was no hen under him! Hunched over, tail down and back all spiked up. He did this for about 10 seconds, went back to full strut, and proceded to come in. Took 10 more steps and i got him. There were more 2 other, more dominate toms withing 70 yds of us if that makes a difference. What was he doing? Was he just peeing or what?Thanks for any imput!!
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
4/27/16 @ 11:15 AM
Can
Can't Catch a walleye!
User since 1/23/15
Yes that true Keeper of the Gates. I've never watched an episode of Seinfeld, little before my time. And yea Wicasa, He knew he had it comin. Actually had a close call with this bird 45 min earlier (gobbled 6 times at 50 yds) until another tom chased him and his buddies away 150 yards. Actually got to see them fight! They then got brave enough to come back and came strutting right in. Actually got a little 2 min video of him coming in and taking him down. Great morning in the woods! As a group we've been lucky enough to take 3 toms out of one flock roosting in this chunk of woods, and there still 2 or three still in there. Starting figure this game out. One of the most valuable things ive learned is turkeys are predictably unpredictable. Chasing these birds are one of my favorite things to do. Good luck and have a safe and successful season to all!
4/25/16 @ 11:45 AM
Keeper of the Gate
User since 7/18/05
Migr8r was referencing a catch phrase from the sitcom Seinfeld. Looking at your excellent photo (congrats by the way!) I suggest you are too young to be in the Seinfeld know. That's ok.
4/25/16 @ 10:38 AM
Can
Can't Catch a walleye!
User since 1/23/15
Thanks joeywadu, and no we wernt calling to him being he was so close. What do you mean migr8te?
4/25/16 @ 12:20 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
He was not the master of his domain. Seriously.
4/24/16 @ 9:59 PM
joeywadu
User since 5/13/02
Cant catch: He was doing a dry run. he was practicing. we seen it last week also. He was probably so excited that he didn't need a hen. Were you calling to him? really just an excitable boy. Good job WADU
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE