Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Lakers in Ontario

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

smbrickner
smbrickner
Level: MEMBER
6/2/11 12:47 PM CST
I am heading up to Lake Minnetaki (Sioux Lookout) towards the end of june and I want to try something new for a day or 2. how would you recommend a beginner goes about fishing for lakers. I am running an 18 foot Lund with a 115. I have a couple 9 foot trolling rods I use for trolling cranks for walleyes but no 60 foot diving cranks. Should I just put a minnow bait on a 3 way rig and drag it around? I don't want to spend alot of extra cash on this but would like to try it.

smbrickner
smbrickner
6/23/11 2:53 PM CST
Ok so I went to gander last night and got some 1 oz water gramlin snap on weights (kinda like snap weights) and a few trolling spoons. My plan is to have one rod with a 3 way rig with a minnow style crankbait on one rod and to troll a spoon on the other. How do I know how deep the spoon is running as I add weight to the line?

smbrickner
smbrickner
6/6/11 12:30 PM CST
So I pulled out my handy trollers bible over the weekend and I see that Mann's makes a plus 30 crankbait that will go 42 feet with 160 feet of line out. If I add a 1 oz snap weight I will be able to get down as far as 60 is needed. Anybody used these?

Black Mouth
See Profile
Level: General User
6/4/11 12:49 AM CST
i suppose you dont have down riggers? if you did you could just troll with regular lake spoons. a full color of leadcore is deadly with a watermelon or green/silver fishlander or northern king.

u can run dipseys too. in june, the lakers arent that deep, usually 20-30' down. if its a late spring up there, they might even be in shallow. ive caught them in 8 fow in june fishing for walleyes before.

[This post was last edited on 6/4/11 at 12:51 AM]
D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
Level: General User
6/2/11 8:11 PM CST
All the guys told me about the same when I started going after lakers on Big green and a few trips to Michigan. Pinch weight and the same stuff you would run for walleyes. I like the idea of a three way and live bait as well. You can jig for them too. 1/2 jig and twisters. I made up a few inline weights and trolled away. Play with the amount of line behind the boat till you find them. Little Cleos work as well. Good Luck

[This post was last edited on 6/2/11 at 8:42 PM]
smbrickner
smbrickner
6/2/11 1:43 PM CST
So jigging a blade bait like I would for Walleyes would work?

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Madison Fishing Expo Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook