Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Lakers in Ontario

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

smbrickner
smbrickner
Level: MEMBER
6/2/11 12:47 PM CST
I am heading up to Lake Minnetaki (Sioux Lookout) towards the end of june and I want to try something new for a day or 2. how would you recommend a beginner goes about fishing for lakers. I am running an 18 foot Lund with a 115. I have a couple 9 foot trolling rods I use for trolling cranks for walleyes but no 60 foot diving cranks. Should I just put a minnow bait on a 3 way rig and drag it around? I don't want to spend alot of extra cash on this but would like to try it.

smbrickner
smbrickner
6/23/11 2:53 PM CST
Ok so I went to gander last night and got some 1 oz water gramlin snap on weights (kinda like snap weights) and a few trolling spoons. My plan is to have one rod with a 3 way rig with a minnow style crankbait on one rod and to troll a spoon on the other. How do I know how deep the spoon is running as I add weight to the line?

smbrickner
smbrickner
6/6/11 12:30 PM CST
So I pulled out my handy trollers bible over the weekend and I see that Mann's makes a plus 30 crankbait that will go 42 feet with 160 feet of line out. If I add a 1 oz snap weight I will be able to get down as far as 60 is needed. Anybody used these?

Black Mouth
See Profile
Level: General User
6/4/11 12:49 AM CST
i suppose you dont have down riggers? if you did you could just troll with regular lake spoons. a full color of leadcore is deadly with a watermelon or green/silver fishlander or northern king.

u can run dipseys too. in june, the lakers arent that deep, usually 20-30' down. if its a late spring up there, they might even be in shallow. ive caught them in 8 fow in june fishing for walleyes before.

[This post was last edited on 6/4/11 at 12:51 AM]
D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
Level: General User
6/2/11 8:11 PM CST
All the guys told me about the same when I started going after lakers on Big green and a few trips to Michigan. Pinch weight and the same stuff you would run for walleyes. I like the idea of a three way and live bait as well. You can jig for them too. 1/2 jig and twisters. I made up a few inline weights and trolled away. Play with the amount of line behind the boat till you find them. Little Cleos work as well. Good Luck

[This post was last edited on 6/2/11 at 8:42 PM]
smbrickner
smbrickner
6/2/11 1:43 PM CST
So jigging a blade bait like I would for Walleyes would work?

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook