Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

How fast does a trout grow?

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
Level: General User
4/15/11 8:58 AM CST
So I was looking at some stocking data from the DNR and they have yearling's listed at about 9 inches give or take? They really grow that fast or is that just a term .? I'm assuming ideal conditions, etc. can help them along.

steelslr0007
See Profile
4/29/11 1:20 AM CST
Awesome post Greyghost! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile

theimer
See Profile
4/17/11 11:29 AM CST
that may be true for a great lake trout being 9 in. in one year. i read that brown trout only live up to 5 years.

D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
4/16/11 12:53 PM CST
Greyghost, Way to funny . You made my day! Big Smile

Greyghost
See Profile
4/16/11 12:29 PM CST
There ar quite a few things that determine the growth rate of a fish. 1. Who caught it 2. Who was around when it was caught 3. Whether or not a camera was used to record the catch 4. Previous attempts of number 1 to tell about other trophy harvest 5. Distance from place fish was caught to first public watering hole In the absence of reliable witness of good character and sober presence I have seen trout grow 4 to 5 inches in a matter of hours. Without the need to say this but saying it anyway I have never been a party to such shoddy behavior. Wink

jeff68
jeff68
4/16/11 8:03 AM CST
It depends. Steelhead spawn after what 3 yrs of age? Small stream brookies could be easily that old and only 9"

[This post was last edited on 4/16/11 at 8:04 AM]
trackerrat
See Profile
4/15/11 2:56 PM CST
I do know for a fact the fish that get pellets for food grow very fast. So it might be possible for a yearling to reach nine inches.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook