Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

How fast does a trout grow?

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
Level: General User
4/15/11 8:58 AM CST
So I was looking at some stocking data from the DNR and they have yearling's listed at about 9 inches give or take? They really grow that fast or is that just a term .? I'm assuming ideal conditions, etc. can help them along.

steelslr0007
See Profile
4/29/11 1:20 AM CST
Awesome post Greyghost! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile

theimer
See Profile
4/17/11 11:29 AM CST
that may be true for a great lake trout being 9 in. in one year. i read that brown trout only live up to 5 years.

D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
4/16/11 12:53 PM CST
Greyghost, Way to funny . You made my day! Big Smile

Greyghost
See Profile
4/16/11 12:29 PM CST
There ar quite a few things that determine the growth rate of a fish. 1. Who caught it 2. Who was around when it was caught 3. Whether or not a camera was used to record the catch 4. Previous attempts of number 1 to tell about other trophy harvest 5. Distance from place fish was caught to first public watering hole In the absence of reliable witness of good character and sober presence I have seen trout grow 4 to 5 inches in a matter of hours. Without the need to say this but saying it anyway I have never been a party to such shoddy behavior. Wink

jeff68
jeff68
4/16/11 8:03 AM CST
It depends. Steelhead spawn after what 3 yrs of age? Small stream brookies could be easily that old and only 9"

[This post was last edited on 4/16/11 at 8:04 AM]
trackerrat
See Profile
4/15/11 2:56 PM CST
I do know for a fact the fish that get pellets for food grow very fast. So it might be possible for a yearling to reach nine inches.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird The 60 Second Angler St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook