Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

fly fishing elete

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Coulee_region_adventures
See Profile
Level: General User
3/29/11 7:28 AM CST
I recently went to a dinner and met many Trout Unlimited chapter presidents to carry a message.

What I took from that meeting is their passion for fly fishing. I first would like to congratulate Trout Unlimited for taking steps for making our waters better. I spoke to Trout Unlimited members from across the country and learned that they all work hard and care for the quality of the water they fish in.

I also learned of their passion for the sport of fly fishing. It seemed the general census is "I tie flies and use them to catch fish because something I created is catching fish." when asked why I don't tie my own flies or purchase stock lures as a spin caster, I asked them if they wanted to learn more about the decline of Roman civilization and the uprising of Islam through this decline.. a couple laughed and asked if I was a student.. ummm yea. I think once this school and work thing offers more time, I think I might pick fly tying back up.

All kidding aside, Thank you to the local TU members that invited me to this dinner and letting me carry my message of getting families involved with the sport and my non profit work of Reel Recovery. I'll be attending more TU meetings in the spring ;)

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 18
Coulee_region_adventures
See Profile
6/24/11 8:26 AM CST
Guy who writes the news letter.

[This post was last edited on 6/24/11 at 8:34 AM]
D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
6/24/11 6:58 AM CST
I heard this from a very, very reliable source . Who did you talk to?

Coulee_region_adventures
See Profile
6/23/11 8:45 PM CST
Rumer dissolved. Spoke with a member of the LaCrosse area TU leadership and confirmed that they are in good shape and are looking forward to another season. They will be set up at Coon Creek Fest.

I have tentative plans on being a keynote speaker in their 2011-2012 season.

D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
6/23/11 6:20 PM CST
Rumor has it the the La Crosse chapter of TU is Folding ? Where will you be a key note speaker now CRA? Aren't you involved with that outfit?

tradrboy
tradrboy
5/15/11 8:33 PM CST
I was a member of TU for years, I agree their intentions are good. However, 2 summers ago TU did extensive work on one of my favorite streams, Camp Creek. The stream was not in need of restoration, on the contrary, the trout populations have always been very high and reproduction good. After the work was completed the fishing went to hell. They just as well have laid down an asphalt pathway along the stream bank. It is now so easy to fish that it gets fished to death. I have rarely had good fishing on ANY TU projects.

Speaking politically, TU is much too aligned with the tree hugging environmental wackos. I'm tired of the Green's holding this country hostage. We can't drill for oil or gas and now we can't use nuclear energy. TU and other groups are the reason I'm paying $4.45 for gas.

So I did not renew my TU membership this year.

goh
goh
5/1/11 1:38 PM CST
One thing people seem to forget is that the fly rod is a tool meant to be used in certain situations. When the criteria for the fly rod are not met, there is no reason to use it. If the fish are shallow and spooky in wide open areas, the fly rod is the necessary piece of equipment. When the area you are fishing makes the tropical jungles look like a desert, the spinning rod is probably better. It's great for people to be passionate about their sport, but if one fails to see the artistic qualities in another discipline of our sport, their self-imposed arrogance is a sure sign that they've just seriously curbed their learning curve. I've seen this inability to adapt from both sides of the road, but the most of the few TU guys I've met were pretty darned degrading and condescending....until I brought up my salt water experience, at which time most of them tried to talk to me as equal, but I had already lost my interest in their conversation. If you really wanna pick a bone with a lot of them, ask them why they are so gung-ho about trout preservation when so many of them take forever and a half to land a 9 inch trout on a 5 weight fly rod basically killing the fish? I say they are being managed to be a sustainable and renewable resource depending on which stream you're on, so why is it so bad for a guy who happens to like eating trout to keep a few? And what happened to the incredibly old tradition of using live grasshoppers, crickets, worms, etc., from the stream bank for trout? This is one of the best highways of teaching observation and exploration to young anglers! Just my two cents.

Greyghost
See Profile
5/1/11 1:31 PM CST
Yes it is when I trout I am usually alone might ride to the place with someone then we split. Took kids a few times but then I told them they could always go with or would take the to the lake they chose the lake. Get a lot of thinking doen wading around a trout stream have solved many problems. Maybe that is what our politicians should do instead of meeting in washingotn meet in colorado or montana keep they away from here tho...........

jeff68
jeff68
5/1/11 7:07 AM CST
Unfortunately, I think the reputation is the attraction for many &!*holes, i mean narcissists. For myself, the sport has always been something I enjoy alone or with one or two other individuals.

[This post was last edited on 5/1/11 at 7:09 AM]
Greyghost
See Profile
5/1/11 4:32 AM CST
Trout unlimited has done some good things for trout habitat but they have done harmful things for trout fisherman. The pull heavy weight to get trout streams regulated for no kill areas. They also like to open up streams making flyrodding more accessible. In southern WI they have teamed with groups from other states to build up or local streams making weekend fishing there almost reservation only. All using the resourses and I don't mind as much now I fish during the week to avoid big crowds. Have gone to many work days and truly like to watched the elite show up in clean clothes with a coffee cup in hand wander around for a photo opp and never do any real labor clothes are still clean three hours later. I have also been told on more than one occasion while fishing that the person who just arrived at the hole I was walking too is a member of trout unlimited and he will be fishing the hole now. Thought it was pretty funny watching the good doctor from Platteville putting his tackle together standing in the middle of the steam while I cast between his legs. Smile

Keeper of the Gate
Keeper of the Gate
4/30/11 10:59 PM CST
Clinchknot X2 for the thoughtful, spot on reply.

D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
4/30/11 5:54 PM CST
Hey, When I take the boys no way in the world can I manage 2 with a fly rod. Plus I want them to see lots of action and the best way for them is worm dunking. I'm sure some kids started with a fly rod but it take a special kind. I give them 100 hooks and a package of sinkers,couple dozen worms and send them on their way. Always have a spool of spare line for catastrophes and the rest will take care of itself. If that make me a worm dunker so be it. Sharing a trout on the open campfire with them is priceless so I'll do as I please. They have a whole lifetime to learn fly fishing but your only a kid for a few years.

waterpig
See Profile
4/30/11 12:50 PM CST
I agree that TU does a great job with habitat improvement, as well as the fact that most who belong are biased towards flyfishing. I think the general attitude of flyfisherman is changing from the elitist attitude that was to a more acceptance attitude for all legal methods. Though in some people and some areas that change is admittedly slow. I do flyfish, if that is what you want to call me flogging the water, but i also enjoy bringing out the spinning rod at times. All the flyfisherman I know have the same crossover type attitude and wouldn't look down on anyone.

CLINCHKNOT
CLINCHKNOT
4/30/11 10:57 AM CST
Greetings:

I was once a member of Trout Unlimited when I lived in S.E. Minnesota for 8 years. While I learned a lot from the members of our chapter about the local streams in the area, I was a bit miffed how they treat trout fishermen who do not use a flyrod.

They really should call their organization something else (Fly Fishers For Trout?). I was often harassed for using "spinners" or "worms" (necessary in small narrow brushy brooktrout streams). I was called a "worm dunker" and other such titles repeatedly. I finally let my membership expire with no desire to ever renew it.

I hate to be opinionated against TU members, but many I have dealt with are purists. If you don't catch the trout on flies that you personally tied, you are basically dirt. While I would love to purchase and learn how to use a fly rod, I am happy catching stream trout on spinners, leafworms (where necessary when stream is too narrow to cast), jigs, spoons ect. I thought fishing was for the fun of it, not about the color of the hat you wear or the price of the fly rod. This post is sure to draw the ire of many fly fishermen. Sorry, no offence to you but just mentioning my ill experience with many of the TU members I ran across in 8 years of membership.

I do congratulate TU on the excellent job they do on helping restore trout streams thru the local DNR of whatever state the stream is in.

steelslr0007
See Profile
3/29/11 10:20 PM CST
A, Larson-NICE reply and I applaud you in your maintenance of integrity, self-control and , of course, your blood pressure! Handled surgically I'd say and far better than I would have "handled" the Tidewater Gentry..lol!

D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
3/29/11 10:57 AM CST
We smokem hemp line.

[This post was last edited on 3/29/11 at 11:04 AM]
Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 18
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook