SEARCH
MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Corn Beef

3/4/14 @ 12:19 PM
INITIAL POST
Gillripper
User since 6/21/01
Made some corned beef that was bought at the grocery store in the package. Followed the instruction baking it for 5 hours the temp. at the end it was 160 deg. as instructions state. Tougher than an old shoe. And ideas? Better recipe? Flavor was great but...........
Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
3/31/14 @ 9:39 PM
plumwerm
User since 3/25/10
I've tried so many corned beef recipies over the years and keep going back to "kiss". A large pot, depending on the size of the brisket you may have to cut it in half so the pieces float freely. Chunk up 2-3 large onions ( don't worry, they will turn to mush and you won't know they are in the pot) Put the corned beef and onions and spice packet ( add more pickling spice if you wish, I always add another Tablespoon) and a tablespoon of black pepper. Cover with cold water. Put the burner on high and bring to rapid boil. (Watch until it comes to a rapid boil) and then turn down to simmer (bubbles just coming up at the side of the pot) Simmer for about an hour per pound. Don't overcook it, you want to be able to slice it, not have it fall apart. If you are looking for "boiled dinner, add carrots and red potatoes the last 1/2 hour, pull the meat and add cabbage and let the meat rest. If you want corned beef and cabbage, pull the meat, add the cabbage and boil until soft. Takes a lot of time to cook. but you only need to look at it about once an hour. Oh ya, you will have to add a couple of inches of water as needed. I also add a couple of ounces of ketchup in the last 1/2 hour, it makes the broth a little sweeter. Now, I have to go buy a brisket tomorrow.
3/19/14 @ 6:08 PM
froh 64
User since 8/1/08
Smoking the brisket is another option. I switched to smoking for more flavor And I think it breaks down the fat and toughness better. I would first smoke it until it reacfoil to an internal temp of 160 to 165 then pull it out and wrap it in aluminum foil to keep the juices from escaping. Then put back in the smoker until it reached an internal temp of about 195. Then pull it out and let sit for 30 mins then serve. The reason y u let the internal temp reach that high is so the fat that makes ur meat tough would break down and makes it very tender. U will enjoy it. Low and slow for smoking temp. Start out at 225 until u have to cover it up in aluminum foil then push the temp up to 250 while it's wrapped. Enjoy
3/13/14 @ 10:30 AM
Down2erth
Down2erth
PRO MEMBER User since 6/21/01
Yes it is!
3/11/14 @ 1:36 PM
RiverGuy
PRO MEMBER User since 6/20/03
That is one DAMN good looking Reuben that Casting posted!!!!!
3/11/14 @ 12:44 PM
Down2erth
Down2erth
Like mom makes it... GLAZED CORNED BEEF 1 pkg. corned beef 1 c. dark orange marmalade 4 tbsp. prepared Dijon mustard 4 tbsp. brown sugar Place corned beef in a large pot. Cover with boiling water and simmer, partially covered, as slowly as possible for about 3 hours, or until tender when tested with a fork. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix marmalade, mustard, and sugar together in a small bowl. When meat is done, remove from pot and drain. Place meat on an ovenproof serving platter and pour marmalade mixture over it, coating thoroughly. Bake corned beef for 30 minutes or until glaze is crisp and brown. excellent!
3/11/14 @ 12:30 PM
Down2erth
Down2erth
Not as good as moms, but we have done several in a large slow cooker(crock pot)and they turn out amazing every time. We put the corned beef on edge in the center, surround it with 4- 1/4 wedges of cabbage, fill in with sweet baby carrots and red potatoes. season the whole she'bang and pour water in till approx. a 1/4 of the mixture is submersed... Cook it on low all day, say 8:00am-4-5:00pm. I will be good and fall apart tender..
3/10/14 @ 11:07 AM
lwinger
User since 2/1/10
My Irish mother made it in a pressure cooker. Corn beef, some carrots, onions, taters, and of course cabbage. Good stuff, I have fond memories of coming home from school in the 50s and smelling the corn beef cooking on St. Patty's day. Miss her cooking.
3/9/14 @ 7:42 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03
Try grilling it on the barbeque. Sounds strange maybe, but I used to do it a lot. I havent done that for a while but the only other way would be the pressure cooker. I am going to definitely try the bbq because I bought 2 pieces for St Pattys.
3/9/14 @ 2:40 PM
poptop
User since 10/1/03
try it in a pressure cooker tender and juicy every time
3/7/14 @ 4:04 PM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06
In going to make it with a couple venison bottom round roasts again this year. Once you try venison you'll never go back to beef!........
3/7/14 @ 9:49 AM
BeerTownFyreman
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
It's beef brisket. It's actually pickled/cured, so if you are looking to make it all from scratch, it takes a week or so to get it cured in the fridge. I usually just pick up one from the store... and I'm with you on trying to make everything from scratch. For me, I'm the only one in the family who likes it so it's not really worth the effort.
3/7/14 @ 9:36 AM
Gillripper
User since 6/21/01
Going to try it again this weekend, thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming if you have any more. What cut of meat is this if i don't want to buy box store meat? I'll add the pickling spice on my own
3/6/14 @ 10:33 AM
BeerTownFyreman
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
Yup. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat till it just bubbles. Casting's times are correct. And I like "flat cut" over "point cut". Grain runs better to get good slices against it. P.S. That seasoning packet is just plain old pickling spice. I like to add more. If you have an old tea ball or you could put a couple tablespoons in some cheese cloth and tie it shut. If not, just throw it in, but you may have to scrape some off the meat when you bring it out. P.P.S. I like to bring it to a boil first without adding spice, then scoop the "froth" off the top of the pot. Then, add the spices, cover and reduce heat to simmer. P.P.P.S. Throw some washed and cut red potatoes, chunks of cabbage, and some onion chunks into the pot for the last hour or so for a nice boiled dinner.
3/6/14 @ 8:08 AM
Gillripper
User since 6/21/01
I thought for sure i would have tons of help on this. I want to make another one this weekend. I cooked it submerged in water at 160 deg. for 5 hours or a little more. Tough as can be....Any ideas? Crying
Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE