MORE
Pike Fishing

Swim Baits for Pike

9/28/17 @ 4:10 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I have a couple of Sebile Magic Swimmer Soft Bait packages. 

6 and 1/4 and 7 7/8 inches. The packages come in groups 2 or 3 and include a weighted gap hook that fits the swim baits very well and allows them to have  great action. The smaller swim baits have a 7/0 hook that touts a 15 degree wider angle and the bigger bait has a 9/0 hook with the 15 degree wider angle as well.

I have lost the hooks and want to buy a replacement that works well for these swim baits. I bought a 5/0 weighted gap hook and the results on the smaller swim bait just didn't give it the action I had with the factory hooks. The company isn't willing to share info on the hook brand etc...after I contacted them about it. 

Any help appreciated on a good hook for swim baits this size. Thanks.

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
5/9/19 @ 1:06 PM
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
User since 9/26/16

When running swimbaits for Walleye or Pike do not be afraid to go big. You are better off going bigger than smaller. 5-6 inch works way better than lets say 2-4 inch. The old school thinking that walleye like small little tiny baits is completely wrong and this has been proven over and over with swimbaits. You will catch more fish on a 5-6 inch large swimbait than a smaller one. You will also catch little fish on these bigger swimbaits. They don't give a crud they just want to eat them and they do. Jigging rapalas on the ice is also the same thing. I do better with my number 9's than any other size. Its gets their attention better and looks better then the smaller presentations.

I have caught 12-14 inch walleye and bass on the 6 inch storms and they slammed them like nobodies biznazzz…..

6/22/18 @ 1:40 PM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06

Just returned from annual Canada Trip and used Kick'r minnows by P-line when the winds kicked up and whitecaps were rolling into rocky points.  Walleyes destroyed these in size up to 6"!  Used the same hooks and jigging technique described.  Was impressed how well they worker in those larger sizes.  Needed at least 1/2 oz. To get it down.  Great fun.....

6/21/18 @ 3:21 PM
sanclemente
User since 5/11/14

Sorry, I should have posted my previous text in the next topic - spinnerbaits and spoons.

6/21/18 @ 2:58 PM
sanclemente
User since 5/11/14

My buddy and I have fished for Canadian pike for years. He fishes swim baits most of the time and I fish spoons. The swim baits have out fished spoons nearly 2 to 1.

6/8/18 @ 7:40 AM
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
User since 9/26/16
Good luck Tito- remember to re-tie after every fish if you are using Flourocarbon for the leader. You can only get the Owner Ultrheads online so it sucks when you lose one. I stocked up good on 1/2 oz and 3/4 oz but I still hate it when I lose one...
6/7/18 @ 9:11 AM
Tito39
User since 7/6/04

Thanks for your help Walleye, I will give it a try this weekend!

6/7/18 @ 7:30 AM
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
User since 9/26/16

Tito- water less than 12 ft use the 1/2 oz owner ultrahead saltwater bullet head or kalins bullet jig heads.Owners are $$ but they are the best. Cast out, let it go to the bottom, when it hits bottom snap up on rod to hop the lure up off the bottom. Start retrieve. Do stop go retreives, stop every 10-15 ft or so. Just do a quick stop- gives the swimbait a little dip, then continue. If you hit weeds rip it out hard. If the bottom is super weedy and your getting hung up start your retreive right when the lure hits the water to keep it up out of the weeds.Senorita for the berkely flatback shad is the best color up north and pretty much anywhere in the midwest. Pearl blue is second, herring is third best color. Leader- I use 15lb seaguars Tatsu flourocarbon but will go up to 20-25lb regular seaguars flourocarbon leaders if the big girls start breaking off. If the pike are are really big and crazy steel will work also- they dont care about the swivel they just want to eat these swimbaits. My mainline in 40lb powerpro with a small spro barrel swivel- num 7 or 8. Abu garcia Gen 3 STX 8:0 HS baitcaster on St. Croix Avid 7ft HF- great combo BTW..

The berkley flatbacks shads are discontinued but you can still find them online. The MC 5inch swimbaits are the closest thing and the closest color to Senorita is Halloween, they have other good colors that will work that are pretty close to Pearl Blue. the storm wildeye swim shads in 4-6 inch are great also. The 6 inch is big and heavy and wont fish well that shallow. The 4 or 5inch will be great. I would throw the 5 inch- its a big enough lure where you can fish it deep up to 30 feet but small enough where you can fish it as shallow as 4 feet..

6/6/18 @ 2:37 PM
Tito39
User since 7/6/04

I want to try this tactic on a shallow weedy lake in northern Wisconsin. What size weighted hook or jig head for water less than 5 feet deep? Was also wondering what type of retrieve you use with these swimbaits? Lastly, would like to know what type of leader I should use? 

6/6/18 @ 12:46 PM
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
User since 9/26/16

Berkely flatback shad with the owner jigheads- best pike and walleye bait I have ever seen. Senorita, Pearl Blue and Herring are the best colors. Dynamite around weeds and weed edges. The storm wildeye swimbait in 4-6 inch is killer also. Pick your colors and the Pike will cram both of these swimbaits. The 5 inch MC swimbaits are a good alternative to the Berkely flatback shad also. They are a little softer material but they work awesome also. The Berkely flatback 5 inch swim shad is one of the best Pike lures ever created- absolutely awesome and a blast to fish. Amazing in N. Wisconsin and the UP- I am from Chicago area and they work awesome around here but you bring them Up North and you better bring plenty and you better have a good leader

9/29/17 @ 5:50 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Thanks for the info. I want to fish swim baits more, but seems like if you have the wrong hook/weight, the thing just doesn't move the same at all. Especially the jointed baits. 

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE