Best and Worst Pike lures

4/2/11 @ 9:50 PM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
Let's talk pike lures. What do you do well on? What do you feel is over-rated?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 70 to 79 of 101 Posts
4/8/11 @ 3:07 PM
walleye jr
walleye jr
USER since 8/6/10
ive found great success using a floating fire tiger rapala, never seems to fail me, once my friend andi were fishing in the boat and i was using a rapala he was using just about everything he had in his tackle box and out of the two days we fished i outfished him with 16 pike to 2, but also have found success in spoons

Edited on 4/8/11 3:09 PM
Post Your Comment
4/8/11 @ 10:13 AM
thatbassguy
thatbassguy
USER since 1/20/09
i have caught more pike on spoons than any other lure. i have a few daredevils that look like they've been run over by a tank! they will catch pike in almost any situation.

in shallow slop, a weedless daredevil, or johnson silver minnow are tough to beat. frogs are fun, too, but not as durable.

i also like to run them over the tops of weeds, and along weed edges, but there are times when a spinnerbait will get more action.

for deeper water, i prefer bulldawgs. you can count it down to the desired depth, and work it like a jerk-bait or a glide-bait. they can also be jigged, or even cranked in slowly. i've caught most of my larger pike on bulldawgs.

i can't say what's overrated. i think it's more a matter of what you are confident using. plus, pike will respond to different baits depending on the body of water, time of year, and even time of day.

underrated: a small bluegill on a big hook! Big Smile

Post Your Comment
4/8/11 @ 9:06 AM
bassmaster3065
bassmaster3065
USER since 3/12/11
i just go simple best lure period is the spoon

Post Your Comment
4/8/11 @ 7:44 AM
badgerstatehunter
badgerstatehunter
USER since 2/6/06
i have had best success on a floating jerk bait, like a floating rapala style bait. i'm usually too cheap to buy rapalas especially with a toothy critter like a pike, but those style baits worked in a slash style retrieve get good hits from pike, especially in the summer. my brother swears by spoons and they work but i've had alot more luck with other methods. another lure i've done good on is a white curtly tail grub swimmed. i was throwing a 3 inch white power grub for bass and was destroying the northerns(the ones that didn't bite me off) so i bought some larger 4 inch grubs and swam then and caught alot of pike. you get alot of bite offs but that is a relatively inexpensive rig.

Post Your Comment
4/7/11 @ 2:41 PM
CazTrait
CazTrait
USER since 6/15/01
Shallow Shad Raps, size 7 and 9, are probably my number one go-to baits. I have a size 5 in a shad color that has just been abused silly. I'm really surprised I have not been bit off (don't use leaders much) with the amount of fish caught on that one specific lure.

After that it's Husky Jerks size 10, 12, and 14. Tandem spinner baits, doesn't seem to matter what blades. Bomber Long A's see some action, too. Buzzbaits in shallow or through the reeds. 5" - 6" jumbo swim baits over the tops of deeper weeds. Rattling Raps make the list, too, though I primarily target bass with those it's inevitable that pike end up on the end pretty consistently.

Probably my all time favorite lure to use, though, is a Spook. Perch color is killer and the strikes that it evokes are what makes it fun to fish.

Over-rated, not really sure. Seems like you can catch them on just about anything more often than not. I don't throw spoons much anymore. Just for kicks I will throw the Helicopter lure out there...

Post Your Comment
4/7/11 @ 9:21 AM
Pike Harasser
Pike Harasser
USER since 5/23/09
I have done really well on the slop master and smaller spinnerbaits. buzzbaits are awesome for northern too. I have done decent on little cleo's, but then again that was in canada Big Smile

Post Your Comment
4/5/11 @ 9:05 PM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
that was a great hit...and it was the 2nd after a turn and chase that got her caught (and the long rod...lol)..ahhhh, good times. I recall getting wet. Glad you still have them somewhere, thanks 35. Wink

Post Your Comment
4/5/11 @ 8:41 PM
Fish Boy 35
Fish Boy 35
USER since 1/14/05
Den I don't have em on my cellular device any longer because that phone is in long lake I believe but they are Facebook so I will try an post em in a bit. As for the epic back to back trophy Pike in the slop day yah I was speechless to say the least. That beat up 43 looked like a musky on crack when it hit pretty much boat side. EPIC!!

Post Your Comment
4/5/11 @ 8:00 PM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
fishrace, good idea, but I dont have the capability to access internet on my phone, can't send or recieve pics, either. Doh! Blush

Maybe fishboy35 still has one on his phone, I know he can do such things with his hi-tech walkie talkie thing. Wondering

Edited on 4/5/11 8:01 PM
Post Your Comment
4/5/11 @ 2:26 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
Areas with thicker weeds I like to throw a chartreuse and white tandem willow blade spinnerbait (catch more numbers this way). For deeper areas with light weed growth I like to throw a J13 jointed rapala chartreuse (don't hook as many but when I do they are usually nice sized). I have never had very good luck with spoons.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 70 to 79 of 101 Posts