Best and Worst Pike lures

4/2/11 @ 10:50 PM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
Let's talk pike lures. What do you do well on? What do you feel is over-rated?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 61 to 70 of 101 Posts
6/28/11 @ 5:13 PM
FishS4All
FishS4All
USER since 2/9/11
Live perch work really well. Three perch used this year and I've landed a 25, 28, and a 33.

I lost a nice one too and a home made spinner bait because I tried to get a decent one into the boat without a net a few weeks back.

Post Your Comment
6/27/11 @ 11:17 PM
TheWalleyeWacker
TheWalleyeWacker
USER since 1/25/11
i have caught the most pike in very fished water using a small spoon. most are blue and silver. works great

Post Your Comment
6/23/11 @ 7:19 PM
Phantom81
Phantom81
USER since 8/26/10
#1 is a tie between Rapala Xrap (olive green, size 13) and Your average spinner bait (double gold willow blades and orange or white in color)

#2 another tie between jitterbug (frog colored and jointed or a Heddon baby torpedo...ive caught fish as big as 40" on both and neither is a big bait

#3 Rapala DT (gold/black) they come in a variety of depths but ive had most luck with the 4-6' and 1' depths....

#4 Inline Spinners, smallish mepps #5 and musky double blade buck tails...all work real well

#5 Live bait...large fatheads, medium suckers....inexpensive compared to muskie suckers and work real well.

Post Your Comment
6/22/11 @ 2:36 PM
hookup25
hookup25
USER since 8/26/10
Best bait: Muskie buck-tails in the summer and in fall suckers seem to work decent

Worst bait: Banjo minnow or any other television product

Post Your Comment
6/19/11 @ 9:50 PM
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
I make home-made large beatle spins with a gold blade, 1/8 oz black jighead and either a black or white curley tail. This lure has caught 100's of pike. Bass and eyes will eat them too. Because they aren't a large bait, I don't catch many over 30", but I am an action pike fishrerman. The single hook works great over cabbage, less hooking vegatation, vs a Mepps or stickbait.

My eldest son has caught quite a few pike on a ThinFin 04 color. The youngest son likes to throw a ThunderStick.

I don't think there is a worst lure. Having confidence and being able to identify good pike habitat makes just about any lure work.

My biggest problem is dealing with high pressure.

Post Your Comment
6/18/11 @ 3:08 PM
NukeDaWhales
NukeDaWhales
USER since 12/1/10
I have both lost and been a witness to many many Husky Jerks being sawed off by these critters. Seems the color is always gold for some reason as well. Besides that, pretty much anything will catch them. I've even caught them on worm and bobber.

Post Your Comment
6/17/11 @ 11:55 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
Best bait 5 - 6 inch Crappie. Worst bait, nothing, these fish will hit anything. Anyone know where I can get a 5 inch Flatfish (Lazy Ike).

Post Your Comment
4/19/11 @ 12:11 PM
meach32
meach32
USER since 4/12/10
i would say i have had the most luck throwing frogs, im primarly a bass fisherman, there has been days where i cant even get a bass to bite cuz these toothy critters attack my frog or buzzbait...my fav being the stanly ribbit, so i decedied i would spend some time targeting pike so then i tried using the larger bull ribbit, but did not have as much sucsess as the standard size frogs ..my 2 cents..

Edited on 4/19/11 12:13 PM
Post Your Comment
4/18/11 @ 9:33 AM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
USER since 8/25/08
Overrated: Just about anything you see the guys on In-fisherman using. They may work up on some famous pike lake up in Canada but generally not in Wisconsin.

Underrated: Muskie baits of any kind, just have to know when and where to fish them

Edited on 6/18/11 8:30 AM
Post Your Comment
4/9/11 @ 10:16 AM
TKfishes
TKfishes
USER since 8/23/09
Buzz baits top water stick baits are my favorite went out with two friends for q good 9-10 hours last year while camping I couldn't keep track of how many I caught on buzz baits they had stick baits only had a few follows no hits love the rare occasions I pick the rite lure and show up my buddies

Post Your Comment
Displaying 61 to 70 of 101 Posts