MORE
Pike Fishing

Best and Worst Pike lures

4/2/11 @ 10:50 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Let's talk pike lures. What do you do well on? What do you feel is over-rated?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 101 posts
6/6/18 @ 12:51 PM
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
User since 9/26/16

1.Berkely flat back shad or MC 5 inch swim bait with owner 1/2 oz jighead or 3/4 depending on deoth of water.Pick your color pike dont give a damn

2. Storm wildeye swim shad 4-6 inch, pick your color Pike dont give a rip

3. White Terminator spinnerbait gold num 5 colorado 1/2 oz beveled- awesome

3/8/18 @ 8:55 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06

The best pike baits have a single hook...Johnsons silver minnow, hollow belly swimbaits, spinnerbaits, big swim jigs, etc.

The worst pike baits have multiple treble hooks....I don't care how many fish they draw.

2/10/18 @ 10:51 PM
Dolores1012
Dolores1012
User since 1/6/18

Reach with any spinnerbait. Get the greatest that you can manage on the tackle you have. Chartreuse is a solid color, but they'll hit anything - IF you know there are some decent pike in the waters you are fishing. Just know this, if you get a pike on a spinnerbait, the odds are pretty satisfying that it's going screw up that bait big time!

Any plugs are good as well. One of my all-time favorites is the Swim Wizz. These plugs, made in a 6" size, should be manageable on spinning equipment. They are explosive pike lures.

7/12/15 @ 7:32 PM
wack
wack'em & stack'em
User since 3/13/10
Northern eat anything, best is shiners and smelt in the hard ice, spoons and blades in soft water
7/9/15 @ 1:00 PM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10
basic and cheap probably out fishes most. Pounded copper spoon. when they flutter through the water they are amazing
7/3/15 @ 4:54 AM
fisheswithU2
User since 4/29/14
Ditto on the leader! I find myself using different lures more than others every year. I always have certain staple baits like certain cranks and spinners but new lures to the market, different versions of lures I have, or lures I have used in the past but fell away from using them and then start again. My big one this year is plastics. Different jerks and straight baits I can Texas rig and use weightless have been my biggest producer. 75% of my fish have come on plastic this year which is really high. Most years it's maybe 25% for me. I think part of it is less active fish from being so cool at night. Before that we had all kinds of rain too.
7/1/15 @ 3:25 PM
JoeRye
User since 4/24/14
I focus a lot on pike fishing in rivers. I have caught a ton of pike. warmer months I go bladed...spinnerbaits or inline spinners. Inline spinners I make myself (5 to 7" long) and usually a #5 to #7 sized Colorado blade. Not a lot of options most Mepps are too small and Musky size inlines tend to be too big, so I build my own I could achieve various color patterns as some work better than others depending on the day and conditions. i tend to stick with more natural baitfish colors colder months..late fall, early winter, winter, early spring, spring I tend to use floating or suspending stick baits in the 4" to 7" range. The colder the temps the slower I work them. Sometimes chromed flashy lures work better sometimes muted whites and pearls work better. Swim baits are good for colder months also, again stick with baitfish colors.... Now go get yourself some pike and always use appropriate leader for the fishes benefit.
6/24/15 @ 9:43 PM
Maashkinoozhe
Maashkinoozhe
User since 6/18/15
The biggest floating rapala available is the bomb diggity
6/18/15 @ 10:15 PM
Willburr76
User since 6/18/15
Best Bait for me has been a cheap 1/2 oz chartruose buzz bait. And Smithwick's Devils-horse. This year i had a big strike on Whopper Plopper 190 orange and black it actually wrecked the tail section of the bait. Oh and last but not least good old The Worm 6" black with red tail. Thats my go to bait if nothing else is working.
5/28/15 @ 9:46 PM
DOMINATOR
DOMINATOR
User since 9/17/02
Work good on Muskies and walleyes too
5/28/15 @ 9:41 PM
DOMINATOR
DOMINATOR
User since 9/17/02
Buck Perry spoonplugs and wire line
Best and Worst Pike lures photo by DOMINATOR
5/21/15 @ 12:08 PM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09
I thought real hard about trying to pull a flasher fly for pike. I mean, c'mon. The flasher has to bring them in; now would they hit the twirling fly...
4/8/15 @ 6:54 PM
Badgerloader
User since 4/10/11
A little over 60 years ago, my father took me fishing on Partridge Lake. My cane pole did not provide the amusement I was craving, so I improvised. I took a large snelled hook that my father used for putting out perch under a bobber for pike. I put a piece of Apple peel on the hook and snapped a red and white bobber on the snell loop - slipped the snell loop on my finger and started splashing it over the side of our rented wood boat. After a minute or two, the snell loop was ripped from my finger. My dad put on a daredevle and snagged the rig and I had my first pike. I do not suggest Apple peel as a go-to pike bait.
4/8/15 @ 8:17 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
Big cranks. I like original floating rapalas.
4/7/15 @ 11:56 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
Usually the best seems to be anything I am throwing for bass on a given day. Wink
Displaying 1 to 15 of 101 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE