Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Deep fried Crappie

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
Level: General User
6/4/11 7:28 AM CST
I have ate crappies for years. I fillet them , rolled them in Shore Lunch and deep fry. I really think they are a soft fish. Any ideas to firm the meat up a little. I wasn't thrilled with them and might ditch the idea of keeping them. I kept them in water over night in a little saltwater in the fridge. Maybe I need to change the oil in my fryer .

Displaying Posts 16 through 30 of 32
rvrbt
See Profile
12/6/11 7:45 PM CST

try a capful or two of real lemon juice in enough water to cover the fillets,refrigerate overnite.

lip licker
lip licker
12/3/11 1:31 PM CST

try soaking in milk/water mix for a couple hours prior to cooking ..............i always freeze all my fish in water with a bit of milk mixed in!!!!!!!!!!! works for me every time.........as was said before by others i dont keep any crappies inthe summer

shadling
shadling
12/2/11 11:05 PM CST

Crappies are for sure softer then gill fillets. I always keep my fish in the livewell until I get home then always toss them on ice for and hour or 2 before filleting. I dont know about keeping fish from warm water. I only fish crappies in early April/early may then again in fall. Water temps are usually only in the 50s max then. I have always thought fish taste better from cooler water.

willfish 4food
willfish 4food
12/2/11 6:16 PM CST

Crappies have a soft flesh, and that's the way they are.  I don't think you can make them any firmer than they already aren't.  It's like comparing a pine board (crappie) to an oak board (bluegill).  Crappies are sure fun to catch, but when it comes to eating fish, the bluegills are far better. 

crapps
crapps
12/2/11 10:54 AM CST

When I fillet any fish I keep a bowl of ice cold water next to my fillet board.  A good handful of ice in the water.

I drop each fillet in the water as I cut and it really seems to help keep the flesh firm.  It also separates any scales from the flesh.  I wash them in really cold water after this and bag them in cold water.

Works for me all year except the only time I really don't keep and eat panfish in July and August. 

Hope this helps!  I think crappies and gills are righ up there with walleyes and perch if handled well.

Crapps

shadling
shadling
12/1/11 5:56 PM CST

I also always pan fry all my panfish in olive oil. I prefer this to deep frying myself. I love crappie, after bass its my 2nd favorite fish to chase. I also generally prefer to keep 10-12" fish, though I fish the WI river system and get 12"+ fish alot, while I dont usually keep them that size I have tried them and they dont taste alot different to me. But everyones pallete is different. I like gills also but I prefer crappies for eating as the fillets are usually 2-3X the size of a gill fillet so I dont need to clean as many fish. I'll take 5 slab crappies home to eat over a dozen 8" gills anyday.

CAPTAIN ARON KASTERN
See Profile
11/30/11 8:02 AM CST

What I will do with most fish is bread them and put in fridge over night or for 4 to 6 hours before cooking also cut's down on the mess at dinner time and prep time at dinner time as well. When I can I will  let sit and cool down in the fridge more or less and let the breading firm up on the fillet. Then put in to deep fryer for 3 to 4 min @ 350 I kid you not you will have the firmest eating fish you can ask for hands down. I use to do shore lunch style fish frys at a few different resorts years ago on Friday nights and did this with whitefish and people could not get enough of these tasty treats.But as said before the size of fish you keep will decide on the firmness of your dinner most times more or less. For crappie I do like the 8 to 11 inchers myself as these do seem to eat the best plus you leave the big spawners behind for the future. But this will work with all types of fish from whitefish to panfish try it the next time you have a nice fish dinner coming up and I am sure you will be happy with it as I am. Good luck out there this ice season and be safe folks.  Chequamegon

Mic2
Mic2
7/18/11 9:19 PM CST
Try this,

Get the Golden Dip Beer batter, make sure that the batter is just thick enough to where the batter just starts to drip off, like a thick syrup (not running). Make sure you have a good deep frying oil, Peanut the best, others start to burn to quickly and really ruin the oil.

Next slowly put in the deep frying, if you have a basket you need to raise the basket after about 30-45 seconds to actually pop them away from the bottom of the basket, if you do not do this they will get stuck to the bottom of the basket you definetly do not want this to happen.

deep fry for approx 3 minutes or until they start to turn golden up, we have used this now for many years,

Every year or so I go back to the Shore lunch in a pan with butter, and all the fillets just flake apart, and then I say why did I do this.

try it you might like it, its a little bit of a pain, but well worth it. Wink

cycleguy
See Profile
6/9/11 12:33 PM CST
I deep fry a lot of crappies, and find that the bigger ones tend to be less appealing than the smaller fish. After 11", maybe 12" I practice all catch and release. 9-10"ers are great. This said, as much as I love fishing them, I'll take a gill fry any day.

PimplySwede
See Profile
6/8/11 10:47 AM CST
Tuna,

For a change, try patting your filets dry with a paper towel, coat LIBERALLY with lemon pepper - place in a hot pan with 1/4 stick of butter, cover, and remove from the pan when the filets turn white and start to separate.

If you don't like (or can't stomach) spicy food, never mind.

D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
6/7/11 6:37 AM CST
Thanks for all the replies. I guess pan fry and olive oil is the trick. I always take good care of my fish, just last time i fried fish it was off just OK and not super. Maybe I had a touch of the bug or something too. We are so spoiled with fresh fish and I see some else stared a fish snob thread. Well, thanks a bunch and good eatin to ya all ! Cool

[This post was last edited on 6/7/11 at 6:39 AM]
CazTrait
See Profile
6/6/11 8:27 AM CST
I pan fry my crappies in olive oil with Andy's breading like GillsNCrappie does. I usually only keep crappies while ice fishing and never notice the softness of the meat. But I do freeze them in water and thaw in the fridge like someone else mentioned, so not sure if this helps firm the meat up or not.

deepwoodstim
deepwoodstim
6/4/11 9:15 PM CST
I freeze them in water. Thaw out slowly in fridge, might take a day or so. Drain and dry fillets, dip in egg, roll and press in panko bread crumbs and your favorite seasoning. Shallow fry ( 1/4 to 1/2 inches oil) in cast iron skillet 3 to 4 minutes per side until golden brown. set on brown paper bag or paper towels until cool enough to pick up and eat. I rarely deep fry fish and never crappie.

lightningrodman
lightningrodman
6/4/11 3:27 PM CST
if frozen pull the fillets out a couple of days prior to the fry.keep them in the fridge packed with ice cubes and rinse twice a day in the coldest water your faucet puts out,or keep a jug in the fridge.you will notice firmer fillets.the biggest mistake i have made with crappie is over cooking them.the minute your oil quiets down,pull the fish from the fryer.love em!

goh
goh
6/4/11 1:39 PM CST
Tuna, Frying crappies which have the softer flesh is akin to asking a short guy like me to reach something high up off the floor...not getting the most out of the properties the item comes with. One of the best dishes I've encountered with crappies is actually fish chowder with crappies. It is absolutely fantastic! I know it's not frying as the thread was listed as, and I also love fried fish, but fish chowder on chilly days with venison steaks, or any good steaks for that matter, are a little piece of heaven.

Displaying Posts 16 through 30 of 32
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook