Best All Around Musky Boat?

2/21/12 @ 2:18 PM
ORIGINAL POST
B Fish
B Fish
MEMBER since 6/26/10
Okay guys. What is the best style and size boat and motor for an all around musky boat? A boat for a guys who goes up to Lake of the Woods several times a year? Fishes any or most of the lakes in Wisconsin, and normally fishes with two people. Lets keep the discussion to something that the normal guy can aford, not a wish list. Deep Vee? Bass boat? What do you gut recommend?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 41 Posts
7/11/12 @ 10:20 PM
30''walters
30''walters
USER since 1/22/12
Good friend of mine has an older Ranger thats awesome for skie fishin. The front platform is gigantic, two of us can easily fish off of it. Went three off the front one time on a fishin trip and that wasn't all that bad either. Best boat I've been on so far for skies. Any boat will do the job, some are just more appropriate for the situation. Our smoker craft does the job just fine even though it's more of an eye boat.

Post Your Comment
7/10/12 @ 10:01 AM
Q-Tip
Q-Tip
USER since 2/26/02
I BOUGHT A 2002 1675 Lund exployer New in 2002 with a 90 hp with minkota bow mount & added a 4hp kicker.This boat is very stable in all conditions & have fished many Musky tournaments out of it. Great fishing platform ! If I was to change anything it would be rod storage as about 6.5' rods is all it will accept.Other than that it goes any where, launches in 1.6' of water with no problems, I fish the big waters of Lake Michigan & handles the big waves very well. But in my opinion any boat that get's you on the water & back is a good boat ! I Do LOVE MY LUND !

Post Your Comment
6/3/12 @ 10:18 AM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
My family recently got a Crestliner 1750 fish hawk sc. To me its got everything I need to musky fish. Front deck big enough to fish 2 guys if needed, back deck plenty big to cast comfortably. Floor space for my too many tackle boxes.

Only thing I would change is move front pedestal back a bit, its a bit too far forward for my liking, but not horrible.

Post Your Comment
6/1/12 @ 5:20 PM
MuskyKiller4784
MuskyKiller4784
USER since 9/13/11
I wouldn't say there isn't a best musky boat. It depends entirely on how and where you fish. I would go glass if you troll a lot, by a lot I mean more than %50 of your trips. Otherwise I'd go aluminum. One other important factor is the trailer. Roller trailers will allow access to shallow landings where you'd never launch a bunk trailered boat. If you're mainly casting I would go with a tiller. Steering consoles take up much needed space and you never know what might happen boat side. Another important tool will be your trolling motor. If you don't have a bow mount minn kota terrova than get one and don't skimp on the power. That being said there are numerous boats out there that make an excellent musky boat. My personal choice would be a Alumacraft Tournament Pro 175 or 185 with a tiller and a Minn Kota Terrova 101 lb. bow mount.

Post Your Comment
5/14/12 @ 5:07 PM
Buster1
Buster1
USER since 9/14/06
I have a '96 Tuffy Esox Mag tiller that I just love fishing out of. It sits low in the water to figure 8, can get 32mph, is super stable and enough room to keep me comfortable. I have fished many larger Wisconsin lakes including Sturgeon Bay along with taking it to Eagle a few times without any problems. You can usually find mid 90's Esox Mags in decent shape around $6,000 or less.

But if I find $30,000 somewhere, I'm looking for a nice used Ranger. Wink

Post Your Comment
5/5/12 @ 6:48 AM
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
Anything that floats, right? Define a Musky boat. The only thing I can think of that defines a musky boat may the can the rod storage handle 8-0+ rods. It's more a question if you want to fish big water or little water. I've seen plenty of people Musky fishing in a 14 ft tiller with a 15 hp engine on, even on a big lake. Whatever you buy, don't get an underengined boat. I have a nice, wide 16-6 Starcaft C Star single console w/a 60 hp. I'll fish 4 people casting no problem in it. I fish for everything, muskies down to shiners. Works for me.

Post Your Comment
5/4/12 @ 8:24 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
Wouldn't be on mine either, Rangers are too expensive. But alas, he wants other options. That Tuffy is a musky fishing machine.

Edited on 5/4/12 8:24 AM
Post Your Comment
5/3/12 @ 9:28 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
MEMBER since 6/26/01
150 tiller that would be sooooon sweet

i do have a tuffy esox mag and its a great fishing platform and i have taken it to lotw and it works fine most days if i would get a new boat and lotw was oh my list and it would be i would not be looking at that boat,

Post Your Comment
5/3/12 @ 2:59 PM
The Fishinnut
The Fishinnut
MEMBER since 8/11/10
I would have to agree with muskie nut,there really is no best it's what YOU want or like. I have a Alumicraft 185 tournament pro tiller/90 4stroke Johnson, 80lb.Ipilot,LCX111hd,HB898c si.I have so much room in there even with the wife and 2 kids,storage galore!I can put 10 walleye rod's,4 musky rod's out of sight,4 life jackets,rain gear,2 anchor's,and much more crap than 1 needs,and this is all out of sight,my only regret is I wish I could put a 150 on her Cool

Post Your Comment
5/3/12 @ 8:40 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
If you can't afford a Ranger, and are looking for a muskie boat, check out the internet for the older Tuffy boats. Tri-hull.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/classifieds/72885/Tuffy.Esox.Ltd/

Here's a nice used one for $9,000. New engine.

These kind of tri-hulls are great for casting. Don't take it on big water in a big wind (obviously) and you will be fine.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/classifieds/69021/Tuffy.Esox.Magnum.Tiller/

Here's a newer one for $17,500.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 41 Posts