Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Best All Around Musky Boat?

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

B Fish
B Fish
Level: MEMBER
2/21/12 2:17 PM CST
Okay guys.

What is the best style and size boat and motor for an all around musky boat?

A boat for a guys who goes up to Lake of the Woods several times a year?

Fishes any or most of the lakes in Wisconsin, and normally fishes with two people.

Lets keep the discussion to something that the normal guy can aford, not a wish list.

Deep Vee? Bass boat?

What do you gut recommend?

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 41
30''walters
See Profile
Level: General User
7/11/12 10:20 PM CST
Good friend of mine has an older Ranger thats awesome for skie fishin. The front platform is gigantic, two of us can easily fish off of it. Went three off the front one time on a fishin trip and that wasn't all that bad either. Best boat I've been on so far for skies. Any boat will do the job, some are just more appropriate for the situation. Our smoker craft does the job just fine even though it's more of an eye boat.

Q-Tip
Q-Tip
7/10/12 10:00 AM CST
I BOUGHT A 2002 1675 Lund exployer New in 2002 with a 90 hp with minkota bow mount & added a 4hp kicker.This boat is very stable in all conditions & have fished many Musky tournaments out of it. Great fishing platform ! If I was to change anything it would be rod storage as about 6.5' rods is all it will accept.Other than that it goes any where, launches in 1.6' of water with no problems, I fish the big waters of Lake Michigan & handles the big waves very well. But in my opinion any boat that get's you on the water & back is a good boat ! I Do LOVE MY LUND !

1cast-away
See Profile
6/3/12 10:18 AM CST
My family recently got a Crestliner 1750 fish hawk sc. To me its got everything I need to musky fish. Front deck big enough to fish 2 guys if needed, back deck plenty big to cast comfortably. Floor space for my too many tackle boxes.

Only thing I would change is move front pedestal back a bit, its a bit too far forward for my liking, but not horrible.

MuskyKiller4784
MuskyKiller4784
6/1/12 5:20 PM CST
I wouldn't say there isn't a best musky boat. It depends entirely on how and where you fish. I would go glass if you troll a lot, by a lot I mean more than %50 of your trips. Otherwise I'd go aluminum. One other important factor is the trailer. Roller trailers will allow access to shallow landings where you'd never launch a bunk trailered boat. If you're mainly casting I would go with a tiller. Steering consoles take up much needed space and you never know what might happen boat side. Another important tool will be your trolling motor. If you don't have a bow mount minn kota terrova than get one and don't skimp on the power. That being said there are numerous boats out there that make an excellent musky boat. My personal choice would be a Alumacraft Tournament Pro 175 or 185 with a tiller and a Minn Kota Terrova 101 lb. bow mount.

Buster1
Buster1
5/14/12 5:07 PM CST
I have a '96 Tuffy Esox Mag tiller that I just love fishing out of. It sits low in the water to figure 8, can get 32mph, is super stable and enough room to keep me comfortable. I have fished many larger Wisconsin lakes including Sturgeon Bay along with taking it to Eagle a few times without any problems. You can usually find mid 90's Esox Mags in decent shape around $6,000 or less.

But if I find $30,000 somewhere, I'm looking for a nice used Ranger. Wink

Timmothy A
Timmothy A
5/5/12 6:47 AM CST
Anything that floats, right? Define a Musky boat. The only thing I can think of that defines a musky boat may the can the rod storage handle 8-0+ rods. It's more a question if you want to fish big water or little water. I've seen plenty of people Musky fishing in a 14 ft tiller with a 15 hp engine on, even on a big lake. Whatever you buy, don't get an underengined boat. I have a nice, wide 16-6 Starcaft C Star single console w/a 60 hp. I'll fish 4 people casting no problem in it. I fish for everything, muskies down to shiners. Works for me.

vegas492
See Profile
5/4/12 8:23 AM CST
Wouldn't be on mine either, Rangers are too expensive. But alas, he wants other options. That Tuffy is a musky fishing machine.

[This post was last edited on 5/4/12 at 8:24 AM]
muskie nut
muskie nut
5/3/12 9:27 PM CST
150 tiller that would be sooooon sweet

i do have a tuffy esox mag and its a great fishing platform and i have taken it to lotw and it works fine most days if i would get a new boat and lotw was oh my list and it would be i would not be looking at that boat,

The Fishinnut
See Profile
5/3/12 2:59 PM CST
I would have to agree with muskie nut,there really is no best it's what YOU want or like. I have a Alumicraft 185 tournament pro tiller/90 4stroke Johnson, 80lb.Ipilot,LCX111hd,HB898c si.I have so much room in there even with the wife and 2 kids,storage galore!I can put 10 walleye rod's,4 musky rod's out of sight,4 life jackets,rain gear,2 anchor's,and much more crap than 1 needs,and this is all out of sight,my only regret is I wish I could put a 150 on her Cool

vegas492
See Profile
5/3/12 8:39 AM CST
If you can't afford a Ranger, and are looking for a muskie boat, check out the internet for the older Tuffy boats. Tri-hull.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/classifieds/72885/Tuffy.Esox.Ltd/

Here's a nice used one for $9,000. New engine.

These kind of tri-hulls are great for casting. Don't take it on big water in a big wind (obviously) and you will be fine.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/classifieds/69021/Tuffy.Esox.Magnum.Tiller/

Here's a newer one for $17,500.

muskie nut
muskie nut
5/3/12 8:03 AM CST
The Lund should work, I fish from a Lund with a 150 on it. The only way it would not is it would not allow fishing in small lakes or rivers with a very shallow landings. Another words it more for medium and larger bodies of water. I have a buddy with a Alumcraft w/115and he wants to go to a vee with a 50 tiller to get into some smaller lakes.

Your question is one of my pet peeves. The term "best" as there is no such thing. If there was then all the other boat companies would be out of business. What you do it get the best one for what kind of fishing you do. And that even varies, with lakes and methods, etc., too many variables that folks on this board could know about you to say this is your "best". Normally I see a question like this and I stay away from it.

B Fish
B Fish
5/3/12 4:18 AM CST
I am still looking for more opinions and specific options?

Bass boats which are low and don't catch the wind? Or Deep Vee that can go anywhere?

Let's keep the 20 foot glass boats with 225hp out as I can't aford them.

I think I am down to the Lund 1725 SS with a 115 hp, what do you guys think?

SFC S
See Profile
4/23/12 9:14 AM CST
I think it's kind of like asking what the best deer rifle is....

As long as it gets you out there, theres alot more things to worry about to improve succcess than what's under your feet.

adubs
See Profile
4/19/12 8:42 PM CST
I've only owned one boat and I just bought it last year, a triton tr-21. I fished out of my dads 16' sylvan as a kid and had a blast doing it but fishing in the "gutter" as we called it then wasn't much fun and when a big roller wave came it about threw ya out of the boat. I love the triton because it's 9' across the back and handles waves from the sides no problem even though it obviously sits a lot lower than a lund or regular fishing boat. That really comes in handy for a good figure 8 sitting down so close to the water!! White cap waves with a deep V in my experience will cut through the waves and/or crash into them, the triton just rides across the top of 'em...It has an absolute ton of storage and enough deck space for four adults to musky fish comfortably! It never hurts to know that even when your on the big chip, no spot takes too long to get to either with a 225 v max on the back ;-) I got an absolute great deal on it from a guy in southern IL, and love it! However if I had a blank check to write for any boat I'd own a ranger 621 for the trips to LOTW! Same year boat would cost me about $8000-$10000 more than what I paid for my triton so the ranger will have to be my second boat!

In the end as long as it gets you on the lake and keeps you dry, thats all that matters!

Adubs

Dairyland1
Dairyland1
4/16/12 2:25 AM CST
Hi all,

My best all around musky boat would be anything that floats. Everything else after that is just personal choice.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 41
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook