Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

What do I need to start musky fishing?

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

JeffJeffery
JeffJeffery
Level: General User
5/26/12 10:13 AM CST
Every year I go to northern Wisconsin to go fishing for a week. I usually go bass fishing. However, I would like to try musky fishing this year. Is it worth it try it for a week. That is all the fishing I usually do all year each year. I have the supplies to go bass fishing but I don't know how much of that will transfer over. I have just lower end stuff, nothing fancy. I will be going mid June. I have 10 pound test line, with average size lures and spinners. Also a normal size net, padded gloves for removing hooks, needle nose pliers, rod and a spinning reel (not sure if that is the right name for it just googled it quick). What can I keep and what should I get new. Also where are some good sites or places to get cheap supplies. Don't have a lot of cash, am a college student. Just thought if I could would try musky fishing if you guys think it is worth trying for a week. Not that I wont be going next year but only go about a week a year. Also where do you fish for muskie in mid June in northern Wisconsin. I'm use to fishing along the shore in weeds and along logs or fallen trees. Where do muskie hang out this time of year. I usually see people fishing with big lures farther into the lake or in the middle of the lake, is this where you are suppose to be? Thanks so much for any input.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 33
vegas492
See Profile
6/5/12 8:52 AM CST
Patients? Why? Is he becoming a Doctor? Chiropractor? Dentist?

[This post was last edited on 6/5/12 at 8:53 AM]
Plumb D
See Profile
6/4/12 9:38 PM CST
PATIENTS!

vegas492
See Profile
6/4/12 8:57 AM CST
Lived on Labelle for three years. Then I met my wife and we needed a larger house, so I/we moved to Pewaukee.

There is a population of muskies in that lake, but they are quite difficult to catch. Tons of food out there and tons of deep water to hide in.

[This post was last edited on 6/4/12 at 9:07 AM]
browning3
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
6/1/12 4:11 PM CST
Vegas,

Have you fished Lac La Belle? I work in Oconomowoc and our previous office was right on La Belle next to the park. Actually in the buildings they are tearing down.

So I fished it alot. Mostly for walleyes. I saw more tanker size Musky in there than anywhere I have ever fished. I also saw very few people ever fishing for them. Just curious if that lake is on your radar.

vegas492
See Profile
6/1/12 1:24 PM CST
In my experience there is not much that is "simple" when trying to tie 100-150 lb flouro. The best piece of advice I can give you is to use a vice to help hold everything and wet the flouro with water to help the draws.

browning3
See Profile
6/1/12 11:43 AM CST
So NO on the crimps....thanks. I watched a youtube video where the guy uses a surgeon knot to tie them. Looks fairly simple to do.

vegas492
See Profile
6/1/12 11:30 AM CST
I do not like crimps on my flourocarbon. The crimp can rub against the flouro and weaken it. So if I can help it, I buy the leaders that are tied.

And you can tie them up yourself, but it takes a special kind of knot. If you can get a good knot on 100-150 pound flouro, then I think you are better off making your own leaders.

vegas492
See Profile
6/1/12 11:28 AM CST
I wouldn't change anything either KenK!

Here's an amusing story from last year. My buddy and I were out on Oconomowoc Lake. We pitched Mag Dawgs and DC 10's for about five hours. No action at all, besides a surprise bass.

We pull up to a guy who is bass fishing. He calls us over and shows us a 51 inch musky that he caught a night earlier on a hook and leech.

Jab number one.

About fifteen minutes later, we cruise by a husband and wife who are bluegill fishing. We ask how they are doing and they say it is slow and a muskie at one of their few gills that was on their line earlier in the day.

Jab number two.

After about 6 hours of throwing the big stuff, we headed in. Dejected. All that work for nothing when a bass fisherman and a gill fisherman both had recent muskie experiences.

That is what you get when musky fishing.

browning3
See Profile
6/1/12 11:18 AM CST
One more question about leaders. I plan on using Flourocarbon leaders. Am I better off tying them up myself? I seen a few videos on tying them up. What about using crimps? I seen some guys just use crimps instead of knots.

browning3
See Profile
6/1/12 11:15 AM CST
I think I've evolved to have a bit different attitude when it comes to fishing. In the past, I was all about the trophy fish. I've caught trophies in nearly every species. 10+ pound walleyes, 6+ pound bass, 45" pike, 16" crappies, 11" gills yada...yada...yada.

Now, all I want to do is get into a nice mess of panfish. Don't get me wrong it's fun catching big fish but it's not why I fish any longer. I'm not an old fogey either...35yrs old.

I've had ski's in the 50" range up next to the boat numerous times. It's cool! But I don't flip out over it.

My main passion is knocking down big bucks with my bow. I don't think anything will ever compete with that.

But I thank all of you for great info to help me get geared up. I plan on hitting the store this weekend.

KenK
See Profile
6/1/12 8:46 AM CST
What vegas said, I have 15 musky reels, 20 musky rods, 300 - 400 lures, 5 boats, the cabin on a musky lake, countless books and magazines, and the list goes on. Would I change anything? Heck no!! Cool

vegas492
See Profile
6/1/12 8:37 AM CST
Browning, you are in for a world of hurt not financially, but mentally.

Once you catch a muskie or two, inevitably you will see a super tanker in the water. Soon it will get into your blood to where that is the only fish you want to go for.

And then you have the days on the water when you just can't get the hooks to stick, or even worse, the days when everything is perfect but the fish just won't cooperate.

It is a maddening hobby to have. And expensive once it gets into your blood.

When I was young, I guided a fellow on his first musky trip. Had to teach him to cast off of the resort dock where he was staying. He landed a 35 incher in the first half hour and he lost a mid 40's about 4 hours later. Of course, he got to see a super tanker in the water towards the end of the trip. The next year he came back, he booked me to now fish out of his new musky boat ($30,000+). The year after that he had me drive up to a different lake where he had just purchased a cabin, and guide him out of his boat on his new lake.

It is crazy what the musky bug can do to you.

theimer
See Profile
5/31/12 5:27 PM CST
Bassically you need heavier gear for musky fishing because muskies can be over played easily and will die a little bit after you release them. Plus your heavy lures will weaken the line. One pole and bait caster reel with 80lb braided line and leader. A double ten buck tail, a bull dog, and a deep diver crank bait would get you started. You would need a jaw spreaders also.

BugleTrout
BugleTrout
5/31/12 3:52 PM CST
Reading through this thread, you can distinctly tell who the guys are that hit the water religiously and do the 10,000 casts regularly. For these guys, spending $1000s of dollars on gear is justified. The expensive reels and rods will no doubt stand up to the abuse of the heavy baits, big fish and repeated casts.

Then there are guys like me that only get out a handful of weekends each year. It appears that the OP is thinking about doing it one week. For us, the less expensive options that I listed will do just fine.

I guess one could argue that a lost fish of a lifetime justifies the expense, even for a hack like me. My counter argument is that if you're someone who only plans to fish a couple of weekends per year and are worried about losing the fish of a lifetime using a $100-$150 set up, why don't you just fish with a good guide for the few times you get out. Five thousand dollars will keep you in a guide's boat a few times a summer for many years.

To each their own.

browning3
See Profile
5/31/12 2:17 PM CST
"I would say that you are welcome, but you are in for a world of hurt."

"I'm still humbled, usually on a weekly basis, when the trip just doesn't go well."

Well then the difference will be you having spent $5000 in gear while I only spent $200. Speechless

Not sure who's world is hurting more at that point. Wink

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 33
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Frabill Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook