Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Eskimo Quickflip 3

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Kuney29
See Profile
Level: General User
1/26/12 9:53 PM CST
I have an older Eskimo quickflip 3 shack that I love other than the fact that it pulls like it weighs 2 ton when there is any snow on the ice. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to make it pull a little easier? Thanks in advance for any help!!!

CazTrait
See Profile
1/27/12 2:15 PM CST
Deer drag harness and longer rope should help. I actually just got the Clam harness for xmas this year, love it, no more sore shoulders.

Also, here's a ton of info/ideas on making a "smitty" sled to get your plow... er, shack off the ice and above the snow. Might be worth a look.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0

vanwyman
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
1/27/12 8:12 AM CST
Yea have a two man. Agree long rope with deer drag harness and I raised mine up on skis a couple inches but not so far the skirt doesnt come completly off the ice/snow. Made it alot easier to drag, and I am no young pup. Dreaming of an atv someday Montana Rick Smile

ozob
See Profile
1/27/12 8:05 AM CST
Do everything mentioned. I have been using a deer drag harness for years. Another LLer turned me on to using XCountry ski poles. (you would be amazed at how well those work) I also use a second sled to distribute weight out over more surface area. When the snow is real bad, I have an old metal runner sled I put under my Otter. The only thing I have not popped for yet are snowshoes.

SOFT&HARD H2O
See Profile
1/27/12 7:23 AM CST
I bought a 25 foot rope. This is a thick rope, like a lead for horses. I ran the rope through the line from my shack and then tied both ends of the rope together. When I pull the shack out, I put the rope at waist level. If the rope is on my chest or over 1 shoulder, I get a lower back strain, and that makes for a miserible day... And on the other hand, I have a long rope just incase someone is in trouble.

radioman
See Profile
1/27/12 1:27 AM CST
Kuney29,

My guys and I are pulling the same shanty and the QuickFlip 2's, when the ice is to thin for our atv's or utv's early and late in the year. Here's what we do to make life a lot easier. The ole saying work smarter, not harder truly does apply. Especially since none of my crew and I are as young or in as good of shape as we once were.

Get yourself a deer drag set-up and attach it to the pulling rope on the sled and put the strap across your chest and mush. It's relatively easy to manually pull the shanty with your whole body, instead of just with the arms. If you don't already have a drag, you can pick one up, for not a lot of money and make your life and ice fishing experience easier to enjoy.

Take care and tight lines.

vivasparks
See Profile
1/26/12 10:08 PM CST
snowmobile or 4 wheeler nuff said lol.....have the same problem as i am not getting any younger,but if you check the homemade gear forum theres a nice setup made from old ski's that gets that shelter up out of the snow, i made one from 2x12's and it works its on homemade fishing stuff page 7 by jbird68.

[This post was last edited on 1/26/12 at 10:16 PM]
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link.com find us on facebook