Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Please help with gas leak from my auger.

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

bigdogg2002
bigdogg2002
Level: General User
1/24/12 9:31 PM CST
My Grandpa had recently given me his old auger. I have put a new spark plug in there and fresh gas and got it running. But now I am noticing that sometimes it leaks, but not all the time which I think it kind of weird. Twice now I have came downstairs to the smell of gas and looked at it and noticed gas on the floor, but after wiping the gas off I was unable to find the leak and it somehow stopped leaking. Anyone got any suggestions? It is a StrikeMaster Magnum iii 49 cc.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 19
jchunter76
jchunter76
1/26/12 9:47 PM CST
Stop in at your local small engine shops and tell them the numbers you posted on here. They should be able to help you out. Don't be afraid to ask them a few questions. I picked up a carb kit from the local shop by me and he was cheaper than I could get it online and have it shipped.

Roobob
Roobob
1/26/12 9:33 PM CST
If it runs now keep using it until spring. Run some Seafoam in it and work on it when the ice is thin. You might have to bring it to someone adjust it later, but you will learn. And all engines basically work yhe same. Boats, sleds,saws and mowers. Get you hands dirty. I am a tradesman and have learned alot about houses and buildings. My buddies are mechanics and have showed me tons of stuff. Ask questions you would be surprised how people will help you. Good luck

Silvia180sxboy
Silvia180sxboy
1/26/12 6:56 PM CST
TC300 means it's a 3hp tecumseh. Just get a carb kit that's for a TC300 and you should be set to go, they usually go for around $15+shipping. The carb kit should come with everything needed to redo your carb. I redid the carb on a TC200 before, it's not too hard. I bought the kit at a local True Value for around $13. After you replace everything, it would be a good idea to adjust the jets if there are any. On the TC200, there were two jets.

bigdogg2002
bigdogg2002
1/26/12 4:17 PM CST
I tried looking up carb kits and there is so many out there and I am unsure of which one to get. I see i can order then direct from strikemaster, but it is 20 bucks plus about 10 bucks to ship and it might be the same kit as some of the 7 dollar kits. On my auger it says TC300 3106 1294G. I am not sure if I need to match up those number or if I need to be looking at the carb itself to match up those numbers?? If anyone knows forsure which one that I should order that would be great, or try to point me in the right direction. The faster I can try to get this fixed, the quicker I can get back on the ice. I recently purchased a house with my girlfriend and I am trying to get skilled in fixing things and learning more about how things work, but maybe I am over my head and should have just took it to a small engine shop.

bigdogg2002
bigdogg2002
1/26/12 3:23 PM CST
OK i have it tore apart, and in doing so I ruined on of the gaskets. So I need to order one of those carb kits, where is the best place to order from?? Do I do it directly from strikemaster or tecumseh?? I never did see anything wrong with the carb, but I am not sure that even if there would have been something wrong that I would have known. I proly should have just brought it to a small engine shop and had them fix it. I think when I put it back together that I will put some kind of shut off valve on the gas line itself incase I didnt fix the leak.

cds
See Profile
1/26/12 7:56 AM CST
Here's another reason not to store it in the basement - once it's running and being used,going from cold to warm to cold again causes condensation in the tank. Water in the gas.

I was recently given an older auger that hadn't been used in years. I replaced both the cap gasket and the fuel line before I put the first drop of gasoline into the tank. Both looked OK,neither looked pristine. Both are common sources of leaks....

Then yesterday I took out my 2 year old Eskimo and it wouldn't run. It ran fine a month ago.... Fuel line rotted off at the tank gasket. Next time I buy that size line,I'm buyin' 3 dam feet! ...and I'm not even a regular wrencher on small engines. Well,maybe I am but I'm not a gearhead: Had'a have help last Saturday figuring out the reason for no spark on a snowblower. Bad coil.

bigdogg2002
bigdogg2002
1/25/12 7:14 PM CST
Thanks for the tip about gas in the basement, sounds like something that would be common knowledge but I guess I never really thought about it. sounds like something your dad should have told you a long time ago! Just about ready to go take the gas tank off and look at the hose where is connects to the carburetor, I found gas dripping off on of the adjustment screw, below the carburetor.

Cannedheat
Cannedheat
1/25/12 3:54 PM CST
Take it in to a small engine shop....cost you $20 tops, unless the place gouges you, or you have a bigger issue. Older ones tend to have old hoses and your hose clamps may have worn thru and/or the hoses may have dry rotted.

Take it in for a tune-up and you'll be set for the next 5 years.

WinkleWinner
See Profile
1/25/12 3:24 PM CST
Not only make sure that the valve on the gas cap is closed but with it sitting for as long as you said I wouldn't be surprised if the rubber o-ring on the valve is rotted and cracked. If so, it will leak even with the valve closed.

Roobob
Roobob
1/25/12 1:19 PM CST
Check and replace your fuel line. On the fuel cap is a vent. close the vent when your not using it, open when running it. Store the auger in an upright position. Like you would while drilling holes. sharpen and COVER the auger blades. I have seen people make a bracket and attach it to the wall.

DO NOT STORE ANYTHING WITH GAS IN THE HOUSE. Your furnace or hot water tank could ignite the gas fumes.

Also try a product called SEAFOAM. It is in a white metal can and available at menards,fleet farm and most auto parts stores.

Good luck and tell us how you do.

esoxtomtom
esoxtomtom
Level: MEMBER
1/25/12 10:16 AM CST
Hope you are not storing your auger in the basement you said down stairs do not store anything with gas in it (in the basement very dangerous)

esoxtomtom
esoxtomtom
Level: MEMBER
1/25/12 10:16 AM CST
Hope you are not storing your auger in the basement you said down stairs do not store anything with gas in it (in the basement very dangerous)

Gone 4 Now
Gone 4 Now
1/25/12 8:42 AM CST
On that model the gas line and fuel filter work together to seal at the bottom of the fuel tank where the gas line comes out, it is very common for it to leak there after a few years, you will need a new fuel filter and a new fuel line. Any shop that works on augers should have these parts

spair26
See Profile
1/25/12 8:30 AM CST
do you store your auger with the gas cap facing up? my strikemaster will leak from the gas cap if its not facing up. learned that the hard way. leaked gas all over the back of the van.

vivasparks
See Profile
1/25/12 7:34 AM CST
fill the fuel tank and add a few drops of food coloring to the gas, not too much just enough to change the color, run the auger for a minute just to get fuel in the bowl and pump shut it down and lay the auger down in several positions for about 10 minutes each and then look for the leak, it will be easier to see with the gas dyed a different color and the food coloring won't hurt your machine.

[This post was last edited on 1/25/12 at 7:37 AM]
Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 19
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply IceForce AquaVu Uncle Josh Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook