Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

What is the fine for a vehicle through the ice?

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

dudedude
See Profile
Level: General User
2/18/11 9:14 PM CST
Does anyone know what the fine is for a vehicle that goes through the ice

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 17
Desparado
See Profile
2/27/11 11:10 AM CST
When on the ice . . . GO *** A M P H I B I O U S *** It's the best insurance for keeping your land vehicle out of the the drink

[This post was last edited on 2/27/11 at 11:11 AM]
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
2/24/11 7:08 PM CST
truck went through on lake wausau tuesday

Ice'n Tibs
Ice'n Tibs
2/24/11 6:20 PM CST
I thought I heard a news story somewhere that stated the average cost to recover a vehicle is somewhere around $3000. Something tells me that's probably low. Wondering

WinnebagoViking
WinnebagoViking
2/24/11 2:16 PM CST
This can't be cheap.

stoeger
See Profile
2/20/11 3:06 PM CST
They did it on dirty jobs. Check on hulu and see if the episode is on there. Pretty neat to see.

Chopper1340cc
Chopper1340cc
2/20/11 8:49 AM CST
Not sure about fines .. but wow .. is that how all cars come out of the ice ?/ ..

thats the jeep from big muskego..

12packabs
See Profile
2/20/11 7:55 AM CST
Da Jiggy,

Every situation is different, but a recovery crew would probably try to find the safest ice close to the sunk vehicle with clear access to shore, set up their winches/hoists at this point and cut a large hole to bring the vehicle out.

Divers would dive under the ice and attach a trailer hitch bar on the winch-line to the vehicle to be removed.

Once the vehicle is attached securely by the trailer hitch (which is strong enough to lift a vehicle), they winch it to to the hole near safe ice, up and out.

They can pull a vehicle a long way along the bottom to get to safe ice using this method...

[This post was last edited on 2/20/11 at 7:57 AM]
FDL Mike
FDL Mike
2/20/11 6:06 AM CST
At one of the sites yesterday , where we were getting a vehicle out of Winnabago , a warden showed a written DNR regulation to the vehicle owner that said the vehicle must be removed within 30 days , fines can result after 30 days .

centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
2/20/11 4:58 AM CST
my buddy dumped his atv through dnr said he had 48 hours before they started fineing him

da_jiggy
See Profile
2/19/11 10:43 PM CST
This seems like a good thread to ask this. So I was fishing Sturgeon Bay today and saw a Truck drop his back end through. Didn't stay to see if they were finally able to pull it out, but if it had gone through, it would have been in 40'+ water and it gets much deeper than that. How do you go about getting a vehicle out of water that deep especially if is is crappy ice and late season. Do you have to wait till ice out and have a big boat with a crane arm or can they do it from the ice somehow? How does it work?

RiverGuy
See Profile
2/19/11 12:22 AM CST
That guy Tim put a Dodge Ram thru Redstone earlier this year and said no fines IF he was making every effort to get it out. All went well for him with insurance and all and he picked up a 2011 Ram last week.

shadling
shadling
2/18/11 11:55 PM CST
Never had the pleaure of putting one through. But I have a buddy who has done dive recoveries on several vehicles in the past. He loved doing them because on the average a team of 2-3 divers, he said each guy received about $900-1200 apiece(depending on the recovery of course), and this was about 10 years ago, imagine it might be more now. Dont know what people's insurance and what not costs but probably a good idea to know that before you drive on anywhere.

A5¢
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
2/18/11 11:15 PM CST
I dunked my atv in the Petenwell atv wash a few years back. The DNR fine would have started 30 days after the bubbles stopped. You can get an extension, but you best have a good reason for not getting it out. If you do send a vehicle to the bottom, notify that counties sheriff's department. If you do not, and someone reports it, they will send out a Search and Rescue Unit and you get the bill for it. My insurance covered 100% of the repairs and there was a $100 deductable for recovery of the atv and the cost of the diver. Not all insurance companies are the same. This was one of those deals where I found out how good mine was... in a pleasant way. P.S. The cost per year back then was $35 per year.

crappieguy
See Profile
2/18/11 9:17 PM CST
I don't think there is any fine for it going through. I believe the DNR will start to fine you per day after so many days of not getting it out.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 17
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook