Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

The best Walleye rig for tip-up fishing.

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

xxxtrimmerxxx
See Profile
Level: General User
12/24/09 11:24 PM CST
I've heard many fisherman argue about what to use when targeting walleye. Does it make a difference? Minnow on some kind of a jig? Do I use a leader? What about red hooks? Weight? How far from the bottom?

RLPRATT
RLPRATT
8/13/14 2:10 PM CST
I used to ice fish with my uncle when I was a kid, many years ago, and I am planning an ice fishing trip with my son in January 2015. We will be fishing for pan fish with jig poles and Walleyes with tip ups.

I am re-rigging a couple old Beaverdam tip ups and a couple new ones. I have been advised to use 25-30LB line with a 3' 8-10LB fluorocarbon leader. I need to buy new line but I don't know how much. How much braided 25-30LB line should I use per tip up?

Any advise pertaining to tip ups or even jig recommendations or techniques will be appreciated. Like I said, I have been away from it a very long time. Thanks!

RLPRATT

unclesmallie
See Profile
12/25/09 7:35 PM CST
I use a 6lb. fluorocarbon leader and a small treble with either 2 fatheads or one fat head and a crappie.strip. But that's just me,I could be wrong.

wet-net
See Profile
12/25/09 7:20 PM CST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1hEC-ZP160

LotusNMo
See Profile
12/25/09 2:07 PM CST
yea lightss or seein the flag right away is the biggest part in it. small hooks are good, 3 feet of 12- 20 lb flouiro is perfect. ive been using 25 latly and ive been getn the 22-27 iners, so i definetly feel a litlt less scared with 25lb when ur fightn a huge fish under the holee for 3 mins. good luck to all.

kwestlund
kwestlund
12/25/09 12:09 PM CST
Good topic here. I'll be trying to catch some eyes this winter myself. Right now I'm using 80lb flouro leaders only cause thats what I had left over from the open water season. Wondering if thats takes away from its "invisible" properties. If it does what pound test should I pick up next time I'm at the bait store.

peace k

dragonflag
dragonflag
12/25/09 12:09 PM CST
I also prefer a single hook. the brand is not as important as the sharpness. 8 - 12 lb mono with a swivel about 16 inches up from the hook. When using shiners / goldies I hook them upside down through the vent. that way the minnow is always moving, as opposed to hanging upside down.

Zmaniac
Zmaniac
12/25/09 12:06 PM CST
I have used different methods depending on certain situations, but I always start with a set-up of 6# mono leader, #8 or #10 treble hook and either Golden Roach or Sucker minnow depending on the location of the lake and forage fish available. Sometimes I use a leadhead jig or small spinner as an attractant. These methods are used with the plank style tip-up. If I'm fishing a Wind Tip-up I usually always use some method of attractant giving the fact that there is a jigging action provided with the tip-up. These methods have always been very successful for me, but don't be afraid to experiment with different combos as sometimes little things make a big difference. Good Luck

Walleye Fisher03
See Profile
12/25/09 11:51 AM CST
I use a monofilament leader about 2 feet long, with a single hook on the end. Sometimes colored like chartreuse or red, but most of the time nickel or plain. I find myself missing more 'eyes, but I usually get more flags than my buddies using treble hooks. So I think it out ways missing a few.

mathewslefty
mathewslefty
12/24/09 11:49 PM CST
This is a great question, as I've always wondered myself. I find that using a smaller treble hook and a 5' section of power pro works great for me. I've heard from alot of guys not to use steel leaders. I also like to use goldens hooked thru the back or sometimes in the tail if it's real slow

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook