The best Walleye rig for tip-up fishing.

12/24/09 @ 11:24 PM
ORIGINAL POST
xxxtrimmerxxx
xxxtrimmerxxx
USER since 1/9/05
I've heard many fisherman argue about what to use when targeting walleye. Does it make a difference? Minnow on some kind of a jig? Do I use a leader? What about red hooks? Weight? How far from the bottom?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 Posts
8/13/14 @ 2:10 PM
RLPRATT
RLPRATT
USER since 7/19/14
I used to ice fish with my uncle when I was a kid, many years ago, and I am planning an ice fishing trip with my son in January 2015. We will be fishing for pan fish with jig poles and Walleyes with tip ups.

I am re-rigging a couple old Beaverdam tip ups and a couple new ones. I have been advised to use 25-30LB line with a 3' 8-10LB fluorocarbon leader. I need to buy new line but I don't know how much. How much braided 25-30LB line should I use per tip up?

Any advise pertaining to tip ups or even jig recommendations or techniques will be appreciated. Like I said, I have been away from it a very long time. Thanks!

RLPRATT

Post Your Comment
12/25/09 @ 7:36 PM
unclesmallie
unclesmallie
USER since 8/26/01
I use a 6lb. fluorocarbon leader and a small treble with either 2 fatheads or one fat head and a crappie.strip. But that's just me,I could be wrong.

Post Your Comment
12/25/09 @ 7:21 PM
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1hEC-ZP160

Post Your Comment
12/25/09 @ 2:08 PM
LotusNMo
LotusNMo
USER since 9/21/08
yea lightss or seein the flag right away is the biggest part in it. small hooks are good, 3 feet of 12- 20 lb flouiro is perfect. ive been using 25 latly and ive been getn the 22-27 iners, so i definetly feel a litlt less scared with 25lb when ur fightn a huge fish under the holee for 3 mins. good luck to all.

Post Your Comment
12/25/09 @ 12:10 PM
dragonflag
dragonflag
MEMBER since 11/27/08
I also prefer a single hook. the brand is not as important as the sharpness. 8 - 12 lb mono with a swivel about 16 inches up from the hook. When using shiners / goldies I hook them upside down through the vent. that way the minnow is always moving, as opposed to hanging upside down.

Post Your Comment
12/25/09 @ 12:10 PM
kwestlund
kwestlund
USER since 12/15/09
Good topic here. I'll be trying to catch some eyes this winter myself. Right now I'm using 80lb flouro leaders only cause thats what I had left over from the open water season. Wondering if thats takes away from its "invisible" properties. If it does what pound test should I pick up next time I'm at the bait store.

peace k

Post Your Comment
12/25/09 @ 12:06 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
USER since 2/8/06
I have used different methods depending on certain situations, but I always start with a set-up of 6# mono leader, #8 or #10 treble hook and either Golden Roach or Sucker minnow depending on the location of the lake and forage fish available. Sometimes I use a leadhead jig or small spinner as an attractant. These methods are used with the plank style tip-up. If I'm fishing a Wind Tip-up I usually always use some method of attractant giving the fact that there is a jigging action provided with the tip-up. These methods have always been very successful for me, but don't be afraid to experiment with different combos as sometimes little things make a big difference. Good Luck

Post Your Comment
12/25/09 @ 11:51 AM
Walleye Fisher03
Walleye Fisher03
USER since 4/22/03
I use a monofilament leader about 2 feet long, with a single hook on the end. Sometimes colored like chartreuse or red, but most of the time nickel or plain. I find myself missing more 'eyes, but I usually get more flags than my buddies using treble hooks. So I think it out ways missing a few.

Post Your Comment
12/24/09 @ 11:49 PM
mathewslefty
mathewslefty
USER since 10/7/09
This is a great question, as I've always wondered myself. I find that using a smaller treble hook and a 5' section of power pro works great for me. I've heard from alot of guys not to use steel leaders. I also like to use goldens hooked thru the back or sometimes in the tail if it's real slow

Post Your Comment