Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

home made tip downs

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

fishon36
fishon36
Level: General User
2/16/09 9:11 PM CST
Hello all--- I hope your ice fishing year is going well.... I had a question on the best design for the tipdowns. I've seen them made of wood and pvc. Does anyone have a good design that I could use to make a couple? I have never used them, but I have seen them used and they seem to do well on crappies and other panfish. I usually put out a couple of tipups, but the places that I've been going have been alittle slow for pike and walleyes. You can pm me if you would like-- any help would be appreciated! Thanks and happy fishing- Wink

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 144
NoFishInThisLake
NoFishInThisLake
10/6/14 8:16 AM CST
this is my newest creation, since you have to hand line the fish anyway with a tip down why not bypass the need for the pole.Also flag will make the light bites easier to see.

Cfilbert
Cfilbert
7/16/14 10:37 AM CST
Trying something different in the fish house this year. I installed pegboard halfway up in my shanty and will utilize the 10 inch hooks. All i need is some velcro and an old keyring to make my tipdowns. Also on the pegboard will be the rattle reels that are attached to the hooks to enable them to be moved from hole to hole. I will post pictures when i get the upgrade complete

crappieguy
See Profile
1/25/14 1:17 PM CST
The only type of reel that might work wold be one of the mini bait casters that they use for open water crappie. The balance and smooth tipping action is just not possible with a spinning or inline reel.

There is now worry about a Pike pulling your pole down the hole if you use a safety line like we do. It's a 5ft piece of very small diameter cord, very strong like paracord. We put a snap lock on the end and put an eye screw in the butt end of the rod handle and another screw eye in the frame. One end of the cord is tied to the eye in the frame and the other end is tied to the snap lock, then just put the snap lock onto the eye in the butt of the pole.

I have had Northerns pull the pole down the hole and had to retrieve it with the cord. Last weekend I caught a 41" Northern on a Tip Down.

AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
Level: MEMBER
1/25/14 12:01 PM CST
Why do you jig with them?

GunManOsh
GunManOsh
1/25/14 11:11 AM CST
I don't really see the point. And they are too expensive to risk having a pike pull it down the hole for me.

But I do jig with a pair of them. Big Smile

1/25/14 7:16 AM CST
Has anyone tried using one of those new in-line reels on a tip down pole? Your thoughts, Crappieguy?

piker_biker
See Profile
1/22/14 12:34 PM CST
That's why I use the lightest rods and reel on the market. They do take the rod all the way down quite easily and the drag allows them to take 2 feet or as much as needed. The fatheads will actually take the rod down almost half way if spooked. They're that balanced and light. Walleye, crappie, bluegill, and even shiners have been caught on mine with dropping the bait. The shiners we just used an ice fly. Caught them to use as bait in the same lake. There are so many people that brand there own stuff especially for tip downs. I have one just like the picture made from a 1x1 and a coat hanger. Cost 25 cents for the hanger. Not saying they don't all work but it's preference and depends on where your fishing and how finicky they are.

crappieguy
See Profile
1/22/14 12:11 PM CST
Thanks Butch,

I know some guys like the ones with spinning reels, but you have to buy the Stand, buy the pole and transport all of that mess.

The Tip Downs that we use/sell fold flat and allow a fish to take 2 ft of line with near zero resistance from 45 degrees to 0 degrees and then free fall the remainder of the way to the ice. The tip of the pole and the line goes directly into the edge hole.

The spinning reel designs bob when a fish pulls on it, no tipping with zero resistance and no feeding 2 ft of line. There is constant pressure from the rod on the line.

Am I a little bias, heck yea but I believe it is a superior product at a better price.

butch 1937
See Profile
1/22/14 7:07 AM CST
I have one of Crappieguy's tip downs and I love it. Balances just perfectly and you can detect those light biters. You can't go wrong with his rigs. Just my two cent's worth!

billy baru bgame
billy baru bgame
1/22/14 6:59 AM CST
The guys with the PVC designed ones for rods with spinning reels are the best. I had a friend who made me 6 of the wooden version with the schooley rods.

After watching how far superior the PVC rigs work I'm going to get some of them. The rods do hang level to the ice on a balance point. They have a wire with a u in it the rod handle balances on. When the fish bites it pulls down with almost 0 resistance. The rod slides forward and stops at the place where the handle meets the grip. The rod with the u prevents it from coming out or getting pulled down the hole. They grab the rod pull back and reel the fish in. Having watched them operate next to me I see the obvious advantage. Plus it was windy that day and the wind slightly bobbed the rod up and down. More than just the line movement my wooden ones had.

This was up on petenwell where I saw these in action. We were in 24 fow and having that reel made a huge difference in lost fish. Plus it's so much more fun fighting fish that way.

willfish 4food
willfish 4food
1/22/14 6:44 AM CST
Jzzzzz, have you looked in Fleet Farm? I saw a bunch in the beaver dam store last week.

Also, check craigslist under "Ice Fishing Equipment".

crappieguy
See Profile
1/21/14 11:14 PM CST
I had no problem catching this 41" Northern on Sunday using a Tip Down with an Old School rod, took me 20 minutes but man was it fun.

Those metal rod holders are not a Tip Down, they are no more a Tip Down than the Tight Line Tip Down, probably why it's called Tight Line or the Dangler Tip Down. They are rod holders that allow a pole to tip somewhat, but it has constant pressure.

A true Tip Down has very light resistance until it reaches horizontal and from that point it free falls with zero resistance. When the Crappies are on a nuetral or negative bite you have to have super light resistance on the line. Just my experience and opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdRbS5eTfHI

http://tightlinetipdown.com/

[This post was last edited on 1/21/14 at 11:15 PM]
piker_biker
See Profile
1/21/14 8:40 PM CST
Craapieguy I use spinning reels and ultralight Frabill rods. I usually out fish people using the old school kind. I have no problems with fish dropping the bait. I also have caught my fair share of pike and other gamefish on 3 lb test where as a one to one reel would lose that fish in an instant. $5 for the metal wire tip down bases and I had the rods. If I'm fishing deep it's really easy to just reel them in. I can also add lights without messing with the balance. They sit at an upward angle which I can adjust by moving the rod slightly. Set the drag loose and your good to go!

crappieguy
See Profile
1/21/14 2:54 PM CST
They are getting harder to find and more expensive, seems they go up $1 every year.

Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
1/21/14 11:54 AM CST
anyone seen the cheapy plastic or wood tip down poles anywere lately?

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 144
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook