home made tip downs

2/16/09 @ 8:13 PM
ORIGINAL POST
fishon36
fishon36
USER since 1/27/09
Hello all--- I hope your ice fishing year is going well.... I had a question on the best design for the tipdowns. I've seen them made of wood and pvc. Does anyone have a good design that I could use to make a couple? I have never used them, but I have seen them used and they seem to do well on crappies and other panfish. I usually put out a couple of tipups, but the places that I've been going have been alittle slow for pike and walleyes. You can pm me if you would like-- any help would be appreciated! Thanks and happy fishing- Wink

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 149 Posts
12/9/14 @ 2:21 PM
Bite_size_to a_bluegill
Bite_size_to a_bluegill
USER since 12/26/04

Post Your Comment
12/9/14 @ 2:19 PM
Bite_size_to a_bluegill
Bite_size_to a_bluegill
USER since 12/26/04

Post Your Comment
12/9/14 @ 2:19 PM
Bite_size_to a_bluegill
Bite_size_to a_bluegill
USER since 12/26/04

Post Your Comment
12/9/14 @ 2:18 PM
Bite_size_to a_bluegill
Bite_size_to a_bluegill
USER since 12/26/04
Made 6 of these up. Work great!

Post Your Comment
11/30/14 @ 8:04 PM
Jiggin_4_gills
Jiggin_4_gills
USER since 12/12/06
Made 4 of these today. Now I just need to buy some rods and hit the ice. Any suggestions on which rods? I'm thinking the old school rod with flat plastic spool on the side.

Post Your Comment
10/6/14 @ 7:15 AM
NoFishInThisLake
NoFishInThisLake
USER since 10/27/10
this is my newest creation, since you have to hand line the fish anyway with a tip down why not bypass the need for the pole.Also flag will make the light bites easier to see.

Post Your Comment
7/16/14 @ 9:37 AM
Cfilbert
Cfilbert
USER since 7/8/14
Trying something different in the fish house this year. I installed pegboard halfway up in my shanty and will utilize the 10 inch hooks. All i need is some velcro and an old keyring to make my tipdowns. Also on the pegboard will be the rattle reels that are attached to the hooks to enable them to be moved from hole to hole. I will post pictures when i get the upgrade complete

Post Your Comment
1/25/14 @ 12:18 PM
crappieguy
crappieguy
USER since 2/11/02
The only type of reel that might work wold be one of the mini bait casters that they use for open water crappie. The balance and smooth tipping action is just not possible with a spinning or inline reel.

There is now worry about a Pike pulling your pole down the hole if you use a safety line like we do. It's a 5ft piece of very small diameter cord, very strong like paracord. We put a snap lock on the end and put an eye screw in the butt end of the rod handle and another screw eye in the frame. One end of the cord is tied to the eye in the frame and the other end is tied to the snap lock, then just put the snap lock onto the eye in the butt of the pole.

I have had Northerns pull the pole down the hole and had to retrieve it with the cord. Last weekend I caught a 41" Northern on a Tip Down.

Post Your Comment
1/25/14 @ 11:02 AM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
MEMBER since 3/14/06
Why do you jig with them?

Post Your Comment
1/25/14 @ 10:12 AM
GunManOsh
GunManOsh
USER since 4/20/05
I don't really see the point. And they are too expensive to risk having a pike pull it down the hole for me.

But I do jig with a pair of them. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 149 Posts