What 2 man flip over ice shanties are the best????

12/17/08 @ 5:13 PM
ORIGINAL POST
JGARBE
JGARBE
USER since 6/5/08
I am looking to invest in a 2 person flip over ice shanty. Lots of options out there. I was hoping to get some information on what people have and what they like. I am not so worried about the price as I am to get exactly what I want so I won't be buying another next year.

I would like as much info on flip overs as possible. What the good brand and models are. Downsides that there are. The quicker the flip the better as I like to relocate a lot until I find fish.

Thanks for the help!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 29 Posts
12/28/08 @ 5:55 PM
mrkaline
mrkaline
USER since 12/17/06
FRABIL 6140 IS WHAT I USE,,HAVE THE RUNNERS ON THE BOTTOM, COVER AND TOW BAR....PLENTY GOOD WITH REAL NEAT SEATS.

Post Your Comment
12/28/08 @ 1:32 PM
Antlernut
Antlernut
USER since 4/12/07
I've only owned or dealt with clam and otter. I love my otter team wild. It is technically a one person but 2 average sized guys could jig in it.

Post Your Comment
12/28/08 @ 12:32 PM
Derelict2
Derelict2
USER since 8/12/05
I have a Frabill 2 man trekker.

I love it because it keeps me warm and well its just nice to have, but I have had a few issues with it. I bought a new tent for it this year because I had burned a few holes in my other one plus it ripped down at the seem with the sled.

Well as mentioned I bought a new tent this year. Two hours into using it the first time this season I put a nice hole in it with the lantern...now thats completely my fault....trust me, I felt great about that one!

But then just the other day I noticed that the thing had ripped in the exact same place as my other one and that is a really bad place for it to rip, if you don't have snow to pack over that part it becomes a nice cold air vent!

Anyways, I am happy with it and I use it a lot so these things really need to be able to take some abuse. I think I might get a new one though and keep the Frabill two man at a remote location or something.

I really want one of the new red Eskimo's but I cant find any stores in my area that have one so I can go sit in the things. I think my greatest disappointment in the Frabill is just that the tent seems to be real susceptible to ripping and holes, so I am looking for something with some tougher material.

Post Your Comment
12/27/08 @ 8:04 PM
icey_pike_guy51
icey_pike_guy51
USER since 6/19/07
frabil

Post Your Comment
12/27/08 @ 3:20 PM
inspector gadget
inspector gadget
USER since 12/20/08
I just switched from my old 2XL Fishtrap to the Frabill Trekker XD. I like it, both are great, the seats in the Frabill are nicer then my 10 yr old Fishtrap. I cannot see spending the $$$ on an insulated model, since I have a trailer mounted perm house that I use during the really cold spells.

Post Your Comment
12/23/08 @ 4:10 PM
FishinJohn
FishinJohn
USER since 1/3/08
If money is not really a concern get the r2Tec insulated shack from Frabil. Expensive and heavy but easier on the brain cells if you use a lantern for heat instead of a sunflower. No 20# bulk tank required. Another insulated option are Cavas Craft; they build on Otter sled with their own poles and norpac insulated fabric. These are nice because they are black on the outside and white on the inside. Agan, heavy and expensive but those who have them swear by them. I have an Otter Wilderness Wallyeye which was discontinued and it is alright. You have to run the heater constantly to keep it warm and then you have to have the door half open to avoid a headache. My next shack will be insulated or a permanant.

Post Your Comment
12/23/08 @ 2:53 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I looked at many flip-over shacks last year before buying mine. I opted to keep it simple and less expensive and bought a Frabill Trekker 2 man. The more expensive models had nicer features like better seats and thicker gauge canvas but in the end, the Trekker was the best value. It also fit in my pickup which has a hard tonneau cover which doesn’t give as much room as a regular cap.

I also liked the Eskimos but the sales rep at Sportsmen’s Warehouse warned me that the plastic sleds were thinner and could wear through. I would guess you’d have to be dragging them around the lake quite a bit with a snowmobile or ATV to get that to happen but I guess it’s possible.

In the end, the sales rep told me he had a sponsorship from Frabill as he was also a guide and field tester. Frabill gave him three different shacks so he was set up with the nicer units. However, he told me that if he wasn’t a pro with the sponsorships, he’d likely own the Trekker.

Post Your Comment
12/22/08 @ 5:36 PM
setterjack
setterjack
USER since 1/18/07
I have an Eskimo, can't say it's the best but no problems so far. I had problems with my Mr. heater melting the snow-Ice where you stand after a couple hours and getting real slick. So I made up a floor out of 1/4 in plywood then around the edges ripped some 3/4 in. marine plywood strips 1 in wide, aso a couple strips across where you stand. Then cut the outside 12 inches off and hinged it together so you can still fish from it or just sit and watch tip-ups.It's real lightwieght and packs up nicely. I throw a small rug in there for my dog and everythings great! Just something to consider. Good luck fishing. SJ

Post Your Comment
12/22/08 @ 3:06 PM
Irmaboy
Irmaboy
USER since 1/28/03
I am very happy with my flip over except two things: When fishing deep with light line and needing an exaggerated hook set, there is not enough height inside and I hit the roof with my pole. I have to make sure I reel all the slack prior to the bite and start the hook set tight to the ice. Also the wind tends to get under the flaps unless you take the time to bury in th snow, if there is any. Otherwise I love being able to pack all my stuff in the shack and it's compartments and hole hop with ease.

Edited on 12/22/08 3:07 PM
Post Your Comment
12/22/08 @ 2:54 PM
malibukid
malibukid
USER since 11/7/07
Otter Magnum is the best flip over shack ever!!!

By far the best pulling shack behind either a ATV or snowmobile, doesn't matter if the snow is one inch deep or two feet deep this thing glides so nice over the snow! Best storage of any portable ice shack. All in all the best shack hands down. I am 6'6" and my brother who fishes with me a lot of the time is 6'8" and with him and I together ice fishing we need room and this portable shack offers just that. I cannot say enough about this thing.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 29 Posts