Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Lowrance M68c Multi-Season Kit

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Pharmboy
Pharmboy
Level: General User
11/11/08 8:35 PM CST
any experience with this for ice fishing? THis would be nice for not only ice fishing but for mounting on the kayak in the summer.

Bosman
See Profile
11/12/08 3:08 PM CST
"BTW, the Lowrance products use a thin film transitor (TFT) display, not an LCD. I've used my x67c in very cold temps with no adverse performance"

That would explain why I too haven't had any display issues. Thanks -

WinnebagoViking
WinnebagoViking
11/12/08 2:49 PM CST
I suggest the x67c along with a handheld GPS instead of the x68. The price difference isn't that significant. The x68 GPS doesn't allow the addition of contour map chips like Lakemaster or Navionics. IMHO, the built in GPS isn't all that useful for other applications, i.e driving, walking. It is OK once you're at the spot and have the unti unzipped and set-up, but for general navigation its too bulky and unwieldy.

BTW, the Lowrance products use a thin film transitor (TFT) display, not an LCD. I've used my x67c in very cold temps with no adverse performance.

[This post was last edited on 11/12/08 at 2:53 PM]
Bosman
See Profile
11/12/08 12:14 PM CST
"any experience with this for ice fishing? THis would be nice for not only ice fishing but for mounting on the kayak in the summer."

I bought the 67C a few years back. Same as the 68C less the GPS capability. Use it on the hard & open water. Love the versatility for the price which lured me to the product in the first place. In sonar mode (ice fishing) the unit has performmed beyond my expectations. Simple put - it marks fish at accurate depths. No problems with glare at all. One nice feature is the ability to change flasher color patterns to compensate for ambient light conditions. You can also easily adjust the display angle for your viewing pleasure to help combat those sunny days. Battery life is superb. If there was one thing to complain about it would be noise. The unit will pick up noise from other flashers. I've been able to determine through trial & error I have to stay 8' to 10' away from others fishing with flashers. Funny thing about the noise issue is the unit doesn't ALWAYS pick up noise from other flashers when the two units are sitting side by side. It seems older models have more of a negative impact than newer models (Vexs & Marcum).

Last but not least - I had concerns about exposing the unit to colder temps and how the LCD would respond. That concern was put to rest long ago. I've been on the ice (not a shanty) for 8 hours straight with temps in the single digits with no problems. Lowrance suggests NOT to use the product in temps below -4F in which I haven't.

My only regret is that I didn't cough up the extra $100 get the 68C instead of the 67C for the GPS capability. That would have been a really nice feature for fishing those spots on a spot.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply IceForce AquaVu Uncle Josh Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook