Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Best one man shanty

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Stratosboats
Stratosboats
Level: General User
11/28/07 11:12 PM CST
I am looking at purchasing a one man shanty for this year. I have a Frabill Ranger XL Twin but it's just to big to bring when I go alone. It can also be very hard to anchor in the wind with one guy(125lbs) and the shanty being so big. What do you think is the best one man shanty for the money?

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 77
z71booner
z71booner
1/27/12 9:29 AM CST
I have a new 3 man Frabill Guardian shanty, and i love everything about it, except how hard it is to pull by hand. I have my snowmobile rigged up to pull it with the tow bar, and also my snowmobile has a rack for my drill. So once there is enough ice for the snowmobile i'm set, but pulling that shanty out by hand is alot to handle, so i am in the market for a one man shanty.

I've sat in the Clam Kenai, and it seems like a very nice shack, but to this point i am very partial to Frabill products. I was looking at the Commando (frabill) and the kenai (clam)and the Commando Max. I'm looking for a good price, but mostly i want to be happy, i hate clutter, and the commando max looks like it would be really nice. Thanks for any help.

tbone27
tbone27
1/13/10 7:23 PM CST
First of all they don't make the Scout or Pro any more. The Commando has a lot of unuseable space wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out front of the fisherman. Anyone looking at the new Frabills or Clams should do themselves a favor spend the extra money on a Otter Cottage. Smile

Stratosboats
Stratosboats
9/24/09 10:24 PM CST
I bought a Clam Pro and sold it already. Purchased an atv and the problems with the bigger heavier 2 man shack are gone. I love the amount of room I have when I go alone.

grump
grump
Level: MEMBER
9/24/09 8:09 PM CST
Frabill COMANDO. Tounge Out

Ice'n Tibs
Ice'n Tibs
9/18/09 8:27 PM CST
This thread is almost 2 years old, I hope he's got one by now.......

mooselegs
mooselegs
9/18/09 8:15 PM CST
I have an OTTER 1.5 man tent w/ sled that I plan to put up for sale soon. It is 3 years old and has been used a max. of 5 times.

newInCudahy
See Profile
9/18/09 5:58 PM CST
Did a Lil googlin and came up with this.

I have a NEW -- STILL in the box Clam - Scout portable ice fishing shelter. $150.00 (Tomah,WI.) sldrink@mwt.net

Prob the best price til ice out then there are deals to be found. Also haunt craigslist.

eyesman
eyesman
9/18/09 4:05 PM CST
Look at the Otter sled with the one man tent. Stows all the gear for a day on the ice. Rigged a boat seat in it and can tent up all day if need be. Room for three holes as well. Fits on my ATV rack as well to be mobile on the ice. Better than 10 years old and still in good condition. A 1 lb propane tank will heat it for 6 - 7 hrs at zero with wind. eyesman

fishnhunt14
fishnhunt14
9/18/09 11:02 AM CST
how much do the scouts cost? I seen gander mountain advertise them for $200, but is there anywhere cheaper or is that the average price?

newInCudahy
See Profile
9/17/09 10:11 PM CST
I've had 3 different one man flips I say... Scout!

muskymike275
muskymike275
9/17/09 9:40 PM CST
You won't be dissappointed with the Scout! For all the reasons stated below.

fishnhunt14
fishnhunt14
9/17/09 5:34 PM CST
has anyone used the menards 1 person shanty for $140? I've heard mixed reviews on them. I was thinking of getting a sled type shanty for this year, right now I have a polar express and I like, I just want something to carry all of my gear out with. I was also looking into a frabill recon or a fish trap scout, but am leaning toward the scout. They are a little more money, but will probably last longer. I really dont want to spend a lot of money on a shanty, so if the menards one is nice, I'll go with that one.

PackRat
See Profile
1/11/09 8:07 AM CST
I just got a Frabill Commando..SHWEEEEEET. Only 60 lbs. I sold my Eskimo Quick Flip to my boy for what I bought my Frabill for...you will love this shack.

cds
See Profile
1/11/09 8:01 AM CST
I have a 5 year old scout. I replaced the base this year but the fabric is pretty worn so I've been looking at other 1 man flip-tops the past couple years.

So after 2 years worth of looking,what am I going to replace it with? Another scout.

I also have an older 1-man Snowboat. Not the easiest to set up but not too bad either. Better than "decent" condition....If someone who doesn't have much $$$ wants it,they can have it for free. Anyone else who might not want to invest much money in a sport they don't do very often can have it for whatever they think is fair - $20? $30?...It cost me $75 to replace the zipper in the middle of the last season I used it.

bassman tucker
bassman tucker
1/10/09 6:16 PM CST
I also have a 2 man flip-over shack and was tired of lugging it through deep snow. I checked out one man shacks for several months before choosing the SCOUT. when choosing a one man shack, keep three things in mind. Mobility,mobility,and thats right, mobility! If you have to fumble around with telescopic frames and support poles every time you want to move or hole hop, you will find yourself sitting over a fishless hole for hours after getting sick and tired of the process. In that case you may as well use a 2 man shack and enjoy the extra space.Otherwise you have 3 options , the scout,frabill recon, or frabill commando. The recon is the lightest but also the smallest. The biggest drawback about the recon, for me anyway, was the lack of a door. "Sometimes", I am lucky enough to stumble on school of crappie and want to camp out for a few hours. Then it is to be able to go outside and kick snow all around the shack to keep in the heat. Now I had to decide between the scout and the commando. The commando has a very comfy seat and is longer but heavier. AS someone else stated, it is the same width as the scout making the extra space and longer sled just dead weight. Like I said before, the main purpose of a one man shack is to be as mobile as possible. some great lakes don't allow vehicles on them! Anyway I chose the scout and love it. I am 6' tall and weigh 180# and have plenty of room to jig one hole with my vex and a lantern for heat. Two holes is possible but alittle tight. I have no problem fitting my gear in sled. The best part is that when I get back to my truck, I simply put the cover on, gear and all, and I can still easily pick it up and slide it in my truck or my buddies hatch back car. Anyway, I don't want to offend anyone. This is just my opinion based on my experiece. I hope this helps and good luck.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 77
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook