Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Tip downs?

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

icefisherman69
icefisherman69
Level: General User
10/11/06 8:15 PM CST
ok this might be a dumb question but what are they? i know they are used for panfish but if they are like a tipup how do u have enough time to set the hook? panfish dont run like northerns do. any info would be appreciated.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 84
mschwetz
mschwetz
2/7/11 2:44 PM CST
I have made some wooden tip downs that balance a spinning rod on the top by using a metal tube with a balancing rod welded to it. you can put any fishing combo into it and tighten the thumb screw to balance. works great. BUT i just found a new tip down called the Dangler which uses a velcro hook that you attach to your combo at the balancing point and is a much nicer unit. folds up really small and works great!

lewen77
lewen77
7/30/10 7:09 PM CST
Hello, tip downs are mainly used for Crappies. basically they are a pole that is placed on a stand and is balanced on the stand to give as little as possible of resistance when the fish starts to swim away after taking the minnow. You are right on the setting the hook you need to get to the rod before the rod tips all the way forward. Once this happens the fish will feel the resistance of the pole due to the fact that you don't have it set for the fish to run out line. Once you get to the pole you grab it off the stand. Here's the tricky part something you have to learn by doing it. Some people will just grab and jerk up right off the bat, I see more fish lost this way.... the other way some do it is by taking the rod off the stand and following the fish by pointing the pole towards the hole while sorta lowering. This allows the fish to have a little more time with the bait and also gives you the opportunity to get a direction its going and also allowing the fish to feel nothing in resistance then (pull up Don't jerk) crappies have a very soft mouth you will rip the bait away. All you need to do is keep tention on the line and the fish has a harder time get off the line. As for setting the tip down up usually rule of thumb starting you hook the depth finder on the line and find the bottom. Raise the bait to the depth you are going to fish at ( Usually 1' - 3' ) off the bottom, tighten the spool on the rod and then set it on the stand. With the handle tipping back. When the fish hits the rod will start to tip forward, fish on!!!!!! I always put a bobber stop on the line about 6 inches off the water surface in the hole. this allows me to reset the bait at the depth I was at after I caught a fish.

As for attaching the rod to the stand you drill a hole through the handle at the point of were the rod is balanced with line and lure weight included. Figure in the minnow weight (Guess) and drill hole put a dull rod of some sort through the handle. I went to the hardware store and bought some brass dull rods and cut then to the size of the stand top. as for the stand I use a 2" PVC pipe cut a 38" tall only reason is that it gives me the ability to just walk up to the rod and reach down without having to bend over. You cut notches on both sides on the top of the PVC pipe which allows you to set the rod on the top of the stand. your ready to fish.

To set the PVC pipe up near the hole you take the slush from the hole that was drilled and form a ant hill and put the pole in the middle and pack the ice around the pole it will freeze solid. Don't worry the fish can't tip it over the most that will happen if you get a good walleye or pike on is that the rod will tip all the way down and then fly into the hole if you do get it. Hope this helps and have a good ice fishing season, and if you are still wondering on something just go up to someone fishing this and ask. People on the ice are super nice and will help you out.

surf n turf
surf n turf
Level: MEMBER
1/8/09 8:06 AM CST
Ive got the same ones from gander, I think theyre excellent. As far as cold and windy days go,I use the foam rubber hole covers gander sells. I carry a couple of boards in the sled to use for wind blocks. Like 24x12 pieces of plywood. Prop them up with slush or a bucket.

Ruffed Grouse
Ruffed Grouse
1/6/09 9:56 PM CST
Try this link. I bought several of these from Gander in Madison, when they were consolidating the two old stores to open the new store on I-94 last year. These little gems catch fish when nobody else can buy a bite.

The down side - they have to be used on balmy days, when the holes won't freeze quickly (late season).

I fished with a group on the Turtle Flambeau for suspended Crappie over deep lake basins, at the end of February 08. I've never seen such a deadly technique or numbers of "monster" Crappie in my life.

Use some type of braid or thin dacron for your main line, then a swivel and 4 or 6 pound fluorocarbon for a leader. Use your electronics to set your hook and split shot or jig and mark your line at the top of the hole with a small bobber. This will help balance the rod in the cradle or there is a removable end cap on the rod to add counter balance weights). You will end-up hand-lining your catch and the dacron or braid will help here. The bobber will help you get back on fish quickly.

http://www.tip-down.com

Good Luck!

MR. BEAN
MR. BEAN
1/6/09 9:35 PM CST
Pardon me in advance for my ignorance, but will any wind at all have an adverse effect on this type of rig?

guttersnake
See Profile
12/8/08 9:03 PM CST
The search function works just might have to try some different spellings.try Tip Down when searching or you'll get some bad results.But that will give all the info that you need.

ozob
See Profile
12/8/08 6:28 PM CST
Here is a tip down thread already started that has great pictures, instructions, and even links to instructions I think. I have not made any yet but I have seen another LLrs that made some after reading This thread. Please believe me when I type that I am not trying to be a LL posting freak but helping some understand that by using the search/keyword at the top right hand side of the page,you can find a wealth of info that some may not want to type again. As well as many great LLers that don't seem to post anymore. SCROLL DOWN and happy reading. OZOB Smile

[This post was last edited on 12/8/08 at 6:32 PM]
surf n turf
surf n turf
3/18/08 8:33 PM CST
I have 3 lb mono on mine, but I ve lost a lot of fish this year. Im going to buy fireline 2moro. I personally dont think the lite line matters to much.

newoodhntr
See Profile
3/18/08 7:59 PM CST
I use yellow line for ease of seeing it on the ice and then a leader of vanish with beads and a treble hook.

BugleTrout
BugleTrout
3/18/08 6:55 PM CST
I have mine rigged with whatever cheapo line that comes with the jig rod. I then splice on a 3 foot piece of 2 lb test fluorocarbon. Works just fine for me. Here's Friday's catch.

MJPOPP
See Profile
3/18/08 12:39 PM CST
Does everyone use all mono, or dacron/fireline w/ a leader for better grip of the line?

Thanks,

timberjack
See Profile
3/17/08 11:09 AM CST
I have a tip down like Crappie Guys design. I ran a longer rod through two holes in it and used it to dangle two rods (one in either direction.) It works great. You can still use it as a tip down as well.

Zebco33
See Profile
3/14/08 8:47 AM CST
There are many versions of TipDowns available. They consist of a small pole with a reel or spool of line. The pole will have a rod going perpendicular thru the handle at the balance point of the pole. The pole then rests in a holder that sets on the ice next to the hole. You set up the line as you would your jig pole or even TipUp, depending upon what you're after. Mostly TipDowns are used for panfish because the poles usually aren't that stout. The hook is then baited with a minnow or grub of sorts and dropped to a desired depth. When a fish takes the bait, (the rod being balance in the upright position prior to any fish), it pulls on the line and causes the pole to pivot down towards the hole, hence "tipdown". You can set the spool of line in a locked position or allow the fish to pull line off but usually you lock the spool so the fish actually hooks itself. They are alot of fun to fish with and work well for Walleyes, too, since it is difficult for them to "feel" any resistance until they're hooked. Although you have to be quick getting to them in the event you get a big fish on. Check out this pic. I forgot all my stands the day of the LL Jambo so I had to improvise with a log I plucked from shore. It worked! I recommend everyone have at least one tipdown. They really are alot of fun.

Oh and just when I went to take a picture of the TipDown, I got a bite. That's why you see the rod bending down towards the hole. Smile

Zebco

[This post was last edited on 3/14/08 at 8:50 AM]
crappieguy
See Profile
3/8/08 7:24 PM CST
Here is a better picture showing the rod through the handle.

Dances With Eyes
See Profile
3/7/08 11:20 PM CST
ya i got them all fine tuned now just waiting for the warm weather this week. great design on the tip down crappie guy. Cool

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 84
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook