MORE
Ice Fishing

Eskimo Quickfish 3i

2/8/16 @ 1:15 PM
INITIAL POST
gray fox
gray fox
PRO MEMBER User since 2/22/08
Do you like this hub shelter and its concept? can one old person put this up easy? Big Smile
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
2/12/16 @ 11:40 AM
micvoiss
User since 6/10/02
To go off of what Hockey said, I got that tool, and I welded it to socket bit for my impact driver. Then, when I have to set it up, I just let the impact driver do the work. It really comes in handy when the wind is whipping, because I can get the first anchor in quickly. And for the old tried and true who do everything by hand, I use the impact driver because I want to fish, and turning those anchors in by hand usually cause my hands to swell up and joints to go stiff due to the bone on bone arthritic joints I have. Wink
2/10/16 @ 9:33 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
Congrats on the new shanty! You'll love it. Cannot stress enough how important anchoring it down first is if it's breezy. Same with taking it down. Leave it anchored until it's collapsed. BTW...they have a tool for your drill that will help get the anchors in quick. Otherwise, drilling a pilot hole first really helps. Doable by hand, but why not make it easier on yourself lol. Here's a tip to keep a couple things organized in there. Get a milk crate and put it on its side (making sure it's level). Heater on top, flasher down below. You could even include a board to put across the top (side?) to stick out on both sides for a place to keep bait/drinks/etc. Got this idea from a fellow LLer a few years back.
2/9/16 @ 5:54 PM
gray fox
gray fox
PRO MEMBER User since 2/22/08
THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO COMMENT......I DID IT AND GOT ONE FROM LM SUPPLY. FIRST TIME UP AND DOWN WAS A LITTLE DIFFICULT. THANKS AGAIN Big Smile Cool
2/9/16 @ 11:29 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
The Quickfish3i is not to much house for one person and great for 2. IT's a bit tight for 3 however. Hub houses are nice and light weight. Look closely at the Eskimo houses, the insulated fabric, the heavy duty YKK Zippers, the windows that are so pliable they will not freeze ands crack, and the fact that they will come completely off to make into a vent. The Eskimo houses are very nice.
2/9/16 @ 8:51 AM
brooky
User since 1/31/13
The drawback on these is you have to bend over alot to setup and take down compared to a one man flip. If you have back trouble this matters quite a bit. If you move alot they are not the best way to go. That being said if you are smart you can minimize the hassle with organization. I have only fished out of a hub never owned a pull behind. Just ordered my second one as I want to start camping on the ice and wanted one a little bigger and insulated.Very good deals right now at L and M. If you want to try one I can let you use one monday and you can see how you like it. I will be fishing in the madison area.
2/8/16 @ 8:56 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
Practice putting it up and taking it down before you hit the ice. That way you can get a "feel" for how they go up and down. It will make you better prepared to complete this task out in the open where there could be a bit of a breeze. Hubs are great and the more experience you have setting them up and taking them down the better you will get at it. Anyone who has this type of shack will echo this. The first couple of times it might feel as impossible as standing up in a hammock. Once you get the hang of it they are really simple and you'll be putting that sucker up in some pretty windy conditions with ease.
2/8/16 @ 7:42 PM
K.P.
User since 2/2/16
Putting up any of the pop ups are easy. It's the tear down that can be a little more difficult if the fabric gets damp/moist...it can add extra weight. I've only experienced a friends Eskimo that you can't stand up straight in...that can get really uncomfortable but it does warm up easier even without insulated quilt. And it's really small and light for trekking to remote ponds being only 3 feet long. I have a Cabelas brand pop up I really like. The black color and insulated quilt roof warms well even without a heater on a sunny day. but I went with a larger footprint which adds some pounds. Any pop up tall enough to stand up in is going to be around 4+ feet long but well worth it if only for the ability to stand and stretch without having to step outside.
2/8/16 @ 6:52 PM
wiel0059
User since 6/20/14
Yeah I'll echo hockeyguy39's thoughts. Great shack, had one for a long time and it treated me great. I've stepped up now to the Eskimo 6120i, just for more room since I normally fish 3-4 people, sometimes 5, out of my hub now. Previously it was just 2, occasionally 3 of us. 2 it was awesome, 3 it was doable. With me taking more novice anglers out, a lot of times I set it up / take it down by myself, the 6120i being larger is a tad more difficult, the smaller hub was always pretty easy. What I like about Eskimo is they make their bags big enough. I had a few other brands previously, and the bag was far too tight, it was a pain getting it in the bag when it was cold... Another 'tip' is just pop it up after use if you can so it dries between trips. I do this everytime. It keeps the fabric good for much longer. The other great thing about the insulated series is you barely even need a heater, we never put the heater above low with the 6120i to be honest, even when it was -15 (no wind chill) earlier this year. Hope this helps!
2/8/16 @ 3:31 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
I have the uninsulated version and have no problems doing it solo. Just be sure to anchor it before popping it up if it's breezy. And two people is about the max you can comfortably fit in there. You can do three, but it'd be tight.
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE