MORE
Ice Fishing

Flip shelter tub repair

12/11/13 @ 2:59 PM
INITIAL POST
Huntz
Huntz
User since 4/18/08
Even though I've got runners on my flip shelter, a hole formed on the front right bottom corner of the tub, right where it begins to curve upward. It's dime sized. I would like to plug / repair it. Any thoughts or tried and true solutions?
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
3/10/15 @ 10:28 AM
Huntz
Huntz
User since 4/18/08
The J-B Weld that I used a year ago broke loose from the tub this past weekend. I'm going to fix again w/ J-B Weld, but this time I'm going to put a few small screws through the bottom of the tub so the Weld has something to bind to.
12/12/14 @ 5:30 PM
The Fishinnut
The Fishinnut
User since 8/11/10
Thanks for posting, will have to try the JB, those dog gone atv&car bridges on Bago punched a couple holes in my 1&2 man shanty's Crying But I did do as Leekywaders did and bought a XT1200 lodge, Son and I will have to carry over the bridges from now on Wink
12/12/14 @ 4:27 PM
Huntz
Huntz
User since 4/18/08
Thought I would follow up on this. I used J-B Weld (<$5) a year ago and the fix is solid one year later. As was suggested, I did tape the underside before applyIng. Thanks - Huntz
12/15/13 @ 11:35 AM
LeekyWaders
User since 1/16/13
Here are a couple of photos of my tub repairs. sorry about the quality. Need to quit buying ice fishing stuff and pick up a good camera.
Flip shelter tub repair photo by LeekyWaders
12/15/13 @ 8:55 AM
LeekyWaders
User since 1/16/13
Depending on how much you are willing to spend, there are a n umber of ways to deal with this issue. I have a Frabill 2man flipover I purchased 2006 and it formed a crack/hole in the left front shortly after I purchased it . I made the mistake of not putting the runners on right away but nevertheless, I have a hole/crack. The first thing we tried was cutting up a five gallon plastic pail and shaping it with a heat gun and attatching it with screws/nuts. I also attached brackets to the hyfax runners and mounted a pair of old skis to the sled. This held up until last year when one of the skis finally wore out. Sometimes I have a short run across blacktop to get to the ice and I have pulled this sled with an ATV over a thousand miles up and down the Wisconsin River so this thing gets some rough abuse. Method 2: I bought an Otter tub and was going to put the Frabil tub inside it. I tried to contact Frabil and just replace the original tub but they didn't return my call. I ended up brainstorming and came up with Method 3: This requires some metalworking skills but I had some pieces of angle iron laying around and attatched these to the brackets used for the old skis. An option instead of angle iron, use sections of the 1 or 1.5" plastic pipe if you are trying to minimize weight. You might have to replace more often but this will get the sled off the ice and protect the tub. I'll try to post some photos of what I have. Method 4: Most expensive but somehow I tricked myself into this one. Buy an Otter 1200 Lodge. Hope this helps and might give you some ideas if you can't find a simpler solution using some of the other posts.
12/12/13 @ 4:33 AM
Frozenman
User since 12/16/07
Epoxy?
12/12/13 @ 12:41 AM
ariddle4me2
User since 1/16/11
I have heard of a guy using bondo that you use to fix fiberglass in cars. He just did this over the summer and has only used it a couple of times. Not sure if it will hold up to the abuse if a whole season. Really wondering how will hold up to being dragged behind the four wheeler. Time will tell.
ariddle4me2
User since 1/16/11
I have heard of a guy using bondo that you use to fix fiberglass in cars. He just did this over the summer and has only used it a couple of times. Not sure if it will hold up to the abuse if a whole season. Really wondering how will hold up to being dragged behind the four wheeler. Time will tell.
ariddle4me2
User since 1/16/11
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE