Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Best Cordless Drill / Ice Auger Setup

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Casting
See Profile
Level: General User
11/12/12 10:29 AM CST
I've been looking for an auger, probably a 7" Mora ... And also a cordless drill, probably a Craftsman 20 V Litium Ion 1/2" hammerdrill/driver... Some say go w/ an 8 inch auger in case you get a nice pike, some say it's not necessary, I was leaning towards a 6" Nils... They also say you need at least 400 lbs. of torque and the Craftsman 20V has 540 lbs. ... I want the best of both worlds, right hole size and dual use cordless drill (on the ice and at home)... Cool

icefitchin
See Profile
11/13/12 6:54 PM CST
2 things to do/not do in my opinion.

1.) Do not buy a mora if youre going to connect to a cordless drill. Yes it will eventually drill through the ice, but your drill is going to work a lot harder to do so. Which means you will get less holes/battery.

2.) A lithium ion battery is going to be your best bet when choosing a battery/drill. All batteries drain fast in the cold. Lithium batteries dont have battery memory, which means its not bad for the battery to be completely drained before bieng put back on the charger. Its actually better for the battery to be "drained" down to zero.

If you are going to use an 8" auger, you better have a hell of a drill. Most drills will turn an 8" auger, and again YES you will eventually get a hole drilled.... but if you want to maximize holes/battery go with a 6" auger. Ive pulled some really good pike thru a 6" hole. Im not saying its the easiest task in the world.... but its do able.

I personally use a 36 volt Bosh cordless hammer drill with a 6" strike master lazer auger. Ive drilled through 32" of ice with this combo. The strike master lazer is the key to the combo. If i hadnt spent so much money on the drill, i probably would have bought a Nills auger instead.

justmike
justmike
11/12/12 6:54 PM CST
http://www.nilsmaster.com/ I think its the best hand auger sold. A little expensive but I wouldn't buy any other hand auger now that I've used one.

FSHNJOE
FSHNJOE
Level: MEMBER
11/12/12 4:18 PM CST
what is a nills master? Dull

justmike
justmike
11/12/12 2:32 PM CST
just buy an 8" nills master and leave the drill at home. I had a lazer 8" with a ridged 18v set up untill I got the nills now I don't even miss the drill. Its so easy there is no need for it.

30''walters
See Profile
11/12/12 12:25 PM CST
I'll back up the craftsman drill statement. They suck. Dewalt or mil.

fisher88
See Profile
11/12/12 11:49 AM CST
I have used a DeWalt 18 volt XRP for the last few years with a Mora 5in it works great. Last year I bought a 6in Lazer with the same drill and it can still drill as many holes as I need with 2 batteries in one day (40+ in 18in of ice). The main thing is to get a good drill. The bigger the hole the fewer holes you will get just the way it works. Anyhow it takes the work out of drilling a hole and no gas. Good Luck.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook