Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

New Eagle Claw Inline Ice Reels

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

cousincarmody
cousincarmody
Level: General User
11/1/12 9:53 AM CST
Has anyone else picked one of these up? I found them for $30, which is a deal. It seems to me that they rushed them out before 13fishing reveals their 'Ice Ninja' reels, which will be a similar product. I doubt those will be $30.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 27
JigamaBob
JigamaBob
3/3/13 7:31 AM CST
Thanks for the tips guys. I tried everything with no results so decided to have new line put. Problem solved!!! By the way I love the real. The free spool works great. Got mine at Gander for $25. Bought 2. Cool

[This post was last edited on 3/3/13 at 7:33 AM]
SOFT&HARD H2O
See Profile
3/2/13 1:06 PM CST
You have to watch your jig as it falls. If the jig is off kilter, or the plastic/waxie/spike/mousie isn't fitted straight, it'll spin on the way down. I've had a hell of a time ,once with black plastic and a dark lake bed in 12 feet of water. couldn't see if the jig was spinning on the drop or not..... and that was at prime time 4:30ish.... Good Luck to you!

JigamaBob
JigamaBob
2/28/13 8:18 PM CST
I was using a tiny jig for bluegills. I know there is no line twist with these reels, but my baits spin like tops. I made sure the line was put on the correct way. Only thing I can think of is its faulty spool of line. Very FRUSTRATING!!!!

SOFT&HARD H2O
See Profile
2/28/13 6:44 PM CST
Jigamabob.... The line can't twist with this reel.maybe the bait you are using. raps without a swivel are good for twisting line, or jigging spoons.

[This post was last edited on 2/28/13 at 6:51 PM]
JigamaBob
JigamaBob
2/28/13 6:04 PM CST
Bought one of these reels and the line twist is terrible.

greatlakeskayakangler
greatlakeskayakangler
2/28/13 12:01 PM CST
Lake Michigan Angler in Winthrop Harbor IL, has some of the Eagle Claw inline combos left if stock if anyone is still looking for them. They will ship. 224 789 7627

shedhunter
See Profile
2/28/13 7:22 AM CST
I have a brand new in the box Black betty 6061 inline reel for sale if anybody is interested, not trying to make a buck just trying to make somebody happy that wanted one that didn't get one as they were sold out quickly---shed

jordan la
jordan la
2/27/13 7:50 PM CST
They are selling for good money on E bay now, usually between 50-80 bucks, even used, if your looking to get rid of it sell now. Haven't used mine much but for $15 from eagle claw it was a good deal.

voldie
voldie
2/27/13 1:11 PM CST
I bought one early in the ice season , wished i had bought three. fish a lot in 15to 20 feet of water and if set right useing the little break system on the side of the reel works great . Can adjust for different size and weight of jigs. Will purchae at least two more for next year.

cousincarmody
cousincarmody
2/27/13 10:19 AM CST
I used mine all season and loved it. I fished in temperatures from 0 to 40 degrees and it performed well. I really like the lack of line twist and it was easy to use. I had a friend who has never ice fished before give it a try and he had it down in 5 minutes time.

jwog666
See Profile
2/27/13 8:16 AM CST
no one has them in stock, there were a limited ammount made and they were all bought up fast. i bought mine in dec. and it was the last one in wausau, better get in line for next season.

Frozenman
See Profile
2/27/13 5:26 AM CST
Any recent reviews? Who may have them in stock?

chequamegon slammer
chequamegon slammer
11/9/12 9:32 AM CST
I will be getting a couple to try this winter, for the price,why not. Early ice, shallow water, COME ON ICE!!!!!!!!! Big Smile

cousincarmody
cousincarmody
11/8/12 2:58 PM CST
As someone who does most of my jigging in 6 feet of water or less, I can attest to the effects of line twist on a jig's action. I put the eagle claw on my rod last night and the first thing that I noticed is that the balance is pretty poor due to the design of the reel. The reel pulls right if you are just letting the rod hang in your hand. The adjustment of the drag and the retrieve are the two big advantages that I see right off the bat in addition to the lack of line twist. Also, the reel is made to accommodate gloves if you're in a situation where they're a necessity. Using a 3mm Wolfram jig and 2 lb. mono I tested how it dropped without assistance. It gets there, but you definitely have more control and less chance of backlash if you pull the line out manually.

jigginfireman
See Profile
11/8/12 2:02 PM CST
@FCS I agree with you in the fact that you will have to assist them to get your jigs down. Realize that it may not be the same issue if your using heavy jigs that will play out the line, but for small crappie, perch, or gills then you will need to manually pull line out as the jig falls. The other issue is that there is nothing keeping the line from coming off the reel. The only thing is friction. Without actually using these on the ice to factor in the listed above factors I will not be buying. Keep the posts coming on brainstorming. Good points brought up so far.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 27
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply IceForce AquaVu Uncle Josh Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook