Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

New Electric ION or Icegator ice augers

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

TommyOB
See Profile
Level: General User
10/23/12 6:54 PM CST
Anyone own or know about these new Lithium operated ice augers. The ION has a 40V Lithium battery and claims to drill up to 40 holes (24". I'm looking to purchase new and looking for reviews. I have seen a couple reviews on their websites which were all positive. Thank you TommyO

[This post was last edited on 10/23/12 at 6:57 PM]
jbird68
See Profile
11/2/12 6:24 PM CST
Well, I own one of the original Ice Gators built for 8" augers and I love it. Yeah it's a bit heavy but it is NOT slow. It rips through ice. I paired it up with an HT Arctic Express 7" auger. I has so much power that after 3 years of use the welds on the flutes on my auger broke and I had to have them re-welded. After that it was back to business. I haven't had a chance to see the ION yet. I chose the Ice Gator so I wouldn't have to mess with gas.

This is just my opinion.

[This post was last edited on 11/2/12 at 6:36 PM]
Landin' Lunkers
Landin' Lunkers
10/31/12 8:32 PM CST
I ran into a guy last year that had one of these. I drilled a few holes with it and didn't care for it myself. It seemed to drill real slow and it was maybe 8" of ice. Charging maintenance and lets remember its all electrical so who knows how long all that lasts with.sitting all summer. I remember it being fairly heavy. Not sure about newer models but this one was heavy. I would just buy a gas one for the price. I just got a brand new jiffy online free shipping for 300$. With full warranty. Do wat works for you but I would stick with gas.

perch chaser
perch chaser
10/31/12 5:16 PM CST
Don't need a state- of- the- art drill for ice fishing. Been using a factory reconditioned 1/2" 18V Mikita for years. I use the old NiCad batteries with excellent results. As long as you keep them warm (NiCad or ion lithium) you can drill a ton of holes. The 1/2'" 18 volt Rigid from Home Depot is a popular drill among many of the guys. It has a low variable speed setting which you need. I see home Depot is selling a 18V 1/2" with 2 Lithium batteries and a charger for $159 online with free shipping,a GOOD deal. Some of the guys drilling 8" holes have gone to 24V's in my opinion any thing higher is over kill.

ditto
ditto
10/31/12 2:11 PM CST
The ION is 40 volts, to get a cordless drill like that you need to go with a Bausch 36 volt for like $350 plus you still need to buy an auger and an attachement. I checked into the cordless route last year and to do it right didn't save any money unless you also needed a really good cordless drill for work or something like that.

BigMusky12
See Profile
10/31/12 1:01 PM CST
the benefit of the ION over a hand auger with drill is that it is designed such that water and laying in snow will not completely destroy it like a hammer drill.

I would probably get an ION before an Ice Gator. I like the battery management aspects of it better and weighs like 10lbs less.

[This post was last edited on 10/31/12 at 1:03 PM]
perch chaser
perch chaser
10/30/12 2:27 PM CST
You can get the same preformance with a good 1/2" variable speed drill at the fraction of the weight. The second battery will also be cheaper. The key is a good 5 or 6 inch lazer auger like one of the strikemasters. Check the past threads on buying or making adapters of augers to drills. Tons of good info on the subject.

Forgehunter67
Forgehunter67
10/29/12 4:09 PM CST
backup battery will run you about $150.00

WAXMAN
WAXMAN
Level: MEMBER
10/29/12 12:28 PM CST
Tried it out at a sporting goods store. I didn't like the handles(bike handle bars). To early to tell how good/bad this unit is.

TommyOB
See Profile
10/29/12 11:54 AM CST
$126

perchdr
See Profile
10/29/12 11:46 AM CST
Looked at this set up at Dick Smiths. I was impressed to say the least. Anyone know the cost of a backup battery?

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook