Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

What 300 Win Mag to buy???

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

BigRyan
BigRyan
Level: General User
3/18/12 10:20 PM CST
I have been planning to buy a 300 win mag chamber rifle for awhile but am not sure what brand to buy. I want synthetic and stainless. I have looked at several different models and talked to several people at different gun stores (Cabela's, Midwest Shooters, Gander Gun World, and a couple others). The only consistency I've found is inconsistency. Suggestions have been Remington, Savage, Browning, Weatherby, and Sako. Now, I have seriously looked at all but am very confused. Just curios what ideas anyone else had out there. In my mind I would like to spend $1000 to 1300 or so on the gun itself and put some nice glass on it, but the Rem. and Savage suggestions come in a fair amount under my price point ideals. I know it may sound like I'm complaining about not spending enough money but I have always believed in you get what you pay for. If anyone has any suggestions please pass them along, brand specific models if possible.

Thanks for any help, BigRyan

Displaying Posts 16 through 30 of 30
DOJER
DOJER
3/21/12 10:45 AM CST
Take a look at H_S Precision, Cooper, Kimber and Remington custom shop. Most of these are over your price point, but you get what you pay for. Since quality is your priority, get a rifle built just for you to fit your specifications perfectly.........and it would be a rifle you could brag about!

HSB
HSB
3/21/12 9:31 AM CST
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING....until you take a good hard look at the Browning A-Bolt Mountain Ti 300WSM. They list for over $1700 and you can buy one now for under $1000 due to the introduction of the X-bolt Mountain Ti.

I have 2 of them....light as a feather (re. short action), bulletproof - stainless barrel and Titanium receiver with high end synthetic stock.

Note: There is a bit of recoil!!!

I have VX-111's on both of mine and love them like my children

Big Smile.

huntfish
huntfish
Level: MEMBER
3/20/12 9:42 PM CST
I have an Browning synthetic A-Bolt 7mm short mag and absolutely love it. Shells are not hard to find, unless of course you try to buy the week before season. Stock up after the season when on sale. I thought about the 300 mag at the time, but decided overkill for me.

Steve @ G & S
See Profile
3/20/12 9:13 PM CST
There's all kinds of good rifles out there. Which one FEELS the best to YOU???

I have a custom .300 Win Mag. based on a Remington 700 action. It's a tack driver. Of course, it has a custom barrel, a specially designed muzzle brake, a Jewell Trigger and a McMillian stock...

Formerly Steve @ G & S

bassmaster+recordracks
bassmaster+recordracks
3/20/12 5:20 PM CST
I would like to add I would stay with winmag and stay away from the ultra and short. Great rounds until you have to pay for them or have to find them in a hurry.

bassmaster+recordracks
bassmaster+recordracks
3/20/12 5:17 PM CST
No offense one shot but ruger should stay with the revolver. BDL,S look good shoot good and are affordable.

One shot one kill
See Profile
3/20/12 4:26 PM CST
No mention of Ruger ?

Lectrotech
See Profile
3/19/12 11:28 PM CST
How accurate do you want ? Standard hunting ranges or half mile away ? They are all good brands, I like my Rem. M700, crisp trigger, fast lock time, mounts nice. Stainless and synthetic good choice. For the money you are spending you can look into some of the smaller makers of custom type guns.

CATCHIN
CATCHIN
3/19/12 9:00 PM CST
I have three Browning BBR rifles of various calibers and all are tack drivers at long range. Beautiful guns with a solid 60 degree bolt , the kind of gun that when you open the bolt it doesn't rattle...find one to look at before you buy , you'll see.The "newer" model the A-Bolt is also nice, I am looking myself to add a .325 wsm...after having the opportunity to shoot one this past fall.This has the velocity of a .300 win mag in a lighter shorter action, knockdown power of larger 338.I felt recoil, but it is a power cartridge, suited for elk etc..wouldn't be afraid to use on big bear also.good shooting

jlkohl
jlkohl
3/19/12 11:59 AM CST
Ryan - I bought a .300 WSM Sako Finnlight several years ago. It's incredibly comfortable/light and accurate. The action is the smoothest of any rifle I checked before buying this one. A lifetime investment and never second guessed my decision.

theimer
See Profile
3/19/12 11:09 AM CST
Your not going to get straight answer on here it's going to be a Chevy vs ford or any top name brands argument.

I have a Remington in 7mm remington mag. I bought it used 5 years ago and I am pretty hard on my equipment. It still shoots great. I think scope and the right ammo for the gun is more important then brand of gun. I have heard good things about savage also but never had one yet.

If I was going spend that much on a gun I would get the r25 in .308 but thats just me.

[This post was last edited on 3/19/12 at 11:10 AM]
ditto
ditto
3/19/12 10:17 AM CST
Just my opinon but I would buy either a Browning, Winchester, Remington, or other well known brand. But I would not buy a Savage. I know people like their Savages and they are an accurate and reliable gun but IMHO they are just butt ugly. If you are going to spend the money I feel you should be proud of it and I just couldn't be proud of something that ugly!

Displaying Posts 16 through 30 of 30
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook